Who hunts alone?

Gobbler36

WKR
Hunt alone quite often
it did take some getting used to at first but now I very much enjoy it. The boredom sometimes would get to me because I’m a talker but that has worn off and is Incredibly e joyful and fulfilling

I've hunted alone more and more as I've gotten older. My dad can't really keep up physically anymore and doesn't really have the desire, my boys are too young and it's hard to find a hunting buddy that's on the same page. The biggest obstacle is my wife worrying about me being several hours away by myself. I just try to communicate with her and stay in touch. I do think that experiences are better when shared.

Hard to find consistent hunting buddies. Alot of talk but most don't follow through, come opening day. I only hunt solo because of these reasons. Take as many safety measures as you can but you can only mitigate so much risk, hunting alone or not.

Absolutely love hunting alone, but also have an irrational fear of the dark. 90% of my hunting is alone, but still get the heebie jeebies when dark comes. Funny thing is I'm more afraid in the dark near civilization than I am 5 miles back on the side of a mountain.

That being said, my love for hunting overcomes that fear every single time. I love solo backpack hunting for everything possible and enjoy the solitude it provides.

Hard to find consistent hunting buddies. Alot of talk but most don't follow through, come opening day. I only hunt solo because of these reasons. Take as many safety measures as you can but you can only mitigate so much risk, hunting alone or not.
That's no joke. I'll have friends that will say that want to go, but then when it comes time to apply they back out or kinda act like they're unsure. I've also had it where they won't buy points for any states even though they're planning on going eventually, then they decide this is the year and want to plan a hunt without any plan on where they want to go, no points, but only want to hunt with a rifle.

I hunt alone every season. Don’t really have buddy’s to go with. I just try to be extra careful and not worry about to rest too much. If I die doing it so be it. Died doing what I loved.

Beendare

WKR
I do a bunch of solo hunts but on the backpack hunts its usually no more than 6 days as its hard to bring enough food.
Solo really helps a guy focus on the hunting. I figure I’m safer in the backcountry than on a busy freeway.

OP
BBucks21

BBucks21

FNG
Thanks guys! Sounds like there are more people who hunt alone than those who hunt with family and friends 😂 Regardless, it’s good to have confirmed that it isn’t an irresponsible decision to hunt alone as long as you’re prepared and experienced.

Amand

FNG
Going solo let's me get out there alot more often then if I only waited until friends could go.

Hunting alone is great. I tend to be more successful when I'm solo. I enjoy not having to worry about others getting hurt, lost or just being uncomfortable. I also enjoy the fact that nobody is worrying about me if get back to camp late etc. I think hunting alone tends to afford the hunter more freedom to follow your gut without having to worry about wasting another person's time on a hunch. i do enjoy hunting with my dad and friends as well. Its just a different experience.