Who hunts alone?

flyfisher117

Lil-Rokslider
As I have gotten older I've struggled to make friends who hunt like I do.

Grew up essentially road hunting. Never much more than half mile from the truck. Zero interest in hunting like that anymore.

I would like to get into back pack hunting just can't commit the time or money at this point.

Struggle to find people that want to day hunt but still put in some mileage. So I usually end up hunting alone. I also usually end up not putting in long enough days just because I don't want to tangle with the critters that licve in the dark. 🤣

ROKnROAL

FNG
I am really pumped that someone posted about this. I have been searching here and podcasts for more guidance and advice with this topic. I used to hunt with my dad and uncle but gradually moved away from that as they only like to road hunt and were not successful. I had a falling out with my dad, partially because of my drive to do more, and we no longer talk. I have gone with three buddies hunting. Each one has a different personality and I enjoy hunting with all three of them but I will say, I always end up butting heads with each one of them. One of them doesn't listen to my advice and tells everyone where we hunt (new hunter) , one of them doesn't like to go to the next ridge, one of them doesn't pack for the hunt (he forgot game bags, didn't have a frame, or FOOD). All are great to go with but I have been drawn to hunt solo. This year I have made it a goal to go solo. I don't get any time off work this year so weekends is all I get and I think solo will be the only way I can make that happen and will feel good about not sharing where I kill something. Does anyone go solo in griz country? The grizzly's are moving around the State and it won't be long before they are in every mountain range. I struggle with hunting these areas solo.
Falling out with your dad, butt heads with all hunting partners…I wonder who is actually the problem in this scenario

Smallie

Lil-Rokslider
Hunting alone allows you to go on your own schedule and not rely on planning around other people. Had several trips planned with other buddies that at the last second they bail due to family reasons, work, kids, etc. Now I plan to go alone, throw out the invite, and if someone else comes then great but I won’t let that stop me from going.

An Inreach and a sidearm gives me enough security. I look up the nearest hospitals and phone numbers to where I’ll be hunting and give that info to family in case something happens and I’m not responsive after I’m supposed to be home. Hunting alone has also made me take less risks and I’m a little smarter about routes and doing something stupid, which is good for me.

Burnsie

Lil-Rokslider
I may go in alone this year - my brother and I have been back packing into some remote stuff in SW Colorado for several years and had another trip planned for this September. He just informed me, he severely tore out his shoulder last weekend, lining up surgery now. Unless he has a miraculous recovery, I may be going solo. At age 60, I don't know how many more times I'll be able to hunt the area like we do, got to do it while I still can. I have never hunted totally solo out west before, kind of exciting to think about. Getting this plan approved by the wife will be my next hurdle.

I do most of my hunting alone. Dad travels with me on all out of state trips but rarely ventures into the field any longer on said trips. Back home I’m alone 99% of the time.

Hippie Steve

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt alone with my horse. I hunt for trophy mule deer bucks and nothing else. Any other noise, smell, distraction, or interference from another person would have a negative effect on obtaining my goal, that's the discipline.

I have hunted alone 99% of the time. Day trips only, but my wife never really liked the idea of me being out alone. I do not have an inreach. Last year my son turned old enough to start hunting so he has been going with me (we actually mostly hunted his tag last year). Being responsible for another human while out in the middle of nowhere without reception has me thinking I want to get an inreach now. We are also going to be backpacking for overnight trips this year, which means we can get farther from the road, but also farther from help.

I hunt and scout alone probably 75% of the time, its really nice to make decisions on the fly and not have to conferr with anyone. Its not so nice when you get a heavy animal down and have to pack it out alone.

As far as safety... A pistol and an inreach is all you need. I've never been worried about my own personal safety when going out alone but im pretty sure of myself, maybe to a fault. I had a near death experience last year on a scouting trip that ill never forget.
Care to share about your near death experience? I think reading about other’s near misses can be educational.

WKR

WKR
Care to share about your near death experience? I think reading about other’s near misses can be educational.
I finished a brutal hike up to a new spot i was scouting that didn't produce so I got back to the truck and kept driving down a very narrow 2 track road that had a steep drop off canyon to one side. And this was early summer when there is still snow melt up high and the road was slick. I lost traction so I tried to back up but that made it worse and I started to slide down into the canyon. Threw it into 4wd put it in drive and turned the wheel towards the road and thats when I started rolling. I flipped over 8 times and went down the canyon 210 feet. I had no seat belt on and ended up in the back seat upside down. I was just waiting to lose consciousness and never wake up but by some miracle the only stand of trees on the hillside caught my truck and I came to a stop.

