Which tikka to buy

I could use some help.
After reading through the 223 thread I’m definitely sold on a rss tikka 223. I am trying to decide what to do for the states with a larger minimum if I should get a ctr or super lite. Any drawbacks other than weight to the ctr? Already comes threaded at 20 inches. Thanks for any advice.

OP
B

I did not see this thread prior to my post this has answered my questions

Can't go wrong with the CTR
The barrel is a goldilocks situation
It's 'just right'
Light enough to carry
Heavy enough to take to the range and shoot longer strings.
Ought to shoot 3/4 moa with minimal load work

sdupontjr

WKR
I have both the lite and CTR in 308. I put my CTR on a diet and now its only about .73 lbs heavier than My lite. I couldn't get use to the mag of the CTR sticking way out the bottom, so i swapped it to a standard Tikka T3x stock. I have a Credo on it right now, but I'm liking it more than my lite due to the shorter barrel. Considering swapping my Schmidt Bender Polar to this rifle, but haven't decided yet.

T3 Lite
tikka.jpg

CTR
20231102_135046.jpg

OP
B
I have both the lite and CTR in 308. I put my CTR on a diet and now its only about .73 lbs heavier than My lite. I couldn't get use to the mag of the CTR sticking way out the bottom, so i swapped it to a standard Tikka T3x stock. I have a Credo on it right now, but I'm liking it more than my lite due to the shorter barrel. Considering swapping my Schmidt Bender Polar to this rifle, but haven't decided yet.
Thanks, I have been considering something similar. My plans were to go with a rokstok and switch to a standard tikka bottom metal and mag. I was also looking a a credo to put on top of it because I don’t want to spend nx8 money.

OP
B
Can't go wrong with the CTR
The barrel is a goldilocks situation
It's 'just right'
Light enough to carry
Heavy enough to take to the range and shoot longer strings.
Ought to shoot 3/4 moa with minimal load work
Yeah this is what I was thinking. Realistically I’ll be spending more time at the range with it than anywhere else. And then I could save the gunsmith trip getting it cut to 20 and threaded.

FLS

WKR
Another vote for a CTR, mine is the most accurate factory rifle I’ve ever shot. I recently watched a video of a fella winning an NRL event with his CTR. He won the Factory Division and was the overall match winner as well.

sdupontjr

WKR
Thanks, I have been considering something similar. My plans were to go with a rokstok and switch to a standard tikka bottom metal and mag. I was also looking a a credo to put on top of it because I don’t want to spend nx8 money.
I picked up the CTR for the fact that the little kids could shoot it. The extra weight, 5/8-24 threads would allow for a brake, and I originally topped it with an Arken EP5 5-25x56, all which made the rifle very heavy. This would be perfect with very little recoil and then could eventually swap to a standard 308 or something. well that went south. So sold everything off of it and did a weight comparison, even the CTR rail is off. Like you, I didn't want to spend another $2500 on a Schmidt Bender so I actually found the Credo HX 4-16x50 here on the site for a good deal. Like it a lot and very accurate.

OP
B
Well I got myself a t3x stainless 223 and a 6.5 ctr 20 inch barrel! Looking forward to becoming a better shooter. This forum has been a huge help to me with training and simplifying things. No longer will I be the guy tuning my load every week at the range! Now I just need to get some scopes that will hold zero and I will be set. I’d love a couple swfa but seeing that they don’t exist in the real world I might just need to spring for a couple trijicons or nightforces

OP
B
I have both the lite and CTR in 308. I put my CTR on a diet and now its only about .73 lbs heavier than My lite. I couldn't get use to the mag of the CTR sticking way out the bottom, so i swapped it to a standard Tikka T3x stock.

Are you using factory polymer bottom metal or a aftermarket metal one? I’m planning on going to the rokstok at some point and will be going to the standard tikka bottom metal foot print. I’m just curious if I should keep my eyes peeled for a polymer one or pony up and buy a metal aftermarket one.

sdupontjr

WKR
Polymer one. Ordered it from Mountain tactical. You'll also have to lightly sand the barrel channel of the T3x stock to allow the CTR barrel to freefloat, being its larger. I haven't had one issue with the plastic ones.

FCCDerek

Lil-Rokslider
You'll be able to do most anything with those two rifles. I have a 20" CTR in 6.5 in a KRG Bravo chassis. Shoots so dang well. It's ridiculous how accurate it is for factory rifle. Shoots as well as my customs if I'm being honest.