Which state to start buying points?

young7.3

WKR
Don't listen to the negative comments about Idaho. Yes, it has gotten harder due to wolves, but there is still PLENTY of elk there. We actually pulled a 350" bull out of a wilderness unit this year that is known for raghorns;)

NebraskaStickHunter

Lil-Rokslider
A group of buddies just started buying points for Wyoming this year. I am not sure if we are going to wait until we get to the high single digit points and see where we can go or just build a couple points and general tag it. Not sure yet but for $50 it was worth the investment in my opinion. We are going to draw in a 100% first choice unit in Colorado next year and see whether we want to keep going there every few years or test out Montana or Idaho next. This is our first elk hunt so we have no clue what we are getting ourselves into. The points buying thing is a bit expensive so I see OTC as something that will give opportunity and experience that sitting at home and spending $1000 + every year on points for a potential experience as not worth it to me but to each their own.

I buy points in multiple states each year and for two or more species and have yet to spend $1000. Bottom line is if you want to hunt Wyoming you will need a few points. It also looks like Montana is headed that direction as well. There are up front costs associated with some states so use a credit card and consider it a 1.5% return on your mostly refundable expenditure.

Arizona, Idaho, Nevada all require a license purchase (I believe) but Arizona can be floated for 2 years if you buy at the right time and has some good opportunities.

Colorado points are only good if your ok with not chasing the prime units as it's too late to catch up and hybrid drawing odds are low.

I'm a newbie looking to start elk hunting in 2019. 2018 has too many fall commitments, unfortunately. But I started putting in for points in WY and MT, and plan to start hunting OTC in either CO or ID as I build up points....

I also looked in to NM - but with it being a random draw, do you guys who put in know ahead of time what area you'd like to hunt, or do you figure that out after you've been drawn? (assume you're a new elk hunter like me, and am still learning elk movements, habitat, etc...). I'm slightly hesitant to put in for NM because I don't know what I'd be doing....

I think a lot of this comes done to the cost/benefit of different points in different states. I made some notes that sum up the cost of each points in each state when I was starting out my research last year, keep in they are about a year old now so may be slightly different.

Another big thing to bear in mind as others have already mentioned, is if you are already going to hunt a state, then usually points can be built fairly cheaply/free. For example many people in this thread have said Colorado is not worth building points in, but if you are planning on hunting Colorado OTC anyway then the cost of 1 point is $3 (since you'll be purchasing a tag/habitat stamp for the OTC hunt).

Arizona -- $15 per species + $165 hunting license (Non Refundable)
Colorado -- $40 per species + $10 habitat stamp (can be used towards OTC tag) + $3 app fee
Idaho -- No Points
Montana -- Points can be purchased without hunting license (July 1st - Sept 30th) for $25 (per species)
Nevada -- $144 hunting license (not refunded if you want bonus points) + $18.50 app fee
New Mexico -- No Points, $20 non refundable application fee
Oregon -- $8 per species + $167 hunting license (non refundable)
Utah -- $10 per species + $65 hunting license required to purchase bonus points (valid for 2 years of applications)
Wyoming -- $50 elk, $40 deer & $30 Antelope + $14 app fee, failure to purchase preference point for 2 consecutive years results in loss of all preference points

Hope this helps, and if there's a mistake somewhere please point it out.

D_Eightch

WKR
My plan is to build points in states that offer a higher potential for a trophy animal, then treat those as a "once in a lifetime" or twice type of hunt. Then use most years for General OTC tags (this year was my first hunt out west on an OTC tag). If you don't already use gohunt, it is worth checking into to speed up the process of figuring out states that have what you're looking for.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I think a lot of this comes done to the cost/benefit of different points in different states. I made some notes that sum up the cost of each points in each state when I was starting out my research last year, keep in they are about a year old now so may be slightly different.

Another big thing to bear in mind as others have already mentioned, is if you are already going to hunt a state, then usually points can be built fairly cheaply/free. For example many people in this thread have said Colorado is not worth building points in, but if you are planning on hunting Colorado OTC anyway then the cost of 1 point is $3 (since you'll be purchasing a tag/habitat stamp for the OTC hunt).

