Whisker Biscuit for elk/western hunting?

The
I guess I'll be the whisker biscuit hater

Why would you want something hitting your arrow fletching at the start of flight? would you shoot through grass at an animal? If I was going to do a fixed rest I would do the trophy taker spring steel rest or something similar.

Especially with the possibility of shooting longer distances elk hunting.

It's my opinion but I would never put one on a bow.
WB results speak for themselves. Shooting thru grass is a poor comparison. Your broadhead of choice does not make contact with the brushes on the biscuit whereas shooting thru grass it would which would affect the mystical flight of the arrow.

I shot one for a few years a long time ago only timeni had a real issue it rained then got super cold and it froze solid that morning

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Eastfork

FNG
I guess I'll be the whisker biscuit hater

Why would you want something hitting your arrow fletching at the start of flight? would you shoot through grass at an animal? If I was going to do a fixed rest I would do the trophy taker spring steel rest or something similar.

Especially with the possibility of shooting longer distances elk hunting.

It's my opinion but I would never put one on a bow.
Curious if you have every shot a whisker biscuit, and also have you chronographed a biscuit against drop away? Well I have, and the differences are extremely minimal. 3 to 5 fps max. And I might add, the biscuit is 100% fool proof. No timing to be done, no strings to get cut or snagged or yanked. We have been shooting the whisker biscuit for over a dozen years and killed countless deer and elk and other wild game. The whisker biscuit is a very safe and simple arrow release. Extremely quiet. Once an arrow is nocked it’s very secure and quiet. No rattling, no arrow bouncing off your drop away with bull or buck fever. It’s the piece of mind to know that your arrow is ready to go. And may I add that it effects accuracy not the slightest bit. We consistently practice shots out to 100 yards. 6 inch groups. So yeah to compare the whisker biscuit to blades a grass I beg to differ.

Eastfork

FNG
Run one for mule deer as shooting extreme angles as well as what you deal w in that terrain make them a welcome addition. The extra cords and moving parts on drop aways can and will fail, catch on brush, and whatnot. A biscuit keeps on ticking.

There is no stabilizer on my hunting bow either…. Never figured out how anyone can efficiently move a bow w a 10-14” rod sticking out of it.

My max effective range on a live deer in alpine terrain is 55 yds or so.. Never take a shot further than that = or long shots are a non issue for me. I want my hunting bow to be a 50 yd fail proof hammer and the biscuit does that better than any rest I have found.

Shot placement has never been a issue for me on alive animal w the biscuit…

View attachment 481607
Cool buck by the way!!

Bachto

WKR
Curious if you have every shot a whisker biscuit, and also have you chronographed a biscuit against drop away? Well I have, and the differences are extremely minimal. 3 to 5 fps max. And I might add, the biscuit is 100% fool proof. No timing to be done, no strings to get cut or snagged or yanked. We have been shooting the whisker biscuit for over a dozen years and killed countless deer and elk and other wild game. The whisker biscuit is a very safe and simple arrow release. Extremely quiet. Once an arrow is nocked it’s very secure and quiet. No rattling, no arrow bouncing off your drop away with bull or buck fever. It’s the piece of mind to know that your arrow is ready to go. And may I add that it effects accuracy not the slightest bit. We consistently practice shots out to 100 yards. 6 inch groups. So yeah to compare the whisker biscuit to blades a grass I beg to differ.
You are correct with all of that, my (10 year old) stepson has one on his bow. I think think they are great for beginners and kids. I understand my example was extreme, I was also giving another opinion and example of why someone might not want one. The OP also asked for thoughts, so I gave mine. Glad you love your setup but there's a reason you will never see a whisker biscuit being used by a professional archer.

Mikido

WKR
I’ve used the same biscuit for 8 years without fail….until this season! It got so worn that the arrow dropped a half inch into the biscuit….completely missed the deer and learned a valuable lesson….change those biscuits on time!

After Reading this thread, ill be removing my 4”
Stabilizer as well!

Fatcamp

WKR
The only thing more annoying than prickly pear when hunting with my bow is holding the arrow on a Hamskea rest.

I'm selling it and going to a WB. One less thing to mess with.

cuttingedge

Lil-Rokslider
I'm gonna throw this out there. You are looking for simplicity but considering a bow that has 8 limbs with strips of rubber between each 2. If I were interested in Mathews, I would go with the V3X over the Phase 4. I would want to see how the 8 limb system holds up for a while before buying one.

If you are not concerned with cost, give the PSE Mach 34 a try. It is 34" ATA and about 4 pounds bare weight. The Hoyt RX7 Ultra is a very solid option also.

Personally, I am shooting the PSE Evo XF 33 and it shoots extremely well at distance. I have 2. One has the E2 cam and the other has the S2 cam. They are 2022 models, but the new Fortis 33 is basically the same with the new simplified cam shimming system. You would need the S2 or EC2 cam to get 28" draw.

bz_711

WKR
I bashed them when they first came out...until I tried one...Huge fan now and all my kids bows have as well. 100% confidence in WB for any hunt!

OP
gostovp

gostovp

WKR
I'm gonna throw this out there. You are looking for simplicity but considering a bow that has 8 limbs with strips of rubber between each 2. If I were interested in Mathews, I would go with the V3X over the Phase 4. I would want to see how the 8 limb system holds up for a while before buying one.

If you are not concerned with cost, give the PSE Mach 34 a try. It is 34" ATA and about 4 pounds bare weight. The Hoyt RX7 Ultra is a very solid option also.

Personally, I am shooting the PSE Evo XF 33 and it shoots extremely well at distance. I have 2. One has the E2 cam and the other has the S2 cam. They are 2022 models, but the new Fortis 33 is basically the same with the new simplified cam shimming system. You would need the S2 or EC2 cam to get 28" draw.
I actually went with the V3X33. To me there was no difference between it and the Phase4, and my local shop gave me a decent deal on the V3X.

Whisky

WKR
I am a fan, although I don't have one on my bow currently. As my shooting skills improved, I felt that I could tell a difference in accuracy when shooting broadheads, so i switched to a dropaway. Whenever I get a new bow again, I will probably start with a WB on it and see how the BHs fly. I love them for the simplicity.

I used a WB for years then switched to a drop away. I was shooting a 5 spot league and 23 targets in I had all 5's and 18 x's when the rest did not fall and it stripped a fletching and missed the target completely. I put the WB back on and have never looked back

I used to shoot a WB and loved it. Switched to a drop away and I still don’t trust it. The drop away has been on my bow for about 10 years now. I miss using a WB when I do shoot a compound. I haven’t picked up my compound in 2 years because I’m so addicted to shooting my longbow.

pirogue

WKR
I guess I like knowing my arrow’s flight characteristics result from my tuning, and not dictated by going thru a pipe

If the drop-away rest you currently have is working for you I would stick with it. Never been impressed with the Biscuit. Tried it many years ago but resulted in "crinkly" arrow vanes and small decrease in arrow speed. If ain't broke don't fix it.