Which Weatherby cartridge

mitchparker1980

Lil-Rokslider
Going to pick up a Weatherby Backcountry 2.0 (LH) and cannot decide on the cartridge to have it in.

99% whitetail hunt (Texas/Arkansas) 1% pronghorn (Texas/NM).

This rifle is not going to be used to shoot at the range and ring steel...this is a hunting rifle.

Thoughts on 240 Weatherby, 257 Weatherby, 6.5 RPM, or 6.5-300 for the ultimate Texas whitetail cartridge (everything from East Texas, to South Texas, to West Texas to the Panhandle (plains).

Extra info
a) Do not currently reload, but am super tempted to get into it
b) Just sold all my other rifles (except my multitude of rimfire), so I have no fears of redudancy.

mb6355

Lil-Rokslider
I think of those only the 6.5 RPM is in the 6-lug lighter action. I would get it or the 280AI if you want the lighter gun.

OP
mitchparker1980

mitchparker1980

Lil-Rokslider
You want a real do all gun, gotta go 300WBY.
Ah, I'm not asking for a do-it-all gun. I'm asking for suggestions for a Texas whitetail cartridge. I have the means to buy another rifle for elk, should that opportunity come about. Or, if I have a chance to hunt mule deer often...again, I can buy another rifle, even if it's only incrementally better than the one I currently own.

Maybe, another way to ask this is - if you could build/design your dream team (regardless of how many different rounds you own) which one of the aforementioned rounds would you pick for Texas whitetail?

B23

WKR
I've had numerous Wby rifles over the years and the only one that shot what I'd consider really well isn't on your list and that was my Accumark 300 Wby. The worst shooting one was a 7 Wby mag followed closely by the 240. The 257 only shot mediocre but one of my best friends has a 257 Wby that shoots extremely well, I believe his is an older Weathermark. Mine have all been Mark V DLX or Accumark's. My dad has had a couple 270 Wby semi customs, one built on a Pre64 Mod 70 and his last one was built on a Rem 700, they both shot extremely well but they weren't factory Weatherby's so I don't count them.

Of the ones the OP listed, I'd pick the 6.5 RPM first and for me the 6.5-300 wouldn't even be a choice at all.

WormSportsman

Lil-Rokslider
Of your cartridges listed .257Wby or the 6.5RPM will perform extremely well. If you go with the RPM and don’t reload just make sure you have a line on the ammo you want ahead of time. I would pick the 6.5RPM for the lighter 6 lug action and not look back!

TN2shot07

WKR
I’d fall in the same boat as you (90% white tails).

If I was buying a weatherby just to have one, it would hands down be a 257. The 25-06 has always been one of my favorites and that’s just the hot rod version.

If I was investing specifically into a backcountry, I want to take advantage of that little 6 lug action. It would hands down be the 6.5 or 338 rpm, steel receiver and carbon barrel. If you just like the backcountry rifle I’d go 280 ackley, you’re going to be shooting expensive ammo anyway.

gman82001

WKR
Definitely 257. I have a 257 vanguard and a 257 accumark and my vanguard out shoots the accumark. I load a 115 ballistic tip around 3500fps in the vanguard and it hammers deer. I’m still playing with the accumark seeing if I can get where I want with it.

BjornF16

WKR
Whitetail and antelope - .240 Wby (which is 6 lug)

Otherwise I’d snag a Mark V Hunter in 243 Win