Whisker Biscuit for elk/western hunting?

gostovp

WKR
I’m in the process of trying to build out a new bow and am wanting to put together a simple and durable shooting setup. I shoot longer ATA bows better so looking at stuff in the 33+ ata range at 28/60. I’ve normally always used a drop away but I’m wondering if a Whisker Biscuit rest would suit my build goals ( I’m not a good enough archer to likely notice any accuracy difference) . I’m going to use a simple yet durable high end fixed pin sight and a two piece quiver and likely no stabilizer setup as I want the build to not turn into a brick that I’m carrying around the mountain.

Anyone else use a WB? Thoughts on this setup for elk?

I’ve been using a WB since I started hunting elk in 2008. I bought my current bow in 2009 and love the WB. I lost a couple fps according to the internet experts. But at 300 fps + big deal. Once the WB is set I haven’t had to touch it and it has performed in all weather conditions including freezing rain and ice.

Last edited:

BBob

WKR
A friend has been shooting and killing elk with a WB, fixed pins and a short little "stabilizer" for a really long time.

Used one for a lot of years. In fact replaced two brush inserts due to wear. I have a friend who still uses one. Really liked them for treestand hunting but have switched to a ripcord drop away

Bachto

WKR
I guess I'll be the whisker biscuit hater

Why would you want something hitting your arrow fletching at the start of flight? would you shoot through grass at an animal? If I was going to do a fixed rest I would do the trophy taker spring steel rest or something similar.

Especially with the possibility of shooting longer distances elk hunting.

It's my opinion but I would never put one on a bow.

Dakota Dude

Lil-Rokslider
I went away from the WB a year or two ago. It became a pain to replace the WB for older models. Then I got new arrows with thinner shafts and it was way to big. I could tell it was hurting my accuracy. I also found that sticks would jamb in it and collect other debris.

It functioned fine before the new arrows.

JLH208

WKR
Still running my hamskea but I vote go for the biscuit, ran one back in the day, my old man still runs one, they are bomb proof. Kinda makes me want to run one again just talking about it. No fail point realistically

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

el_jefe_pescado

Lil-Rokslider
No reason a whisker biscuit couldn’t work. But I’m a guy who could care less about the bow/sight/rest (as long as you can shoot it) and more about the arrows. I would definitely not skimp in this area as this is the one piece of gear that will actually be doing the killing. Too many guys get fixated on accessories and just throw together “hunting arrows” a few weeks before the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No rest out there can beat nocked arrow whisker biscuit for stalking. To each their own. Ive been toying with the idea of throwing mine back on! EZV sight and a whisker biscuit - hello haters! No moving parts on my rest or sight.

JohnnyB

WKR
Love my whisker biscuit! Nice and tight around the shaft with a consistent release every time. I do, however, understand why the folks using tiny shafts wouldn’t like it.

I have had good luck with a WB on old whitetail set ups at closer range. I found all the contact was just another variable to deal with when shooting at greater distances.

Overall I would think you wouldn't have an issue if you have a proper set up.

They are more form critical and can be more difficult to paper tune with. Especially the cheap plastic ones. Definitely only buy the higher quality metal Whisker Biscuit. I shoot 3" helical vanes which seems like a bad idea with a WB so I don't use them anymore. But I do love the simplicity and would like to move back to one for treestand hunting.

ColoradoV

WKR
Run one for mule deer as shooting extreme angles as well as what you deal w in that terrain make them a welcome addition. The extra cords and moving parts on drop aways can and will fail, catch on brush, and whatnot. A biscuit keeps on ticking.

There is no stabilizer on my hunting bow either…. Never figured out how anyone can efficiently move a bow w a 10-14” rod sticking out of it.

My max effective range on a live deer in alpine terrain is 55 yds or so.. Never take a shot further than that = or long shots are a non issue for me. I want my hunting bow to be a 50 yd fail proof hammer and the biscuit does that better than any rest I have found.

Shot placement has never been a issue for me on alive animal w the biscuit…

C38BF8F1-7F88-430A-AF21-01B542C39FE1.jpeg

Redwing

Lil-Rokslider
Biscuits are great hunting rests.

I used one for years and killed elk, deer and bear with it, never had a single complaint, but buddies and the internet convinced me to switch to a drop-away.

After two seasons I'm back to the biscuit. Too many moving parts, too many things to go wrong with a drop-away, and I never noticed any benefits in terms of group size or ease of tuning.

If I was walking a clear trail to a whitetail stand I might use one, but when busting brush miles from the truck I like the simplest and most bombproof gear I can get.

Sent from my SM-A326U1 using Tapatalk

OP
gostovp

gostovp

WKR
Thanks for the feedback everyone!
One of the new bows I’m looking at is the Mathews Phase 4 33. If I go that route I want to take advantage of the bridge lock sight and lowpro quiver technology to make the bow profile as thin as possible. I need to see if the WB will work with that quiver