Who's happened upon the fever (beaver)?

I spent a handful of days about 3 weeks ago on a steelhead trip in Idaho. The way we fish this particular area is wade fishing nymphs. Throughout the course of the trip iced up eyes on the rods were a problem about every 20-30 minutes and i became incredibly proficient at using my mouth to basically bite, lick, slobber, melt the ice off the eyes when it became impossible to cast (you're welcome for that visual). Throughout the course of the 4 days I probably ingested a fair amount of river water through this process. Fast forward to last week and I get hit with a wave of fatigue like I've never felt, accompanied by loss of appetite and a run in with the porcelain throne (not extensive but off and on for a couple days). I went to urgent care and had a full blood test along with a ct scan of my abdomen and both came back negative to anything other than slight dehydration. I'm going on a week and a half now and the trips to the bathroom have mostly returned to normal but the fatigue/nausea kind of comes and goes in waves and still struggling to eat, when I do it's followed by gurgling in my stomach and left side and some decent gas. I've also had off and on weak cramps along my left side of my abdomen the entire time. No fever at any time and no other symptoms but I'm beginning to think I may have ingested that lovely little parasite. I'm going to my primary care dr. on Thursday but was wondering if anyone else had any stories of the beaver fever (you can spare the fine details), I'm going crazy googling symptoms. Thanks!

IMG_9619 (8).JPG

For me it was a 3 month slow slide where I wondered what lethal ailment I had. I was scoped in several directions and had many tests. Lost 13 lbs on my 165 frame and looked like the walking dead. Was mainly an annoying "what is wrong with my gut" ordeal until the end when I got flu like sick and was worried. I actually insisted on a Guardia test which came back positive. The drug they give you knocks the organisms on their butt right away. No fun. Others had it show up full force in a few days but for me it was a slow progression. TMI but the gas would clear the SuperDome! Like nothing you have ever smelled.

I spent a handful of days about 3 weeks ago on a steelhead trip in Idaho. The way we fish this particular area is wade fishing nymphs. Throughout the course of the trip iced up eyes on the rods were a problem about every 20-30 minutes and i became incredibly proficient at using my mouth to basically bite, lick, slobber, melt the ice off the eyes when it became impossible to cast (you're welcome for that visual). Throughout the course of the 4 days I probably ingested a fair amount of river water through this process. Fast forward to last week and I get hit with a wave of fatigue like I've never felt, accompanied by loss of appetite and a run in with the porcelain throne (not extensive but off and on for a couple days). I went to urgent care and had a full blood test along with a ct scan of my abdomen and both came back negative to anything other than slight dehydration. I'm going on a week and a half now and the trips to the bathroom have mostly returned to normal but the fatigue/nausea kind of comes and goes in waves and still struggling to eat, when I do it's followed by gurgling in my stomach and left side and some decent gas. I've also had off and on weak cramps along my left side of my abdomen the entire time. No fever at any time and no other symptoms but I'm beginning to think I may have ingested that lovely little parasite. I'm going to my primary care dr. on Thursday but was wondering if anyone else had any stories of the beaver fever (you can spare the fine details), I'm going crazy googling symptoms. Thanks!

View attachment 91704
Dip your rod eyes into the river every once in awhile instead of licking them 🤯

Doghed

WKR
Wow! I've had quail farts before but this is definetely a whole other level. Either you have a really long neck/tongue/arms, or you use a much shorter rod than I. Either way thats impressive.
Nice fish though.

OP
M
The air was too damn cold for the dipping method, within seconds of the dip you were frozen solid again. The problem was that you had to get all thenice off each eye, after one or two my fingers quit working. I realize the mouth method isn’t ideal but at the time it worked, I’m paying for it now.

Nick87

Lil-Rokslider
Different beaver fever than I'm familiar with. Thankfully (I think).

BuckSnort

WKR

View attachment 91704

I had it twice, both times I had your exact symptoms.. Also one of the times I got it was on a 4 day backpacking trip where we were filtering our water but I would wash my face off a few times in creeks so I'm guessing thats how I got it..

MarlinMark

Lil-Rokslider
Spray/wipe your rods with CorrosionX...... And everything else you value that has metal or electronics in it. Trust me or look at YouTube for the proof.

stonewall

WKR
pretty sure i had this back in junior high or high school on a fishing and white water trip with my family. it really ruined the vacation. i was spewing out both ends uncontrollably. i think i was only sick a couple of days, but it was awful

Ceo

FNG
I had the same symptoms. Left side pain, gas, bubble guts and Montezuma's revenge. It started getting bad about a week and half after. They gave me the Metro like mentioned above to kill it. I got it last summer on a scouting trip up in the Big Horns, Wy. We had to make a long hike to get water and were parched. My fault, I didn't double check my filter and make sure it was seated all the way. Took the first swig of water and tasted dirt. That did the trick. My sons used a steripen as a back up. They were fine.

mcr-85

WKR
I got it 2 years ago and it was the shits! :LOL:

My nephew got it on the same trip. Same symptoms as you. Gas, belching and sitting on the pot for about 24 hours. Then I was good.

sneaky

"DADDY"
This. This is why I don't fish much anymore lol. Didn't they tell you that licking rods is a bad idea? Catch a thousand fish... do they call you the best fisherman they know? Nope. But, lick one rod..." what's up rod licker?"

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

S.Clancy

WKR
I got it while working trail crew about a decade ago. Fatigue, diarrhea, etc. The worst part was the gas. Those giardia trophs make tons of gas when they're chewing on you. Flagyl and you're good.

kicker338

WKR
Before she died my mom used to can deer meat, open a jar about 6 months later and eat the whole jar I promise you will fart like you had beaver fever ha, ha.

Phaseolus

WKR
Yep, I’ve had it twice. The modern version cured with Metrinidazole wasn’t so bad since it was over quick. The first time, when i was 18 in the 70’s took a couple of miserable months to diagnose where I lost more weight than I could afford to. The cure back then killed only the cysts and eggs so it took a couple of weeks for the live ones to die out. It was miserable, no possible chance of passing gas without sitting on the throne or you’d have bloody mucus diarrhea in your shorts. Avoid it if possible...

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Didn’t use a filter once and 18 hrs later I felt like I would die lost five pds in two days and high fever ended up having to get meds and was not 100% for a full month never again 😤