White Oak upper

TNBuck2

FNG
I’m considering a new .223 for paper and steel out to 4-500 yards plus a possible prairie dog hunt. I realize that a Tikka T3X would probably be the easiest out of the box solution but just started to consider a WOA varmint or predator upper and clamping it on to my Spikes lower. I think I like the idea of the bull barrel WOA vs the sporter barreled Tikka. I realize Tikka offers a bull barrel in their Super Varmint but that’s an extra $1000 I’d rather not spend. Can anybody comment on accuracy of the White Oak upper on an existing lower? I’d be reloading so could hopefully find a good load.

Thanks

matthewmt

WKR
I have no experience with woa but I've heard great things, with that being said most modern ar15 rifles are capable of solid accuracy imo and as far as the ar goes they're very modular so that's a plus imo. All my tikkas are pretty standard and all shoot well also.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

kswaterfowl

Lil-Rokslider
I talked my buddy into buying a woa barrel, and it shoots just as good or better than my tikka 223. I don't think you can beat them for the price.

Dylan_907

FNG
Bought a WOA varmint contour 20" upper. Shoots solid and has done well with the cheap AAC 75 bthp from PSA.

Outside 4 circles are 20 round groups with AAC 75 bthp. Little circles in the top and bottom are the 77 OTM from AAC, I think a barrel clean and only using the 77's would tighten up groups. Middle circle I was checking cold bore zeros for a night vision on a different gun all together.

Overall I'll buy another barrel or upper from them.

Attachments

• 20240516_134139.jpg
    20240516_134139.jpg
    285.5 KB · Views: 19

Loco4dux

WKR
I’ve had one for a long time, decade plus, don’t remember the model name but it’s a heavy bull barrel varmint style, long barrel. Shoots great, very nice.

White Oak has a great reputation.
Don't overlook Rock River for a similar upper.
I've had two and they've both been shooters.
200yds-
1716227223725.jpeg

vonb

Lil-Rokslider
Here’s the first 20 shots out of a new WOA 20” Predator upper. It may shoot better than this as the gun was new and I was using a new Geissele SSA-E trigger.

aad292a0d677713e104272d85e889cd4.jpg

Mulyhuntr

WKR
Wyndham makes a very accurate varmint upper. Wish I hadn't sold mine. More accurate than my white oak barrel.

Long Cut

WKR
WOA make some of the finest barrels from my understanding.

I haven’t heard of any durability issues from their uppers, I am about to buy a WOA 18” complete upper myself. I’ve been looking into them for several years now. Tons of great YouTube reviews, as well as reviews on other forums such as Sniper Hide and the AR15 Forums.

OP
T

TNBuck2

FNG
Thanks folks! I ended up ordering a 20” varmint upper from WOA on Friday! Gonna top it with an Arken EP and see what she’ll do!

BTW, I could have saved money ordering a similar Rock River - they’ve got a 10% off deal for Memorial Day. I went with the White Oak but mention RR in case anyone is interested.

I had a 20” RRA predator pursuit that was pretty close to my T3x lite 223 in precision. Sold it because I just prefer shooting bolt guns.

flyfisher117

Lil-Rokslider
My 18" SPR white oak barrel started off shooting exceptionally well. Once it hit the 500 round mark accuracy started dropping off. It still shoots good enough but nothing like it did.

I have tried cleaning it, reworking the load, even tried a completely new load and just not getting the accuracy i saw out of the gate. Kinda bummed but it is what it is.

OP
T

TNBuck2

FNG
My 18" SPR white oak barrel started off shooting exceptionally well. Once it hit the 500 round mark accuracy started dropping off. It still shoots good enough but nothing like it did.

I have tried cleaning it, reworking the load, even tried a completely new load and just not getting the accuracy i saw out of the gate. Kinda bummed but it is what it is.
I wonder if White Oak might be able to help? They were really responsive to my email questions. Hopefully that’s not just pre-sales service. Good luck!

OP
T

TNBuck2

FNG
IMG_3297.jpegIMG_3295.jpeg

Here’s an update…

I got the upper setup with scope on my old lower. After the minimal break in that White Oak suggests I shot a few groups with factory ammo I’ve got on hand. If this is typical of what the upper will shoot, I’ll be pretty happy. 😁