Who Checks Their Zero?

Juan_ID

WKR
Classified Approved
Check zero? With the rokslide special? Is that a serious question?60% of the time it’s unnecessary every time… All joking aside I don’t typically check zero after initial zero’ing. Until this year I would shoot once or twice before season and go hunt.

I did check my dope at random times when the hunting was slow this season. Find a rock, range, dial and shoot, I didn’t see enough “shift” to make any corrections. I’ve gotten to enjoy the shooting and reloading aspect a whole lot more this season and have shot more rounds in the last year than I have the previous 15.

Did good shooting my rifles this summer and getting lots of shooting in. Still checked my rifles in between hunts to take any doubt out of my mind. One was two inches left after an Idaho hunt but I'm hoping it's from the scope hitting a tote in the wall tent when the sling slipped off my shoulder (unloaded) but it is a Vortex and I'm not liking what I've heard lately about Vortex holding zeros. It's a Vortex Viper 4x16x50 LRH.

Vern400

WKR
I check zero yearly, or anytime I bump my rifle hard. Otherwise I just check that no screws are loose. I don't change ammo or swap scopes often. So I started using Game Reaper mounts which is the most solid mount made if you can stomach buying new stuff when you swap around.

I zero at 200 and confirm the dial at the range I'm shooting. Be aware that if some scopes sit for years, and then you dial them, the poi might not move until you bump the gun or shoot once. Even really good scopes. I've chased a zero around once because of that.

Juan_ID

WKR
Classified Approved
Posted this in the 223 thread, but I did a zero check after swapping the 223 action into my primary stock and threading the suppressor on. Suppose I could go a click to the left.70FB18CA-0F93-4EC0-AEAC-F31BAB25603F.jpeg

Suppressor off, cleaned rifle, suppressor on. Fouling shot, followed by a 5-shot zero check
View attachment 496212

Let’s see some photos guys!

Scope over time/use
Suppressor off/on cycles
Barreled action out/in chassis/stock
Your fouler shot, were you holding the same as the group? Do you compensate for that on first shot? The rest of the group is great, but that fouler could be a concern

I don’t do anything with a clean barrel, so I don’t care about where a fouler lands. After that/those 1-3 fouling rounds (depending on barrel) it’s the same POI until I clean again, which is typically every 200-300 rounds(ish). Clean. Foul. Then back to same POI.
Thanks. Usually all of mine are “foulers” but I use the some POA.

Agreed. Post #47 has a fouler from a clean bore. Post #2 has a quite a few “cold bore/cold shooter” shots. My experience is that cold bore is not a thing.
I've seen cold bore be a hair of a thing. But not enough to be accounted for.
And id also say it may be more about me settling into the rifle. Then the rifle its self doing something.

Macintosh

WKR
I zero every season, whether I need to or not. I practically OWN those 75 or 100 paces to get to the back of the gravel pit. Dont really know what all the fuss is about, havent had to adjust since I can remember, and I haven't missed that milk jug yet.

Macintosh

WKR
Legit question though—when folks say they zero “before a hunt”, are you referring to a week or two trip where you travel to hunt?
I grew up hunting weekends all season (season=mid ovtober through mid dec) from home, ie no “trips”, just walk out the door or drive a few miles down the road, it’s just what people did on weekends in the fall. The closest thing to a “trip” we ever did would be a “deer camp” type of affair for opening weekend which was basically a 3-day weekend family/friends “slumber party with guns”, but also just a few miles down the road. Because of this no one I ever knew zeroed for a HUNT, they zeroed for a SEASON. Otherwise zeroing for a hunt would be like zeroing for saturday after chores are done.
If an airline baggage handler or more than 1 state worth of deteriorating interstate hiway is involved in my hunt, yeah, Im inclined to check my zero and dope.

Last edited:

Rich M

WKR
THE ILLUMINATOR—striking fear in the hearts of man and beast LOL
I still have mine, 1990 version. Checked it against a 2015 Viper at 10:30 at night (there are a few street lights around). I could see the reticle well enough to shoot, but not the Viper’s.

They were many years ahead of the competition. Only thing i dont like on it is the eye box. Zero has shifted none.

Last edited:

Rich M

WKR
Legit question though—when folks say they zero “before a hunt”, are you referring to a week or two trip where you travel to hunt?
I grew up hunting weekends all season (season=mid ovtober through mid dec) from home, ie no “trips”, just walk out the door or drive a few miles down the road, it’s just what people did on weekends in the fall. The closest thing to a “trip” we ever did would be a “deer camp” type of affair for opening weekend which was basically a 3-day weekend family/friends “slumber party with guns”, but also just a few miles down the road. Because of this no one I ever knew zeroed for a HUNT, they zeroed for a SEASON. Otherwise zeroing for a hunt would be like zeroing for saturday after chores are done.
If an airline baggage handler or more than 1 state worth of deteriorating interstate hiway is involved in my hunt, yeah, Im inclined to check my zero and dope.

Pretty much same thing. If you got a 9 day elk hunt down the road youd check your zero. If you
Miss an animal you check your zero. Drop the gun check your zero, etc.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I still have mine, 1990 version. Checked it against a 2015 Viper at 10:30 at night (there are a few street lights around). I could see the reticle well enough to shoot, but not the Viper’s.

They were many years ahead of the competition. Only thing i dont like on it is the eye box. Zero has shifted none.
That is a great post. I’d had never guessed that. Thanks!

A check zero (100 yard zero) before I start shooting at farther distance or practicing field positions.
Couple years ago, I started keeping a file on each rifle I use. I have a round count, a target or two from each session, load info or bullet info.