which tent?

Short on cache

Lil-Rokslider
I am trying to decide which tent I want to bring sheep hunting. I have a Jimmy Tarps Granite mountain and a Kuiu Ultra 1P (among a crapload of others). I just cant decide which. The granite mountain is 14 oz with stakes included the Kuiu is about 24 with stakes. I feel like the kuiu would give better protection if we get socked in or the bugs get bad. The GM is a little easier to pitch and smaller in size. Im leaning towards the GM but Id like to hear your opinions.

Where, and when ya going sheep hunting? I imagine the various attributes of a tent are different, depending on whether you are in Alaska, so down south somewhere.

Well then, considering both are extremely light, I would go with the one that offered more protection. Last year on a sheep hunt in the Alaska Range, it snowed, and it snowed, and it snowed some more on August 19th/20th.

I don't know much about either of the tents you own, but the sheep mountains can get some extreme weather, even in August.

DSC00515_zps2ku4caf5.jpg

Broomd

WKR
Take something more substantial imho. Save the 14 oz gig for the bivy pack.

I lived in Ak many years and have hunted sheep many times (still do), weight is important but so is survival.
A Bibler, Integral Desgns, RAB....there are bomber options around 4 pounds. My RAB is 3' 14 oz and it has saved my life more than once.

I agree with Broomd myself, I would take something more substantial. I am a die hard Hilleberg fan for all of my mountain hunting, as seen in the above picture.

Maverick940

Banned
Well then, considering both are extremely light, I would go with the one that offered more protection. Last year on a sheep hunt in the Alaska Range, it snowed, and it snowed, and it snowed some more on August 19th/20th.

I don't know much about either of the tents you own, but the sheep mountains can get some extreme weather, even in August.

DSC00515_zps2ku4caf5.jpg

The late August 2015 hunt was interesting, to say the least. My hunter and I were seven miles out and sitting on three whopper rams when that snowstorm blew in. Miserable walk (uphill) to camp that night, in a literal whiteout. Pretty rough. Cold and wet, too.

Agree with the others. No way would I be taking a sub 2 lb "tent" into the Wrangells myself. Not familiar with the Jim Tarp one, but the Kuiu looks like a recipe for massive condensation issues in lousy weather.

PA 5-0

WKR

DSC00515_zps2ku4caf5.jpg

True story: the good- that storm got me 4 extra days in the AK Range as the guide couldn't fly in to get us. The bad: we had spent a day hiking in on three Rams, one definite shooter. After a day of hiking and climbing and hiking and climbing, we snuck into 150yds. Literally, as I was jacking a shell in, waiting for the last green light from the guide, that storm came down upon us with the wrath of God. It dropped 30 degrees in 3 minutes, from clear to straight blizzard. We froze our asses off up there for 6hrs before having to bail off the Mntn as it was getting dangerous. Incredible hunt! We were socked in for 4 days. If I didn't have bad ram luck, I would have no ram luck. AK Range was an incredible hunt.

Be ready for anything!!!! Best of luck, Dan

Sounds like you got the full experience Dan, that is what sheep hunting is all about!!! Sucks you didn't get a ram, but sometimes the sheep have to win, otherwise it wouldn't be hunting.

It was a helluva storm no doubt. We lost track of a 42 inch ram in that storm, I still have nightmares/dreams over it.

Broomd

WKR
Helluva story, Dan. I agree, the sheep ( and goats) don't get old by accident. Although sometimes lady luck plays a part.
In '13 I was sheep hunting with my son, he was sitting in some nasty crags getting ready to pull the trigger on a fine full curl when the fog rolled in like pea soup. It happened in mere seconds and socked in for 20 hours.
The ram was never seen again.

land cruiser

Lil-Rokslider
Got snowed in hunting sheep in Wrangells early Aug. Hilleberg would be my choice. Oh and finding them in the snow is way more interesting.

land cruiser

Lil-Rokslider
You have to cover a lot more ground after it clears off and not all of it is easy going. White on brown is way better than yellowish on white in my limited experience.

Maverick940

Banned
You have to cover a lot more ground after it clears off and not all of it is easy going. White on brown is way better than yellowish on white in my limited experience.

That's why it's better to search for tracks with binoculars, than trying to spot the actual sheep. Tracks stick out like a sore thumb.