Whitetail - I keep getting winded

Yoder

WKR
You can't beat a whitetails nose. All of the scent free products are a waste of time. They might get them to think you are a little farther away but they know you are there. I would either find a different spot, only hunt when the wind is good or possibly climb 20-30 ft up and drop milk weed to see if I could get high enough to carry my scent over the deer.

I usually use onx for most of my hunting, but I still use huntstand too. The wind cone feature is an awesome tool to let you know where to hunt before you pick out a stand/tree to hunt in. Obviously you can use a wind checker when you get somewhere, but knowing where it’s blowing before you get there is really beneficial. Side-note: don’t rely on huntstand’s wind cone if you’re hunting in the mountains or have thermals to deal with.

*zap*

WKR
A person looks into a stew pot and sees carrots, taters, meat and etc. A deer can smell all the different ingredients in a stew pot from a good distance if the wind or thermal takes that odor to the deer's nose. and his brain lists those ingredients for him, deer can smell a soybean under a foot of snow. What you need to do is figure out how to keep your odor from reaching the deer's nose. That cannot be done with any 'scent free' product it needs to be done with understanding how wind and thermal is effected by topography, heat and cold. If the wind or thermal is bad for a spot then do not go to that spot and if it is good then hunt it but if it changes get outta there......

Good luck.

Last edited:
The only effective scent control is being downwind. And it works incredibly well. Just do that and except for the rare random wind shift, your problem will melt away like magic.

Ahiuranch

FNG
The simplest way that I have found to be able to hunt all winds is a climbing stand or stand with sticks so you are able to be mobile. If you have a certain wind that isn’t good for your permanent stands then you just can’t hunt but if you have a mobile set up then you can adjust and hunt any winds as long as they are stable. You could also mix in spot and stalk if the deer aren’t crazy cracked out.

49ereric

WKR
wind discipline is best choice but can’t always be done so…
Copious amounts fox or coon urine after no scent spray but leave your outer clothes outside or spray no scent again before if entering the house.
Kick up dirt and I always put dirt on my fedora felt hat as well.
fools younger bucks enough in the rut who aren’t thinking…

I am a ground hunter, tonight had off and on deer all evening 11 total all around me at times, yes wind is a factor but sitting still with minimal movement is paramount. And bye the way the furtherest one was at any given time was about 35 yards.

FLS

WKR
Are you hunting from permanent stands? If so you' ve probably already educated them. They know where your stands are and are swinging downwind to see if you are there.

KenLee

WKR
Climb high and put vanilla flavoring on boots and a dab on your jacket.
Heck if I'm feeling extra stinky after work, I put vanilla on my mullet.
I hunt mostly "Civilization" deer.

Jumpman

FNG
Something to consider once you’ve identified that you’ve been winded, physically what do you do next? Being in SD where there is minimal hiding once winded (when not in a blind of some sort), I’ve found that being winded alone is not a deal breaker. One’s own body movement also plays a part and if careful, you can calmly outlast the deer and still get a shot in/on.

Something to consider once you’ve identified that you’ve been winded, physically what do you do next? Being in SD where there is minimal hiding once winded (when not in a blind of some sort), I’ve found that being winded alone is not a deal breaker. One’s own body movement also plays a part and if careful, you can calmly outlast the deer and still get a shot in/on.
I'll second this. I have a small piece of private I hunt. I get busted almost every time I go in there, it's narrow and lower 1/2 is field. Deer will blow at me walking in and I just keep going. Little while later same deer will be coming in on Alert but if they don't see me soon they are back to doing their thing.

49ereric

WKR
I'll second this. I have a small piece of private I hunt. I get busted almost every time I go in there, it's narrow and lower 1/2 is field. Deer will blow at me walking in and I just keep going. Little while later same deer will be coming in on Alert but if they don't see me soon they are back to doing their thing.
It is the tail up run off by the deer that hurts as a danger-alarm scent is released.
not really sure how to word that.
Lot of times deer just stand there ground still as can be and let you pass provided your not slow walking stop and go.

It is the tail up run off by the deer that hurts as a danger-alarm scent is released.
not really sure how to word that.
Lot of times deer just stand there ground still as can be and let you pass provided your not slow walking stop and go.
ya alot of time they stand there and blow a couple times then are uneasy for 30-45 minutes then go on about their day.