Who here hunts with AICS mags in a bolt action

rickyw

FNG
How do you like them? Do you ever have to worry about the magazine dropping out of the rifle if it gets caught on thick brush? Lots of thick stuff up here in AK to bushwhack through

How comfortable is carrying a rifle with AICS mags. Seems the magazine would dig into you if you slung the rifle across your back.

Thanks

I usually carry my rifle in a sg sling and don't really notice it with 5rds and 10 rds mdt poly mags in a krg bravo. I am though using qd cups on the side of the rifle if I do carry in a sling. never thought of it falling out.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I use Greyboe bottom metal and the latch is inside the trigger guard, in the same place as some hinged bottom place. So, it’s hard to lose it.

It’s the tactical bottom metal that has the big lever for east mag changes.

When not carrying ready to kill, I wrap my rifle in our scoped action armor. It kept my scope and action clean and dry after 9 days caribou hunting this year. Even if I were to manage to hit the mag release, it would only fall into the wrap.

Jbuck

FNG
I've set up a couple of hunting rifles with dbm and they are nice for some things. Usually keep extra rounds in a spare magazine in my bag vs a ammo wallet. The 3rd mags are pretty flush fitting, not quite as flush as a bdl setup, but close enough. The one downside is they can rattle, but with tape or some loop side of the velcro can help a lot.

I use an aics magazine on my main hunting rifle and I like it well enough. Feeds better than my Hawkins hunter mag. Mag release is in the trigger guard.

CMP70306

Lil-Rokslider
All my bolt guns use AICS mags and have for the past 5 years and the only issue I ever had was one time the lever got bumped in a tree stand and I dropped the mag. This was a Stocky’s bottom metal with the latch sticking well below the trigger guard.

I’ve since switched to ones with the mag release as either part of the trigger guard or right next to it like the Hawkins or HNT26 and haven’t had an issue since.

DW1996

FNG
Never had one fall out on me, but the metal mags are definitely noisy compared to the composite ones.

diverc18

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Tikka in a Krg Bravo. I have never had a mag fall out. I also don’t like slings. I don’t mind hand carrying it. The balance point on my setup it’s right after the magwell which helps when hand carrying.

robtattoo

WKR
My little Ruger has a poly AICS 10rd mag & I really wish someone would make a 5rd in .223
I carry it either in hand, which isn't ideal, or in a gunbearer. The only way to comfortably hand carry is by the scope.
It has a short eject lever with a hefty spring & I'm not worried at all about it dropping.

Wrongside

WKR
I have one ‘hunting rifle’ set up for AI magazines. APA M5 RTG bottom metal, combined with the MDT poly 3-rounders, is the way I use it most. The metal 5 to 12 round mags just get in the way and are more than needed for my hunting. The only downside to the poly MDTs is their relatively short OAL.

fishdart

Lil-Rokslider
My go-to rifle is set up with an AICS system. The 3-round MDT mag is darn near flush and carries very well. Despite the large release lever, I've not had an accidental drop scenario.

Attachments

• 20221210_094514~3.jpg
    20221210_094514~3.jpg
    615.6 KB · Views: 41

Luke S

Lil-Rokslider
My Ruger Scout rifle uses them. I've carried it a lot and a lot of kids have borrowed it for their first hunt. Never had a mag fall out.

I don't like the 10 rounders but the 3 and 5 round mags are great. I usually have the 3 round in for normal hunting (150 gr SST). I had a 5 round mag with heavier "bear" loads. If ELDX/ELDM bullets are as good as they say I plan to ditch the double load system but I'll probably keep 2 mags.

Oh I picked up an MDT flush fit 3 round mag. I like it a lot. The true flush fit is nice and it seems good quality.

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
I echo what others have said. No problems running aics mags for 10 years.

If it is strictly a hunting rifle though, I would just go with a hinged floorplate as I never bring an extra magazine anyway

You can trim the release on the bottom metal down to prevent it easily releasing
Mdt makes a flush fit 3rd mag for many calibers

SouthPaw

WKR
How do you like them? Do you ever have to worry about the magazine dropping out of the rifle if it gets caught on thick brush? Lots of thick stuff up here in AK to bushwhack through

How comfortable is carrying a rifle with AICS mags. Seems the magazine would dig into you if you slung the rifle across your back.

Thanks
I had a mag drop out of my KRG Bravo bushwhacking through the thick stuff in Alaska. After that hunt I removed the "wing" from the mag release and have had no issues since.

Weldor

WKR
Pretty much all the above. Never had issues. The flush fit are nice if your worried about carrying it or loss.

Woitey

FNG
I have a Cooper Raptor in 6.5 CM, using 5 round steel AICS mags. While it didn't come out, I somehow activated the mag release while carrying it on my back and could feel the mag come loose. Magpul mags for some reason won't chamber a round in the gun.

The only issues I have had with AICS mag set-ups on rifles is the mag rattling around. The newer setups like the Hawkins Hunter and the set-up that WKR posted above solve that issue and I will probably end up giving them a try on my next build (most likely a .22 Creed).