3p KUIU Mountain Star Tent

Has anybody actually tried out the new 3p KUIU Mountain Star tent? For me there is no way I could spoon with three in that size tent, but might be a nice legit 2 man tent. Really curious how this would compare to the SG Skyscraper tent. So just looking for some real world feedback as it checks a lot of boxes for me.

On a personal note, had a 2p mountain star but didn’t like it because it was too short for me, so I went to the SG. Like this tent but don’t love how it’s not a true “fly first” tent like the KUIU is. Looks like they might have cured my length issue with the 3p design for the same weight as the SG. Real question is if it is as tough as the SG.

schmalzy

WKR
I’ve been eyeing it too. I like that the horizontal pole goes all the way to the ground and makes it truly freestanding. 5 pounds makes it’s pretty attractive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
passinggas33
For a 3+ season tent, and looking at the design, it looks like it could definitely handle some snow load and properly lined out, some impressive wind. Just trying to decide if it is that much “better” than the SG. 🤷🏻

Peytb10

FNG
Has anybody actually tried out the new 3p KUIU Mountain Star tent? For me there is no way I could spoon with three in that size tent, but might be a nice legit 2 man tent. Really curious how this would compare to the SG Skyscraper tent. So just looking for some real world feedback as it checks a lot of boxes for me.

On a personal note, had a 2p mountain star but didn’t like it because it was too short for me, so I went to the SG. Like this tent but don’t love how it’s not a true “fly first” tent like the KUIU is. Looks like they might have cured my length issue with the 3p design for the same weight as the SG. Real question is if it is as tough as the SG.
How tall are you? I was looking at the 2p

OP
passinggas33
How tall are you? I was looking at the 2p
I’m 6 foot. And in the 2p, with my 3” pad and a thick footbox on my bag, the bag would be rubbing quite heavily on the end. Not a problem in the SG and the new 3p looks to be about the same length as the SG so it should be a problem.

Peytb10

FNG
I’m 6 foot. And in the 2p, with my 3” pad and a thick footbox on my bag, the bag would be rubbing quite heavily on the end. Not a problem in the SG and the new 3p looks to be about the same length as the SG so it should be a problem.
Great to know. I’m 6’3 so I definitely want to avoid that. I’m thinking just going Rincon or Absaroka. Which SG? Not a fan of their weights

OP
passinggas33
Great to know. I’m 6’3 so I definitely want to avoid that. I’m thinking just going Rincon or Absaroka. Which SG? Not a fan of their weights
Skyscraper is what I have for my 3+/4 season tent. My summer/fall tent is the tarptent double rainbow. Was hoping though that this KUIU 3p might be able to replace the skyscraper thereby increasing internal size, decreasing weight, and ease of setup.

crich

WKR
I honestly think they're a toss up. Larger footprint could be a good or bad thing depending on where you camp. Weight difference is negligible. I'm probably going to order a 3p and set it up next to my buddies skyscraper and really compare them. I like the added 3 inches of headroom on the kuiu.

OP
passinggas33
I honestly think they're a toss up. Larger footprint could be a good or bad thing depending on where you camp. Weight difference is negligible. I'm probably going to order a 3p and set it up next to my buddies skyscraper and really compare them. I like the added 3 inches of headroom on the kuiu.
Can I request a follow up once you’ve had a chance to do this? That would be pretty awesome to have them side by side!

schmalzy

WKR
I ordered one to try out. May end up selling my soulo. I know they’re totally different sizes/uses but roughly same weight.

schmalzy

WKR
Just got it in and set up in the yard. They tried to make it intuitive but was kinda cumbersome. It’s not bad but not great. Definitely thin material. I know there’s no free lunch with weight. Foot print isn’t great and I’m struggling to figure out how to use it.

I’m probably going to send it back.

OP
passinggas33
Just got it in and set up in the yard. They tried to make it intuitive but was kinda cumbersome. It’s not bad but not great. Definitely thin material. I know there’s no free lunch with weight. Foot print isn’t great and I’m struggling to figure out how to use it.

I’m probably going to send it back.

Thanks for the feedback. I’ve been waiting anxiously to see what you had to say. Looks like I’ll probably stick with my SG Skyscraper for now then. Had such great hopes for this tent.

schmalzy

WKR
Thanks for the feedback. I’ve been waiting anxiously to see what you had to say. Looks like I’ll probably stick with my SG Skyscraper for now then. Had such great hopes for this tent.

I may be overly critical of it, it just didn’t get me excited. I felt like space wise inside it really didn’t feel like a 3p. Been a while since I’ve slept in a kuiu 2p but it really didn’t feel much bigger.