Which Swarovski's?

bosox2850

FNG
SLC 15x56's or EL 10x50's? Primary usage will be back pack trips and off a tripod. They will be primary means of glassing. Are the 56's worth it over the Glass in the new EL's? Can any of you truly see a difference in the glass thru your eyes between the two? Thanks guys

ahlgringo

WKR
I had a pair of swaro 15x's for a couple of years, but to be honest I can see almost as much with my 10xs (as far as where animals are located). example- goat hunt last year- spotted goats with my 10s . broke out the tripod and 15xs- yep they are goats and look like adults with no kids. actually had to break out buddies spotter to see if they were for sure a group of 2 billies and judge whether they were worth going after. Now i am not going to haul around a pair of 8 or 10s then 15's and still have to bring a spotter- doesn't make sense. You can use the 10x50's as your primary bino and I guarantee you will spot 95+% of the animals you would have with 15's. judging them- not as much, but that may be limited as well even with 15's.

I now own a pair of 10x42 EL's and a spotter- I am good

My experience and opinion-

Shrek

WKR
I just dropped power to 8.5 from 10 for a more stable and wider view offhand and spotting animals. My spotter brings them up close for judging. We were trying to judge elk this fall with 12x50 EL's and they are fantastic binoculars but in the end we had to get the spotter to really see what was what at 9/10th of a mile. Elk are big but we still needed a spotter.

elkguide

WKR
I'm a 10X42 Swarovski fan with a spotter.
I can see everything that I want to see and if I'm looking for something that far away, I'll get out the spotter.

stephen b

WKR
Agree with a few of the posts above. I carry on my body either 8x or 10x; and will at times tripod mount those as well. And I also use a spotter for closer look. 12x and 15x is very nice glass if you have quality glass. And it is good for sitting and picking apart an area. But... It is still only 15x tops. Most spotters start at or above that power point. So, even though I understand why people ( for example SW area coues hunters) like the 12x and 15x for long pick apart sitting sessions; you are still limited to that for max power unless you also have a spotter.

Most people would be surprised if they have not used 10x on a tripod how effective it is. 12x is not going to get you that much more. So, if it was me, I would use a spotter in addition to my main bino's. A spotter is nice to have when needed. Of course if funds are unlimited, get a quality 8x or 10x glass, and 15's, and a spotter. But if it was me, I would first spend the money on quality all day care bino's and then add a spotter ( quality one) before I got 15's. Now, if coues was my main passion- that could change that order.

OP
bosox2850

bosox2850

FNG
Ok so judging by you guys opinions you all predominantly still feel the need to have a spotter also. Let me ask this as I can't at this time afford a Swarovski spotter, it's just not in the budget and buy the binos also. Would a 65 or 80 vortex razor spotter suffice for a few years? Idk anyone personally that owns one so I can't just go judge myself if I like it, and also a whole new argument between you guys angled or straight on a spotter? Lol

I'm loving my 15x56 swaros for glassing. I feel like a damn golden eagle looking over vast land scape. I was fairly surprised at how easy they are to use off hand but tripod mounted it money. I feel nothing can hide with those guys on a solid tripod. I still pack my mini Razor HD 11-33x50 spotter for picking out stuff at distance.

OP
bosox2850

bosox2850

FNG
I'm loving my 15x56 swaros for glassing. I feel like a damn golden eagle looking over vast land scape. I was fairly surprised at how easy they are to use off hand but tripod mounted it money. I feel nothing can hide with those guys on a solid tripod. I still pack my mini Razor HD 11-33x50 spotter for picking out stuff at distance.

I've heard good and bad about the razor 50 spotter. How do you like that one? Some just said they weren't impressed by it and that came from a vortex guy who loves his 20x56 kaibabs

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
I have ran
15 SLC
12 ELs
10 ELs

The 12s are more versatile and on a tripod you can see everything the 15s can.

You would be fine with a Vortex spotter.

Last edited:

ahlgringo

WKR
Razor spotters in my opinion will more than do an adequate job. I would have no reservation running one for some years until you decide to eventually upgrade. I actually run a 65, i just dont use enough or think that the difference between razors and swaro is great enough to justify, FOR ME. If i hunted as much as some of the guys on here, in places that i needed a spotter more, i would upgrade. I have never though been left wanting from my razor.

OP
bosox2850

bosox2850

FNG
Razor spotters in my opinion will more than do an adequate job. I would have no reservation running one for some years until you decide to eventually upgrade. I actually run a 65, i just dont use enough or think that the difference between razors and swaro is great enough to justify, FOR ME. If i hunted as much as some of the guys on here, in places that i needed a spotter more, i would upgrade. I have never though been left wanting from my razor.

That's exactly where I'm at, I know the binos will receive the most use that's why I'll go with the Swarovski's for sure. I don't get to go nearly as much as I'd like due to now having a 3 year old daughter that's getting to be more able to go out and do things with me. So about 2 trips a year is my max far as out west on mule deer/elk. The rest is spent in a treestand in Kentucky, Ohio, and NC so justifying $4k for a spotter just isn't there yet.

Trial153

WKR
I am in a different camp.
12x or 15x off pods and 8.5 on the go gets me in the ball part for most hunts.
If I was going to be really really picky about a trophy then I might consider a spotter in place of the higher power binos. However I would probably bump up to 10x and still run them off a pod and only break out the spotter as needed.

dotman

WKR
Ok so judging by you guys opinions you all predominantly still feel the need to have a spotter also. Let me ask this as I can't at this time afford a Swarovski spotter, it's just not in the budget and buy the binos also. Would a 65 or 80 vortex razor spotter suffice for a few years? Idk anyone personally that owns one so I can't just go judge myself if I like it, and also a whole new argument between you guys angled or straight on a spotter? Lol

Save your money on the vortex razor and get a Vanguard Endevor HD 82, it is just as good at half the price. I have 10x42 EL's and a Vanguard spotter in 82mm. I had a vortex razor and do not miss it at all.

OP
bosox2850

bosox2850

FNG
Save your money on the vortex razor and get a Vanguard Endevor HD 82, it is just as good at half the price. I have 10x42 EL's and a Vanguard spotter in 82mm. I had a vortex razor and do not miss it at all.

I will check those out. Thanks, never heard of those.

dotman

WKR
On the home page there is a review on the Vanguard. I also had the 15x56 vortex Kaibab and while it was ok after having top tier glass I just wasn't happy with that investment and sold it.

I love the little guy. It does its job and weights nothing. The glass is pretty good, not great, but good enough to find critters. I have been thinking about upgrade to the leupold compact gold ring.

Outhunting

Lil-Rokslider
I think it all depends on the terrain you spend most of your time in. I always have my 10x32 when I am just hitting the hills just to wander around or hunt chukar. Most of the time when I am lucky enough to draw a tag I am either at the highest point I can find looking down or at the bottom looking up in some big country. In that case my favorite is my 15's on a tripod. I completely disagree with folks that say they can see everything that I can see with their 10x's against some 15's. Granted the tripod is definitely the way to go and makes a huge difference but when you are looking for bits and pieces of your quarry in canyons etc nothing beats the power if you are hunting big country. I consistently spot more game than my 10 power buddies and have to let them look through my 15's to get them closer before the spotter comes out. I have a guide buddy that actually uses older Zeiss 20x binoculars around his neck and when we were hunting last fall he was picking up Desert Sheep at ridicules ranges. I thought I was good but he impressed me.
Having said all of this though, If I was limited to just one pair it would be my 12's though.

Last edited:

WRO

WKR
The el12s are better than the 15s.. they do both detail and low light better..