Whitetail Processing - First Time

Wolfshead

FNG
Plastic or metal tubs, trays are nice for dividing steaks, roasts, and grind pile as you go. Really handy for elk.

We still do plastic wrap and freezer paper. Every once in a while we’ll find a pack that is 3-5 years old and we’ve never had an issue with freezer burn.
Could you please explain your process for packaging?
I’ve often heard people say that they had never had a problem with freezer burn using your method.
Interested in any tips and suggestions

Could you please explain your process for packaging?
I’ve often heard people say that they had never had a problem with freezer burn using your method.
Interested in any tips and suggestions
Sure.

For deer, I’ll do the whole thing at once. Elk, a quarter at a time.

Break down into steaks, roasts and grind. The grind meat gets cut into strips so they will feed easier when I make burger. This goes into gallon ziploc bags until I grind burger later.

Steaks and roasts go on a piece of plastic wrap (I buy the big rolls from Costco) that is about 12-14” long or so. Get as much air out as you can, this goes quick.

Tear off a sheet of freezer paper about 12” long. The meat goes about the middle. Fold up from the bottom, in from the sides, then roll it towards the top. A piece of freezer tape to hold it, label it.

Wolfshead

FNG
Sure.

For deer, I’ll do the whole thing at once. Elk, a quarter at a time.

Break down into steaks, roasts and grind. The grind meat gets cut into strips so they will feed easier when I make burger. This goes into gallon ziploc bags until I grind burger later.

Steaks and roasts go on a piece of plastic wrap (I buy the big rolls from Costco) that is about 12-14” long or so. Get as much air out as you can, this goes quick.

Tear off a sheet of freezer paper about 12” long. The meat goes about the middle. Fold up from the bottom, in from the sides, then roll it towards the top. A piece of freezer tape to hold it, label it.
Thank you!
I’ve never had the opportunity to hunt Elk, but I process deer similar to the way you do it.
I may try your method of plastic wrap and freezer paper. The Vacuum sealer is good but it can take for ever sometimes depending on how much you have to do.
I’m usually alone doing it.

waspocrew

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you!
I’ve never had the opportunity to hunt Elk, but I process deer similar to the way you do it.
I may try your method of plastic wrap and freezer paper. The Vacuum sealer is good but it can take for ever sometimes depending on how much you have to do.
Agreed - vac sealer does take a while.

waspocrew

Lil-Rokslider
Lot of good suggestions for equipment already.

Print out a half-paged sized picture of front/rear quarters that show the different cuts, laminate them, punch a hole in the corner and run a zip tie or ring through it to make a flip book of all the different cuts of meat. It makes for an awesome reference book while your processing and because it’s laminated, you can get it bloody while you’re working and wipe it off with paper towels when you’re done 👍
That's an excellent idea. I started processing at home last season and once deboned, it was a little difficult to remember the different cuts.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
Vacuum sealing tight is superior to plastic wrap and butcher paper for long term storage and avoiding freezer burn. Don't believe anyone who tells you otherwise.

Same. Usually takes me about 1.5 hours per quarter on an elk and maybe 2-2.5 hours to do a deer.

I plastic wrap everything, then tear off all of my freezer paper and my tape strips. Then I paper wrap everything and label at the end.

Buy freezer paper in the biggest bulk you can and it’ll save you money.

Last edited:
Vacuum sealing tight is superior to plastic wrap and butcher paper for long term storage and avoiding freezer burn. Don't believe anyone who tells you otherwise.
I mean if the fluke something package doesn’t freezer burn in 3-4 years in wrap and paper, how much better is a vacuum sealer?

Seems to me they are both effective ways of doing the same thing.

My experience has been the opposite, but I've only used a cheap Amazon sealer with cheap Amazon bags so maybe that's why. Most of my vacuum-packed meat has survived just fine, but occasionally I'll find something with quite a bit of freezer burn on it. In some cases, I think the seal failed in storage (possibly from being jostled around when rummaging through the freezer), and in other cases I may not have gotten a good initial seal. OTOH, I've opened 4 year old pieces of meat hand-wrapped in paper and plastic that still looked pristine.