Whitetail Hunter Looking for Arrow Advice for Elk

Hi, I am looking for some feedback and advice on arrows for an upcoming elk hunt.

I am from Illinois and have only hunted white tail with a bow. I shoot a 65lbs compound bow and the arrows are Victory Vforce (pictured below.)

Can these arrows be used for elk? If not what type of arrow would work best?

Appreciate any and all help!

IMG_5840.jpg
IMG_5839.jpg

Bump79

WKR
Welcome! What bow are you shooting and what is your draw weight & length?

So long as you're properly spined I wouldn't sweat it. V Force are actually great for the budget range.

Focus on the broadhead. If low energy go with a COC fixed blade head like a Simmons Mako, Magnus Black Hornet, Contact VBS etc. If you've got some more punch then I'd go Exodus.

dtrkyman

WKR
Absolutely can be used for elk, probably putting you north of 400 grains for total weight which is great.

Get your bow tuned and sighted in well and go kill an elk!

Bump79

WKR
Absolutely can be used for elk, probably putting you north of 400 grains for total weight which is great.

Get your bow tuned and sighted in well and go kill an elk!
Seconded. Focus on your tune and broadhead selection/sharpness for elk. Practice at further ranges than you anticipate to shoot.

OP
C
Welcome! What bow are you shooting and what is your draw weight & length?

So long as you're properly spined I wouldn't sweat it. V Force are actually great for the budget range.

Focus on the broadhead. If low energy go with a COC fixed blade head like a Simmons Mako, Magnus Black Hornet, Contact VBS etc. If you've got some more punch then I'd go Exodus.
Thanks!

I shoot a Mathews V3x 33, 29 inch draw length, 65 lbs draw weight

Make sure if your building arrows to get weighted Inserts and heavy as heavy broadheads as you can shoot. The extra weight on front arrow will help broadheads penetrate. I’ve see. Large pull eat sum serious arrows and not even slow down. Also don’t be discouraged if you’re jumping elk a lot and chasing them. Keep swinging and catch 1 slipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks!

I shoot a Mathews V3x 33, 29 inch draw length, 65 lbs draw weight
You have more than enough. If those arrows are flying good, I wouldn’t touch it. That setup will work for any North American game animal. Like said before, pick a sharp broadhead. I prefer at least three blades but some swear by a two. Make sure it’s razor sharp and practice with a broad head. Just know that chances of longer shots go up with elk. I also always carry a couple expandable heads in case of a long range follow up shot.

Beendare

WKR
Make sure if your building arrows to get weighted Inserts and heavy as heavy broadheads as you can shoot. The extra weight on front arrow will help broadheads penetrate. I’ve see.
Actually, that could be very bad advice if it puts you under Spined. You do NOT want to be underspined with BH's..but over spined still works well.

Ckrum,
Its important to know a few key concepts that all of the SME's agree on; Perfect arrow flight is critical.

You get that from developing good alignment, proper form and release AND perfect arrow assembly. I

f you don't true the ends of your arrows and check to see if your BH's spin perfect- you will have accuracy problems with BH's. If you are under spined, you will not get your BH's to fly consistently.

The best practice is to tune the arrow to your bow which is; BH's grouping with FP's at distance. If you cannot do that, you don't have perfect arrow flight.

Very High tip weight is a rookie move...it's internet influencer BS. Stay in a normal range for forgiving and consistently good arrow flight.

Marble

WKR
Actually, that could be very bad advice if it puts you under Spined. You do NOT want to be underspined with BH's..but over spined still works well.

Ckrum,
Its important to know a few key concepts that all of the SME's agree on; Perfect arrow flight is critical.

You get that from developing good alignment, proper form and release AND perfect arrow assembly. I

f you don't true the ends of your arrows and check to see if your BH's spin perfect- you will have accuracy problems with BH's. If you are under spined, you will not get your BH's to fly consistently.

The best practice is to tune the arrow to your bow which is; BH's grouping with FP's at distance. If you cannot do that, you don't have perfect arrow flight.

Very High tip weight is a rookie move...it's internet influencer BS. Stay in a normal range for forgiving and consistently good arrow flight.
Well said. I like having a decently heavy arrow but I don't load it down so much it looks like I'm shooting a log through the air.

I'm glad I never bought into that extreme FOC stuff.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Those arrows would be fine, but depending on how long they are cut, might not be stiff enough for a Switch Weight cam in my opinion.

You probably want your shafts 28" or shorter.

Nothing to do with Elk, just for broadhead flight in general. Elk aren't much harder to kill than deer.

jbelz

Lil-Rokslider
Your arrows are fine. Don't go down any wild a$$ rabbit holes (like FOC) just because someone on the internet told you to. Tune, good broadhead, dead elk. If you can't get it to tune, then start looking at spine/length, like mentioned above, and go from there. I blow through critters every year and I honestly have no idea what my FOC is.

WCB

WKR
My dad shoots those arrows out of a Bowtech Patriot II. 60lbs and guessing 27.5 or 28" draw. Worked great on his elk last Sept. 35yds perfectly broadside broadhead stuck just out of the hide in the far side. Hit the bull through 1 rib near side middle height 4" back from shoulder.

Weak point of his system imo though was he was shooting Rages. I think a sharp cut on contact are even just a decent fixed point would have blown through completely.