Which rifle to Suppress?

I have a pair of tikka stainless hunters in 6.5cm and .308.

Currently setup identical with a NF SHV in sportsmatch rings, sorry no pictures.

In their infancy with clean bores and scuff free stocks hahaha.

Resized_20211124_212017.jpeg

Any day now I will hopefully be picking up my first suppressor, a harvester evo courtesy the gear deals thread.

I've been going back and forth on which rifle and caliber to have cut back to 18" and threaded.
Most of my hunting is done with shots 300yds and in. Having problems seeing where one is really going to be better than the other.

So what say you, suppressed .308 or 6.5?

Should I just flip a coin?

Note: Not getting both done. One is going to safe queen status after this to be passed down eventually. The other will probably get a RokStock when funds become available after the threading.

My thoughts.
I have not taken the time to prove the first one as a fact, but I feel that the 308 would suffer a little less velocity loss (as a percentage) when chopping the barrel back.
Second, the .308 is more versatile in its ability to go from mouse to moose in capability. You could load light monos at high speed for antelope and deer or shoot slower heavy bullets for elk and moose.
Third, the .308 would yield slightly more benefit from the recoil reduction of a suppressor.
Fourth, preserve the barrel length on the Creedmoor to help maximize its potential.

WKR
18" barreled 6.5 Creedmoors do great. I haven't had a fluted barrel cut back yet but guessing with right adapters it would be fine. Nice looking rifles.

OP
sbaker0029
Ok.

No offense, but they are tools. I have no idea why someone would buy a hammer to not use it. Thread them, use them.

Or sell the one you intend to "set back" and buy ammo instead.

None taken. I agree they are just tools, but I also find them things of beauty as well.

Final out come might be thread both or sell to fund ammo.

OP
sbaker0029
18" barreled 6.5 Creedmoors do great. I haven't had a fluted barrel cut back yet but guessing with right adapters it would be fine. Nice looking rifles.

I am a little worried about how it's going to work out with them being fluted. I talked to a smith locally and he said to bring it in for him to look at to see if he could. Not confidence building to say the least. Might send it off.

WKR
I'd send the barreled action to one of the better places for setting that up. I used Thunderbeast to take care of mine but I use Thunderbeast suppressors. See if someone names a credible shop and send it to them. Well worth it.

Geewhiz

WKR
I am a little worried about how it's going to work out with them being fluted. I talked to a smith locally and he said to bring it in for him to look at to see if he could. Not confidence building to say the least. Might send it off.

if this is a concern go over to hunt talk and get ahold of this guy.

Fire_9

WKR

I was going to recommend the same thing

I am with others and just thread/cut both, but if it were me and I had to choose one, I would do the 308. It has better ammo options across the board, regardless if you reload or not.

atmat

WKR
Note: Not getting both done. One is going to safe queen status after this to be passed down eventually.
I don’t mean this to sound pretentious. But factory Tikkas aren’t really heirloom quality firearms worthy of passing down.

Make it what you want it (including cut/thread), hunt it hard, and pass it down to your kids full of memories with the marks to prove it.

They’ll appreciate that more than a cheap factory rifle from the 2020’s.

Edit: just to be clear, I pretty exclusively buy Tikkas, so I’m not crapping on them here.

OP
sbaker0029

Thanks for the lead on that