Who uses a spotting scope?

When you have $5 or more grand tied up in optics, you can bet they are being used whenever possible.

broncoformudv

Lil-Rokslider
When you have $5 or more grand tied up in optics, you can bet they are being used whenever possible.

Well said! Heck I don't have half that invested in my optics and I still use them non stop. Even when on a hunt that I know won't require a spotting scope I bring it just in case.

broncoformudv

Lil-Rokslider
I didn't read Davids book, but I agree with what you just said!

I glass with the binoculars and then start a grid with my spotter. This works very well at longer distances and picking up small things like antlers tips and curls are much easier with the spotter and in some cases almost impossible compared to using a set of 10 powers binoculars.

This is exactly what I do as well and it works great. Another thing I will do with the spotter aside from the grid technique is look over probable areas with the spotter either before or after I do the grid. Funny how so many of us were never taught the grid or even heard about it yet we came up with it on our own.

I'll be using a spotter for the first time this year. I'll be in more open country so I plan on using it from vantage points like david's article says. Hopefully itll cut down the miles you have to walk and be worth the money I spent on the SOB.