Science of buck fever

Has anyone ever read or seen a decent science based analysis of buck fever. I have read a few articles over the years but most, like the Meateater article below, were only focused on heart rate.

I am curious to see if anyone has ever studied other aspects like adrenaline, cortisol and dopamine, among others.

Wrench

WKR
I wish I could get that back. I really don't get anything more from shooting elk than I do rocks.....other than elk make better table fare.

I love hanging out with the herd and love to eat the meat, but I have no love for the killing nor emotional attachment nor remorse.....and it kinda makes me sad that it happens that way.

A physiological study/comparison between very experienced/successful hunters and new/inexperienced/unsuccessful hunters would be really interesting to see.

Some people have borderline panic attacks while others have ice water in their veins. Experience obviously helps, but also, how many people do you know that actually practice shooting with an increased heart rate? There's a reason basketball coaches make players practice shooting free throws after doing sprints.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Thankfully after many, many years of hunting the excitement is still there. My hunting friends say that's what they like about me, when it's time to go on a trip my excitement level is that of a five year going on his first hunting trip with his dad. I hope I never lose that feeling.

ZCoastie

FNG
I've only been hunting for 2 seasons now so it's still very new to me. For my elk this year, as soon as I saw the bull step out into sight, my adrenaline was pumping and I was shaky. While I was still calm and methodical with my movements and breathing while setting up a shot, I was still shaking pretty bad with the excitement and such. Definitely noticed it even more after firing.

I suspect that will settle after some years, but at this point it's still part of a good story of the hunt as well as a good mental exercise in being able to perform well enough for a kill while adrenaline is pumping.

Like the others, it'd be a very interesting read/study to learn more about.

I have icy veins. Lol

Not gonna say my heart doesn’t beat, but I keep it together pretty well.

My wife is always surprised when the first thing out of my mouth after a shot is “Is the safety on?”
So many things to think about but I’m worried about getting shot accidentally way more than anything else.

grfox92

WKR
No more buck fever for me. That adrenalin rush is just gone. I'm not saying it isn't exciting, I just dont get shaky and worked up.

If anything I go into a "zone" of being Lazer focused and very intentional rather then shaky and heart jacked.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Yoder

WKR
I only get that archery hunting or if it's a big buck with a rifle. Either way, l've always been able to put it aside and shoot. I almost think it helps. Everything almost slows down and you have a singular focus.

Buck fever is a great way to determine what types of game to spend your time on. I’ve been at it since the age of 10 so I don’t get buck fever to the point that it’s difficult to execute a good shot, but some game gets the blood flowing and others don’t at all. I’ve prioritized my hunting based on that and gotten much more self-satisfaction for my efforts!

packer58

WKR
I'm 64 and have killed my fair share, it's very situational for me. Sometimes i'm an ice man and other times i'm a train wreck ....

Ice. Doesn't phase me in the least to shoot an animal anymore.

I certainly don't thank the animal for giving its life. It wasn't voluntary...

bigbassin

Lil-Rokslider
Buck fever is a great way to determine what types of game to spend your time on.
Good way to look at it.

I like duck hunting and it’s fun watching the birds work, but the actual shot is basically robotic for me. Feel I think less than with sporting clays.

With deer I’m amped seeing one close and absolutely get buck fever when one gets into range.

Lots of reports of good ducks being taken within 15 minutes of me in the last week, but I’ll probably drive an hour and a half to deer hunt instead this weekend.

huntineveryday

Lil-Rokslider
Some people have borderline panic attacks while others have ice water in their veins. Experience obviously helps, but also, how many people do you know that actually practice shooting with an increased heart rate? There's a reason basketball coaches make players practice shooting free throws after doing sprints.

Or, more specifically, how many people practice intentionally slowing down thier heart rate and respiratory rate as part of thier shooting routine? You don't practice shooting while your heart is racing, but rather get your system worked up, then practice slowing your system down to get a more controlled shot.

WoodBow

WKR
In my experience, it comes from wanting it so badly. Lusting for it, as rinellas brother would say.

How rare and how fleeting the opportunity is, is what affects the magnitude.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
14 responses, nobody answered the question-I’ll give it a shot. Lots of cold killers here tho 😳

I would guess the science is closely related to fight/flight syndrome. This is something my workplace studies and trains for incessantly. The mitigation of physiological responses greatly increases performance under stress, duress, distraction etc.
The “zone” someone above referenced is an amazing phenomenon-what the brain does and computes at such speeds is amazing. For the largest group, tunnel vision by far the greatest attribute. This is a blessing and a curse of course.
The “hard part” is realistic repetitions while removing as much artificiality of training as possible. We videotape all of it, and each persons response/action/decision/shot etc is so varied. Very interesting stuff.

505Wapiti

WKR
A physiological study/comparison between very experienced/successful hunters and new/inexperienced/unsuccessful hunters would be really interesting to see.

This is an interesting take and spot on about simple differences in people. My 13 year old is ice veins stone cold killer that seems to not get nervous or amped at all. It’s actually very intriguing to me because if he’s nervous at all it is definitely all bottled up inside with zero evidence of it externally.

It could also be tied to the amount of actual range time spent in preparation and learning to control breathing and shoot accurately vs the fire drill when the animal and shot are both first time experiences.

14 responses, nobody answered the question-I’ll give it a shot. Lots of cold killers here tho 😳

I would guess the science is closely related to fight/flight syndrome. This is something my workplace studies and trains for incessantly. The mitigation of physiological responses greatly increases performance under stress, duress, distraction etc.
The “zone” someone above referenced is an amazing phenomenon-what the brain does and computes at such speeds is amazing. For the largest group, tunnel vision by far the greatest attribute. This is a blessing and a curse of course.
The “hard part” is realistic repetitions while removing as much artificiality of training as possible. We videotape all of it, and each persons response/action/decision/shot etc is so varied. Very interesting stuff.
You’ll have to dig deep but some folks have looked at it in academia. Funny it hasn’t been looked at a little more closely by psychologists.