Which would you choose?

Encore4me

FNG
4da01008a09470150d76fe0950a5a6fb.jpg

Supposing all of these shot within 1 MOA, what would you choose to be your one and only cartridge for your do all gun. I know many of you wouldn’t choose this caliber but if you had to choose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NRA4LIFE

WKR
Any of those will kill any North American game real dead. If I had to choose one, I'd go with the Federal 180's. All of those, to me, are a bit much for deer or antelope.

ElkSnort

Lil-Rokslider
either of the 200g choices for. 300win. otherwise move to a 30-06 and shoot lighter projectiles. the 6X6 bull in my avatar was taken with a handloaded 200g NAB.

Supposing all of these shot within 1 MOA, what would you choose to be your one and only cartridge for your do all gun. I know many of you wouldn’t choose this caliber but if you had to choose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your one and only cartridge for a your one and only do-all rifle? And, assuming this is some sort of fantasy or "what if SHTF" type of question, instead of choosing the best tool for a given job?

If we're talking strictly hunting - with preference being maximum meat harvest with minimal meat loss - and it's a .300 win mag? It would be the Terminal Ascent. The ELDs will cause an unacceptable amount of meat damage and lead particulate if I screw up a shot and put the round into the stuff I actually want to eat. I'd be fine shooting either of the monos, but would choose the heavier Federal one first, given it'll penetrate further and likely has a better BC. And since anything beyond 400yds for absolutely consistent MOA accuracy in field conditions is absolute fantasy land for all but a very rarified segment of shooters, the better accuracy of the ELDs or the difficulty expanding at lower velocities for monos that matters more at distance, is absolutely irrelevant with a .300wm at sub-400yd shots.

If we're also talking having a dual role for both hunting and self-defense, however, I'd go with either of the ELDs - they'll open up quicker and cause a larger would cavity, quicker blood-loss, etc. I'd simply have to choose my hunting shots more selectively to avoid the meat loss, if that matters to me as a high priority. The monos will penetrate the deepest but often need several more inches of penetration before opening up, and even then don't cause as much damage. The Terminal Ascent is right in middle, getting great penetration, and opening up fairly quickly, but not as quickly as ELDs or going as deep as the monos.