Which rifle to Suppress?

LeftyWilbury

Lil-Rokslider
pick one, thread it, shoot it.
you'll soon realize the second one needs to be threaded too.
i have a 24" 7 RM threaded and the 308 roughtech came threaded at 22" and i chopped a 243 down to 20" when threaded. the 20" is the mostest fun (and the lightest caliber) but the 24" 7 RM still shoots better (or I shoot it better) suppressed.
shooting any rifle suppressed is simply a far more enjoyable experience and more productive downrange for most of us.

OP
sbaker0029
I don’t mean this to sound pretentious. But factory Tikkas aren’t really heirloom quality firearms worthy of passing down.

Make it what you want it (including cut/thread), hunt it hard, and pass it down to your kids full of memories with the marks to prove it.

They’ll appreciate that more than a cheap factory rifle from the 2020’s.

Edit: just to be clear, I pretty exclusively buy Tikkas, so I’m not crapping on them here.

Yeah I definitely get what you mean by not heirloom quality and that you're not crapping on them.
Guess handoff would be a better verbiage over pass down. Probably better to handoff one that's been used and abused full of memories than something that's sat in the safe for about 15 years.

atmat

WKR
Yeah I definitely get what you mean by not heirloom quality and that you're not crapping on them.
Guess handoff would be a better verbiage over pass down. Probably better to handoff one that's been used and abused full of memories than something that's sat in the safe for about 15 years.
100%. I have some of my grandpa’s old rifles not because they’re nice guns (he was poor) or good condition (they’re marked to hell), but because I imagine what it would’ve been like to hunt with him in the Virginia boonies.

OP
sbaker0029
1. Get both cut and threaded

2. Send them to kampfield or somewhere so he can set them up for 5/8x24 direct thread, any other way is just stupid.

3. lol @ safe queen tikkas.

I'm a big fan of the way yours looks setup for the 5/8x24

i'm of the same opinion of sending them both to kampfeld for threading. saves on shipping!

I just kampfield's website and he's not currently taking orders for barrel threading. I might try to call this afternoon just to make sure.

svivian

WKR
Heirloom falls into one of two categories...

1. Rare, sought after and or historical. In this case you want to try to keep a safe queen

2. Pappys old boom stick that has killed more critters than Satan and nicknamed as the finger of god. Full of character and memories.

I think these rifles fall into category two... thread both of them. This also resolves any issues of having more than one heir to your rifle collection.

Marshfly

WKR
Suppressor use will become more and more common from here on out. I would bet that my kids might rarely fire another unsuppressed centerfire rifle except as a novelty again. Short barrels will become more and more common as well with the rapidity that rangefinders and dialing scopes are coming into use.

wesfromky

WKR
Ok fine, thread your stuff to 1/2x28 and have to use some cheap little adapter. Or bolt some massive device to your barrel so you can attach the silencer. Neither of those sound as good as just being able to attach the silencer with no devices and no adapters.
As long as the silencer is HUB compatible, you can get 1/2 x 28 mounts.

wesfromky

WKR
Why would you want that?
Maybe you have a rifle with a 1/2x28 thread from the factory? My RAR gen2 in 5.56 came with 1/2x28 so I just use a 1/2x28 hub adapter with my hydrogen. The only time when you need to mess with thread adapters is when the silencer only supports 5/8x24, or you have rifles with different threads and don't want to change out the hub adapter. I know HUB is still sorta new, but there is no reason to buy a can without it now. Just gives you more flexibility.

LeftyWilbury

Lil-Rokslider
@sbaker0029 just call him. that website looks the same as it did two months ago when I sent him my tikka.
i printed out the order form and called him and asked him what to write down and sent it off.
one week later i had it back (he's 1-day away from me for UPS/USPS).
5/8-24 w/ shoulder and a thread protector on standard tikka T3x hunter barrel chopped to 20"

Attachments

• KC2024.jpg
    KC2024.jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 3

atmat

WKR
Ok fine, thread your stuff to 1/2x28 and have to use some cheap little adapter. Or bolt some massive device to your barrel so you can attach the silencer. Neither of those sound as good as just being able to attach the silencer with no devices and no adapters.
Haha relax man, I didn’t insult your mom.

The adapters are 100% fine and are cost-effective.

Yours looks better for sure, even with the “cheap little” thread-on shoulder 😉

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Haha relax man, I didn’t insult your mom.

The adapters are 100% fine and are cost-effective.

Yours looks better for sure, even with the “cheap little” thread-on shoulder 😉
Oh I'm not offended, I just don't know why folks wouldn't do it the best way possible

atmat

WKR
Oh I'm not offended, I just don't know why folks wouldn't do it the best way possible
$ or time. And some folks, like me, don’t care about aesthetic anyway. Given there’s no functional improvement, it’s just not worth it to me.

But it does look 100% better.