Which spotter? $1500 budget

OP
armyjoe

armyjoe

Super Moderator
Oh, and if your gonna get a spotter, GO BIG OR GO HOME is my theory. If your gonna make it worth a damn to bring a big piece of glass 5 miles or so back with you, might as well add a few oz's to get the brightest one you can get.

bowuntr

WKR
With your budget I'd get a used or demo Swaro... I did. it will last your lifetime and you'll have no regrets... you may have regrets settling for something less... IMO. Ed F

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I personally like the Kowa TNS66 with Prominar glass. Glass is second to none (even big 3)nand can be had for $1400.
I know folks may be concerned about the ruggedness of the Prominar but I think it is overstated myself.

I haven't heard many durability concerns on that model (which uses standard ED objectives), but tend to worry about the pure flourite crystal lens on the 88mm Prominar.

Kowa makes good stuff.

The Nikon gets some bad press on the eye relief of the eyepieces, but I would like to check one out myself.

Tookeymonster

Lil-Rokslider
Vortex Razor HD all the way. You can get it shipped to your door from ElkNut and be under budget. I am extremely happy I did not go with the used Swaro I was looking at. I watched elk 2 nights ago till 9pm and it works great.

rodney482

WKR
The Razor is very nice but dont over look the Viper HD.... can be had for around $640 in the 65mm...