Who can cut down a fluted barrel?

Bowfinn

FNG
You won't be happy with the results imo, better off buying a take off barrel or just order one. Better yet just sell the roughtec and but a standard ss tikka then your $500 ahead and it's the rifle you want.
If it’s a roughtec barrel you can have it threaded 5/8-24. I have a roughtec barrel that I had cut and threaded to 5/8-24 at 18 inches.

BBob

WKR
Bearing surface for the suppressor to mount to, this is why you don't see rifles in mag cartridges being threaded 1/2x28.
If done right with an adapter or threaded ring you get plenty of bearing surface for the shoulder. There are many ways to accomplish this depending on what you are starting with. Or am I missing something in your statement?

For example, from post #14:
IMG_3988.jpeg

AkRyan

WKR
If done right with an adapter or threaded ring you get plenty of bearing surface for the shoulder. There are many ways to accomplish this depending on what you are starting with. Or am I missing something in your statement?

For example, from post #14:
View attachment 750771
I'm aware it is possible but it is not ideal and your now relying on another part to keep things true. I'm NOT SAYING IT WONT WORK just that there are much better options and there is a reason you don't see this done by ANY fire arm manufacturers. Do as you please with your rifle.

BBob

WKR
This is exactly why custom gunsmithing exists. Manufacturers have never offered everything that people want. As I said if done right there are absolutely no issues with it "running true" so yah I'll carry on as I please :)

AkRyan

WKR
This is exactly why custom gunsmithing exists. Manufacturers have never offered everything that people want. As I said if done right there are absolutely no issues with it "running true" so yah I'll carry on as I please :)
Your not even the op why are you listening to what I think? Just because a smith will do it doesn't make it right. Ive never seen someone order a custom fluted barrel with flutes all the way out to the end either.....can you order one this way???? No because they won't make it and put there name on it even if you ask them to.

Andouille

Lil-Rokslider
Bearing surface for the suppressor to mount to, this is why you don't see rifles in mag cartridges being threaded 1/2x28. Will it work....sure, is it ideal......not at all.
If it was a great idea we would see them on shelves in gun stores.
We do see 1/2-28 threaded pencil barrel magnums from Weatherby rifles, and their barrels are about as thin as it gets. Not cut into the flutes, but the minimum wall thickness is probably similar.

Manufacturers don't cut into flutes because why would they, given that they can make/order barrels to their liking. The fact they don't do it isn't a definitive point against anything other than visual appeal to customers.

Last edited:

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
People who say it is bad to cut through flutes or shoulder against flutes know little to nothing about machining. Full stop.

And if they are just repeating what their gunsmith said... well their gunsmith is a novice machinist

Square is square. Threads are threads. You couldn't bend a suppressor out of concentricity any more easily on this than on a "conventional" muzzle
IMG_4226.jpeg