These pictures are from the highway patrol officer and the tow yard

Attachments

• IMG_0729.jpg
    IMG_0729.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0731.jpg
    IMG_0731.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_9192.jpg
    IMG_9192.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_9188.jpg
    IMG_9188.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_9190.jpg
    IMG_9190.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 75

idahomuleys

Lil-Rokslider
I primarily hunt with friends or my brother. Ive never gone on a solo overnight trip. When i have gone out rifle hunting solo on day trips, I am much more successful by myself. Like 80% success. Many unsuccessful archery day hunts solo. Has me reconsidering my rifle hunting plans this year to maybe sneak out a little more solo to see if the luck can continue.
I do have an inreach, that puts my wifes mind at ease whether hunting solo or with buddies.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

I hunt alone with the exception of deep backcountry archery elk. It sucks hauling an elk out by yourself under the pressure of spoilage to the meat. However, turkey hunting? Alone. I’ll call for you when I’ve tagged out. Elk/deer hunting near the truck or camp? Alone. I’ll call for you when I’ve tagged out. I hate waiting on people, I hate it when they move and spook an animal because they didn’t see it, I hate your terrible calling because you didn’t practice, I like waking up insanely early and walking in the dark, and I like going where I want to when I want to without arguments. Sorry, Gary, I’m not interested in taking a day off to hit the bar and the ladies. I’m kind of a jerk I guess but I only have so much time to hunt and I want to make the most of it. Garmin Inreach, Avenza map on my phone, .40 s&w pistol, FORLOH recco in my clothes, water filter, hammock to stay on the mountain if I get into them…leave me alone I’ll be fine.

So all of my family lives in Utah except for me. I’m curious how many of you hunt alone versus hunt in a group. I feel like I’m going to end up having to hunt alone at times if I want to hunt, but it makes me a little nervous for safety reasons.
I do, I personally prefer it. If I’m hunting with others, I’m not trying to fill my tags, that’s the only reason I hunt with others, to share their hunts… when I’m trying to fill my own tags, I’m solo.

It’s like 2 separate entities to me, and love both, but if there is 2 of us with tags, mine isn’t getting filled… I enjoy my alone time with my tags, and crave the solitude and pursuit with zero distractions. That has cost me some personal hunting time, I have got a lot of people into hunting, but that’s satisfying within itself, and I still get enough time to do my thing.

I can’t comprehend those who won’t go on hunts unless others do, I love my time alone in the woods, and would almost say I need that time, it’s how I decompress, those short periods of time living with no distractions

it’s funny you mention— I was about to add that I can’t really talk too tough anymore because my wife put her foot down on bear country solo a few years back. Which really sucks because I grew up hunting wilderness areas in NW Wy and it has just gotten too hard to work out plans with my younger brothers who have all moved out of state. But in fairness, the bear density and frequency of run-ins has grown exponentially over the last 20 yrs. I feel fairly confident going in solo with a rifle and sidearm but I would hate for something to go wrong just to prove her right lol.
Ironically that’s where I was referencing. I have been in there a couple times just not solo. You’re really right about the bear density. Look at those kids last fall outside of Cody shed hunting. Last time I went in, warden checked me and he said there were 3 in the basin all within a mile. Do you find that no one wants to go in?

I finished a brutal hike up to a new spot i was scouting that didn't produce so I got back to the truck and kept driving down a very narrow 2 track road that had a steep drop off canyon to one side. And this was early summer when there is still snow melt up high and the road was slick. I lost traction so I tried to back up but that made it worse and I started to slide down into the canyon. Threw it into 4wd put it in drive and turned the wheel towards the road and thats when I started rolling. I flipped over 8 times and went down the canyon 210 feet. I had no seat belt on and ended up in the back seat upside down. I was just waiting to lose consciousness and never wake up but by some miracle the only stand of trees on the hillside caught my truck and I came to a stop.

These pictures are from the highway patrol officer and the tow yard
Glad you’re still upright sucking air!!!

Wundy

FNG
I've always hunted alone and often wondered if I'm missing out on "deer camp". However, I've always appreciated the peace and quiet as well as ability to do what I want.

I've always hunted alone and often wondered if I'm missing out on "deer camp". However, I've always appreciated the peace and quiet as well as ability to do what I want.
I like deer camp during late rifle in NE Washington. We just still hunt so you can hunt dawn to dusk and have plenty of time at camp to make dinner, have a campfire, have some bourbon and still get 8 hours. The hunt is a last ditch effort to fill tags and no one takes it too seriously. Have a good time, hope to stumble on a forky.

Compare that to bear, deer and elk seasons August-October and I'd rather skip the whole socializing at camp experience. Take those hunts more seriously and I enjoy a mix of going solo or grinding with a buddy or two that I know have the same mindset and drive.

croben

Lil-Rokslider
I prefer to be out with my dad and/or a buddy, but I don’t let them not going limit my time in the woods. If they’re not available, I’m going solo.