Whitetail on the brain

Lowg08

WKR
I know one thing. I’ve always dreamed of an elk hunt but the longer I chase whitetail the more focused I become. To the point I’ve shelved My western dreams besides mule deer. These Appalachian mtn whitetail are very challenging. Just wondering if I’m the only one that feels this way.

Macintosh

WKR
Any of those things are what you make of them. I am outside hunting, fishing, or scouting or planning for those things nearly every day, 365 days a year, but I dont have elk access at all...I'd be awfully frustrated if I didnt adjust my focus around my actual lifestyle, or adjust my actual lifestyle around my focus. Pick one, but I find fixating on something I don't have great access to is a recipe for frustration, so I'm not going to beat myself up over it. I'll travel every time I get an opportunity, and I will make opportunity happen, but heck yes I'm going to put the majority of my effort and thought into the package of things that shape my life on a day to day basis because of the other decisions and priorities I have. If elk were my be-all and end-all I wouldn't live where I do, and if I wanted them to be I'd tell myself to move or shut the heck up and find something else to do with my energy. Focusing on that which is accessible is no less rewarding, but I'm just a more pleasant person to be around, which can be seriously in question sometimes if anyone was wondering. I love to fly fish for giant trout too, and when I visit certain places you can bet I'm planning around that--but I spend a lot more time chasing bass because that's what I have locally and it's what offers the best, most rewarding experience on an everyday basis. I also love to date supermodels, but I have made other choices in life so I don't focus on that anymore and I'm happier for it. I think life is about choices or you're just a victim, and this applies to just about anything in life including elk and whitetails.

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
I’ve just had allot of time to think lately. When I find myself looking for hunting. Of course I have the western dream of a large bull screaming in my face at five yards with a bow. Also pulling off a stalk on a big mule deer with my bow. It just seems I’m always drawn to mountain deer. Just something about them. Especially these Appalachian mtn chain deer. I have no desire to hunt the big Midwestern deer.

No doubt elk hunting is fun. But I do love me some whitetail hunting. This will be my 23rd season chasing them. I’ve killed somewhere around 70-75 deer. Hasn’t gotten old yet. I was taking a jog around the golf course early this morning and ran up on two nice bucks. Got my heart really pumping!!

THRASH

FNG
With hunting season approaching, it’s all I can think about. So you’re not alone. Good luck this year fellas!

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
No doubt elk hunting is fun. But I do love me some whitetail hunting. This will be my 23rd season chasing them. I’ve killed somewhere around 70-75 deer. Hasn’t gotten old yet. I was taking a jog around the golf course early this morning and ran up on two nice bucks. Got my heart really pumping!!
I got some heart palpitations the other evening when I went glassing some balds and saw deer.

*zap*

WKR
Any hunting or any time spent in the great outdoors is a very good thing to participate in. Hunting can be as challenging as you decide to make it....everyone have a great hunting season this time around!

WCB

WKR
Grew up hunting whitetails and have a handful on the wall...have probably killed 120+ whitetails. They are fun but probably #5 or 6 on my list. Ill do it but stopped putting a bunch of effort into it...which is kind of funny as I have killed some of my biggest bucks putting almost no effort into scouting. Just kind of knowing tje area and hunting whenever.

DooleyVT

Lil-Rokslider
Really love getting into their world with them. It's addicting to try to blend in seamlessly to their landscape which is typically frustrating because they're damn good at surviving. They can be tough to beat in that environment and rarely off their game which makes me have to be on my game too. Super fun. Sounds crazy but I'm getting pretty excited for some cold quiet sits.

I get to chase Elk as a NR every year but stick a gun to my head and make me choose and it's mountain whitetails. This maybe because I live in mountain WT country and it's year round for me. Getting 6 or 7 tags for a hundred bucks helps. If I lived in an Elk state my feelings might be different.

FLATHEAD

WKR
I know one thing. I’ve always dreamed of an elk hunt but the longer I chase whitetail the more focused I become. To the point I’ve shelved My western dreams besides mule deer. These Appalachian mtn whitetail are very challenging. Just wondering if I’m the only one that feels this way.
Pretty much sums up my feelings the past couple years.
I've made several trips out West but lately I'm coming full circle.
Chasing Appalachian Whiteys is just good stuff.

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
Pretty much sums up my feelings the past couple years.
I've made several trips out West but lately I'm coming full circle.
Chasing Appalachian Whiteys is just good stuff.
It’s like playing chess with Bobby Fischer. In my opinion

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
I've hunted quite a few species, but none compare to a mature, public land, Mtn. Whitetail.
Pretty much like ghosts.
Dang right I’ve got one I’m after but it took me a whole year scouting and hunting to get close to him. Now I broke my leg. Hoping I can at least be able to try for him this December

Attachments

• 3247C87A-FD58-4BAB-B759-3CB92B387D7A.jpeg
    3247C87A-FD58-4BAB-B759-3CB92B387D7A.jpeg
    119.4 KB · Views: 11
OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
This deer should be 4.5 this year and I’m anxious to see what he is.

Attachments

• C6DBB00E-E8B3-4A77-8132-09E1EDA942C0.jpeg
    C6DBB00E-E8B3-4A77-8132-09E1EDA942C0.jpeg
    246.1 KB · Views: 11