Who will shoot a cow elk this year?

Cow or Bull?

• Cow

• Bull only

Results are only viewable after voting.
As a rookie archer, I feel like if I have a shot on a cow I should probably take it. While I would love to take a bull, my pride needs to be smaller than the meat in the freezer.
An early mentor told me when I first started, "David, try and kill whatever you have an opportunity at. Bull or cow. Doesnt matter. Get used to the process. From field to table. It's a process. Get used to killing, field dressing and packing. Your time will come for big screaming bulls"

So I listened and went on a cow killing spree killing cows the next 3 years straight. I was trying to call bulls and cows kept coming in. But that's OK. I quickly put myself in the 10 percent club and was eating elk while others were eating tag soup. The 4th year I killed the bull in my avatar. A nice 320 + bull that fell where I took that photo. So I would echo what he told me when I first got started.

applesauce4000

Lil-Rokslider
An early mentor told me when I first started, "David, try and kill whatever you have an opportunity at. Bull or cow. Doesnt matter. Get used to the process. From field to table. It's a process. Get used to killing, field dressing and packing. Your time will come for big screaming bulls"

So I listened and went on a cow killing spree killing cows the next 3 years straight. I was trying to call bulls and cows kept coming in. But that's OK. I quickly put myself in the 10 percent club and was eating elk while others were eating tag soup. The 4th year I killed the bull in my avatar. A nice 320 + bull that fell where I took that photo. So I would echo what he told me when I first got started.
Yes Sensei

87TT

WKR
I’m not going out looking to shoot a cow or a spike but if one stands there in range and talks sh*t,……………well

Gerbdog

WKR

My Sensei instructed the same way.... same path for me! sans the 320 bull..... still raghorns for me

RemiR7

Lil-Rokslider
4 years of striking out in various ways in CO OTC and decided to burn my points on WY general this year. Absolutely shooting a cow.

AME

FNG
I will not pass up a shot on any legal Elk. I am too new to archery and have a limited amount of time/resources to hunt with

Mofarmboy

FNG
I’ll be headed to the bighorns in a general unit with a type 6 cow tag. Us midwesterners have to take what leftover tags we can get!!!

Buddy and I are going for second rifle (CO) this year. I checked and our unit still has leftover cow tags for the same season. Do you guys think one (or both) of us should get a cow tag instead of a bull otc tag to maximize our chances of being successful? That means at least one person would be giving up the opportunity to hunt a bull. Are the chances a good bit higher of finding cows?

applesauce4000

Lil-Rokslider
Buddy and I are going for second rifle (CO) this year. I checked and our unit still has leftover cow tags for the same season. Do you guys think one (or both) of us should get a cow tag instead of a bull otc tag to maximize our chances of being successful? That means at least one person would be giving up the opportunity to hunt a bull. Are the chances a good bit higher of finding cows?
Not a bad idea. Is the cow tag an A or B tag? If it's a b-tag you could get both.

applesauce4000

Lil-Rokslider
B but I don't really want to spend the money on both as a non resident.
Yeah, fair enough. Your guess is as good as mine as to what elk you'd run into. Last year I saw more cows while mountain biking in a heavy road hunting area than I saw all first rifle. Wish I had a cow tag then! I'll let others chime in too, but seems like you could maybe run into more cows, but you really never know.