Who is cashing in their points this year on Wyoming Elk

jonny5

Lil-Rokslider
5 points here...I think I'm gonna hold on for a little while.

jonny5

Riding my 5 out for a while. What r most of u burning them on? 31, 32, 35?

Last edited:

Lukem

WKR
I just found this thread, but I actually let my 4 points expire this last year (along with 8 moose points). Probably not the smartest thing to do, but at this point in my life, I knew that those tags weren't going to happen anytime soon, I could also see the writing on the wall with price increases and I had to make a choice on what I wanted to pursue. I did keep my sheep, deer, and pronghorn points, but since I've been happy going to CO for elk, WY was out. With the moose, I figured for a little more cash, I could go up north and get a big moose, and not a little shiras... Maybe someday, just not right now. Th one benefit is that I helped you all's draw odds by one... Makes a guy feel good...

OP
Rent Outdoor Gear

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Bummer - hate to see you lose your points Lukem. I understand the frustration a lot of guys have with bonus points and the draw systems of some states. For many species and highly sought after tags, they're unfair at best and useless to anyone wh didn't get on board in the first year or two. Doesn't do my kid any good who will NEVER have an opportunity to hunt sheep in states like AZ, UT, NV, MT, & WY.

However, WY elk IS worthwhile. There are plenty of tags to clean off the top bonus levels for most of the good hunts - save for a few that are really hot. I drew a dang good hunt with 4 last year. Granted, it ain't cheap to apply/hunt out of state! If you have the means I would not skip getting your point for WY elk.

I applied with some buddies this year who had points. Got my fingers crossed, but since I dragged the average way down our odds are pretty slim. We applied for the special tag since the regular price next year is only about $170 more than the special was this year. Wish us luck! If we don't draw the elk tag, I may attempt to dump my Antelope and Deer points this year. I have max for antelope and 6 for deer.

I think the odds will be a little skewed this year becuase I expect a lot of people to try to draw this year to avoid the fee increase. According to one WY F&G employee, the increase is all but signed, sealed and delivered. Count on it for 2013!

Coop

Lukem

WKR
I'll probably get back into the elk points after a few years, but right now, just starting a family, I figured the investment there would pay great dividends down the road. Both in the family and distantly second in hunting opportunity. When that time is right, I should be able to start pursuing a few more of these types of hunts and hopefully begin thinking about pulling a WY sheep tag, while I'm sitting at 9, is a ways down the road, but feasible, I hope. :)

One "benefit" to these increases in prices is that it will drop the # of applicants and increase draw odds for those that decide to stay in the game. It's a very narrow sighted benefit, but I won't get into that...

I think we'll probably try to draw our antelope this year. Our deer spot has been pretty easy to draw, but I'm not sure if we'll keep hunting it. It's an area with very few deer (and getting worse) and too many people with ATVs driving back where the BLM doesn't care to enforce their laws. Not a big deal if we dump that.

bobhunts

WKR
I have three for Elk in Wyoming now and I'll gain another for the next two years. Alaska this year and Colorado (home) following year and we will see then. I am setting on 12 pp's for deer in Colorado so that might be another year to skip Wyoming. Buy the time I'm ready I'll be doing some really hard research. Good thing is I know folks up there. Good luck to all of you. Seems some do pretty darn well in OTC units!Bob.