Colorado -- $40 per species + $10 habitat stamp (can be used towards OTC tag) + $3 app fee
Idaho -- No Points
Montana -- Points can be purchased without hunting license (July 1st - Sept 30th) for $25 (per species)
Nevada -- $144 hunting license (not refunded if you want bonus points) + $18.50 app fee
Utah -- $10 per species + $65 hunting license required to purchase bonus points (valid for 2 years of applications)
Wyoming -- $50 elk, $40 deer & $30 Antelope + $14 app fee, failure to purchase preference point for 2 consecutive years results in loss of all preference points

That is a great breakdown.

Everyone is different. I want to sheep hunt so I put in for points for elk and other species in most states I apply in for sheep. I like to hunt lots of stuff, so there is no way I can hunt elk every year. I’ve hunted elk in AZ three different times and that has really spoiled me; I don’t want to go on just ANY elk hunt, it is worth it to me to only hunt elk every 5-10 years for that kind of quality experience. And I like to hunt without a guide so NM is out for me with a whopping 3% of the tags set aside for us DIY hunters...

I apply for elk in AZ, UT, WY, NV. I’ve got NO desire to hunt elk in CO, MT, ID or NM.

cuttdog

FNG
That is a great breakdown.

Everyone is different. I want to sheep hunt so I put in for points for elk and other species in most states I apply in for sheep. I like to hunt lots of stuff, so there is no way I can hunt elk every year. I’ve hunted elk in AZ three different times and that has really spoiled me; I don’t want to go on just ANY elk hunt, it is worth it to me to only hunt elk every 5-10 years for that kind of quality experience. And I like to hunt without a guide so NM is out for me with a whopping 3% of the tags set aside for us DIY hunters...

I apply for elk in AZ, UT, WY, NV. I’ve got NO desire to hunt elk in CO, MT, ID or NM.

Actually 6% for nonresidents who have not contracted with an outfitter. NM is worth the $20 application because you can get lucky and have a chance at a big bull or lots of bulls any year. A quick look at the draw odds will tell you what the good units to hunt are just based off of the number of people putting in for that unit. With a little luck you have a chance at awesome elk hunting. But complete honesty, it is very tough to draw but it always possible.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Ahhh...I stopped paying attention when the cut it in half and took the sheep tag to over $3000.

Idaho -- No Points

Thank you for this!!!

Bellmoa

FNG
Been “buying points” for Arizona for the last few years. Can’t seem to get drawn for anything as a resident.

TBOArcher

FNG
My opinion is that Colorado is the last one to build points in. That state is about opportunity and you use it as your state to learn elk hunting in (or Idaho or Montana). The best tags there are 20 plus years of points away, and just not worth that time when you can do better elsewhere. Again, just my opinion, but there you have it. That said, I am building points there just because I am building points for deer and it doesn't cost much extra to also do elk. Deer though take a lot fewer points to draw a good unit.

Arizona, Wyoming, and Nevada are, to me the best places to build points for an elk tag. Washington and Oregon also have some worthwhile tags. Utah is another, but tags are hard to draw and take a lot of points so I put it last on the list. New Mexico, I apply in every year and hope to draw since there are no points there. I pulled a 34 muzzleloader tag there a couple of years ago. Very fun hunt.

Any of the best units in any state for the best seasons take max points (usually 18 plus). However, you could hunt good units in say, Arizona, every 5-8 years (luck plays a role here to some extent). Or you could wait 20 for one tag and hunt MT or CO every year while you wait.

Really depends on your wants. I build points in every state, and want to hunt more often, so I apply for good units, but rarely the best. Even the good units have great bulls, and the best units still don't have a lot of great bulls. My goals are to hunt more places and have a good hunt. A 400" bull isn't my goal. A 300ish bull with a good story behind it is. Then again, I might get lucky and tag that 400" toad.

Jeremy
Good advice. Thanks.