Whitetail packs

I am starting hunting this year.
I am getting a little overwhelmed with packs...I will be mobile hunting in pa saddle and blind hunting. Is there too big? Is there to small? Are kuiu packs really as loud as people say? Do I need a meat shelf? Or internal vs external frame?

rcb2000

WKR
Lots of good options.
Is there too big? Depends, for me I hang my backpack in the tree, so yes, there is a limit.
Is there too small? Depends. Early season I can get away with a fanny pack from Badlands,, late season when I'm carrying in extra clothes and a coffee thermos,, I need my Kifaru Shapecharge.
Never used a Kuiu pack, but if thats a concern, go with the Sitka ones made of the soft material.
Do you need a meat shelf? Depends, are you going to drag the deer out? In the PA woods I can't imagine there's many places too deep to drag a deer in a jet sled left at the truck.
I personally dont think you need an external frame.

What is your budget?

Welcome.

I hunt PA among other places.

for packs, there are lots of options. A lot depends on how and where you hunt. honestly you may not need much of a pack for short walks from the truck. As far as a meat shelf, are you gonna pack out a quartered deer? If yes, then one can be handy.

as far as packs, I use a mystery ranch pop up 40. It handles my winter layers and an occasional tree stand plus I can pack a quartered deer when necessary.

I think I would figure out how much pack you need to haul in your saddle gear plus other stuff and work from there.

Lowg08

WKR
I’ve had exo, stone glacier, Gregory, badlands and kuiu. So far. The kuiu is my favorite. Not loud in my opinion. I hunt in a situation to where I’m packing out. If not I would suggest a 2200 badlands. I use a badlands monster Fanny pack for scouting and camera trips and such.

OP
B
Lots of good options.
Is there too big? Depends, for me I hang my backpack in the tree, so yes, there is a limit.
Is there too small? Depends. Early season I can get away with a fanny pack from Badlands,, late season when I'm carrying in extra clothes and a coffee thermos,, I need my Kifaru Shapecharge.
Never used a Kuiu pack, but if thats a concern, go with the Sitka ones made of the soft material.
Do you need a meat shelf? Depends, are you going to drag the deer out? In the PA woods I can't imagine there's many places too deep to drag a deer in a jet sled left at the truck.
I personally dont think you need an external frame.

What is your budget?
I have a feeling me quartering is going to be the best option were I am going to be hunting, trying to keep dead deer out of as many people eyes as possible. As I will be in a more urban setting, but I could be wrong.

rcb2000

WKR
I have a feeling me quartering is going to be the best option were I am going to be hunting, trying to keep dead deer out of as many people eyes as possible. As I will be in a more urban setting, but I could be wrong.
I hunt VERY urban areas here in VA.
Jet sled with a tarp on top does great.

I also have to take the whole animal out, can’t leave the ribs/spine, so easier for me.

Quarters in many internal frame packs would be a breeze.
Kifaru Shapecharge is my choice.

rcb2000

WKR
I’ve had exo, stone glacier, Gregory, badlands and kuiu. So far. The kuiu is my favorite. Not loud in my opinion. I hunt in a situation to where I’m packing out. If not I would suggest a 2200 badlands. I use a badlands monster Fanny pack for scouting and camera trips and such.
That badlands Fanny pack is great for early season, love mine.

Gutshotem

WKR
I did ok with an eberlestock X2 hunting a similar situation. I'd say something like that or maybe a mystery ranch pop-up since I'd assume you're taking a stand in and out with you. If not, and you are leaving stands I'd go with something smaller and some kind of frame or hauler kept in the truck. Hunting an urban environment usually means a short hike so its easy to go back to the truck, drop gear and head back with a frame for the deer.

mvv5137

FNG
I travel back to Michigan to hunt my family’s deer camp every year. I’ve been using the MR Sawtooth for saddle hunting. I put my platform and sticks in the lid shelf. It’s great for the pack out and packs down pretty small if you’re not using all 45l. I also swap out the bag for my beartooth 80 when I’m back in WA, which is super convenient.

Just picked up a Cruzr Escape pack. If you dont need to pack out your deer I think it is the perfect size. Designed to hold sticks/platform and big enough to throw extra layers in when walking in cold mornings.

WayneKerr

FNG
I used cheap packs for a while, but then dropped the money on an Exo k3 4800. It's worth every penny. I haven't not used it on a hunt since I got it. I use it for saddle hunting, still hunting, Appalachian mountain hunting, and even turkey hunting. It's big enough to fit a lot of gear, but compresses down nicely when the space isn't needed. Very versatile and simple system. I can easily pack out a deer along with all my saddle gear strapped to the pack.

adamm88

WKR
If its pa public a Kifaru striker xl is about perfect, thr only think it doesnt do great for me is still hunting through brush i typically take my 14r if im doing that for a slimer profile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did a lot of backpacking with a kuiu pack, and a bit of hunting in Idaho. I really loved how light it was and how much could be stuffed into it. Never had a noise problem unless I was using the rain fly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jpsmith1

Lil-Rokslider
I'd say that, in an urban setting, a sled and a tarp might be easier.

Unless you're familiar with the process, your first couple attempts at quartering a deer are going to look more like a murder scene.

Chuck it on an orange sled, cover it with a blue tarp or wait till dark to haul it out.

Mrcrosno

FNG
Stone Glacier Avail 2200 works great for me for whitetail hunting till it gets pretty cold and I start packing a bigger jacket. Then I switch to the approach 2800 for more room.

The 2200 also works great for travel and any other general needs.