Which rifle scope rings to purchase?

Elite

WKR
Hey everyone. I currently am setting up a savage ultralight rifle and will be mounting a 3-18x44 Leica scope on it. I am looking at the talley light weight rings but I am wondering which height to order? The rifle is a LA also. Also wondering which style of anti cant level to purchase

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are going talley they sell a ring top cap bubble level. Very seemless finish and one less thing to mount on your scope

I prefer a more robust ring and rail combo as I have seen issues with talley direct mounts. Area 419 rails and hawkins/nightforce/zeiss ultralight rings have worked well for me and now every gun gets a near identical setup.

Long action savage’s have the front and rear ring holes really far apart. To the point where you are almost forced to use a rail. Unless you get a really long scope.

Long action savage’s have the front and rear ring holes really far apart. To the point where you are almost forced to use a rail. Unless you get a really long scope.
Never owned a savage but that's also a good point I forgot to mention with rails is the flexibility of them. My old man prefers a scope sitting really far back and uses a nightforce nxs 2.5-10. Needed a rail for his setup

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
If you are going talley they sell a ring top cap bubble level. Very seemless finish and one less thing to mount on your scope

Those look really clean and simple. Have you used one? Wondering if it would interfere with reading the exposed turret adjustment

I have use one, they don't interfere with anything considering they are pretty low profile but like I stated I have switched everything over to rails. I also prefer offset levels built into my rings so I can level the gun without moving my head from behind the scope. I just use my non dominant eye to read level

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I prefer a more robust ring and rail combo as I have seen issues with talley direct mounts. Area 419 rails and hawkins/nightforce/zeiss ultralight rings have worked well for me and now every gun gets a near identical setup.
I've never had an issue with the talleys I've used but I believe they can happen. Im getting a Murphy precision rail and ken farrel rings for my kimber 300wm.

I've never had an issue with the talleys I've used but I believe they can happen. Im getting a Murphy precision rail and ken farrel rings for my kimber 300wm.
The issue I have seen is with direct mounts that would align differently when torqued down. Put stress on scope tube caused marking and accuracy/zero issues. With multiple scopes. Other talleys I've used have been fine.

I’m pretty bummed. Got my scope today and went to mount it and the rings do not work. I ordered direct from Talley and put in the order comments the rifle/scope combo just to be sure. I’ve done this in the past and one time they reached out and sent me a better option instead for my setup.

Was hoping to get the rifle out this weekend to sight in and break-in, so it looks like I’ll be looking locally for some sort of mounting option..

I’m pretty bummed. Got my scope today and went to mount it and the rings do not work. I ordered direct from Talley and put in the order comments the rifle/scope combo just to be sure. I’ve done this in the past and one time they reached out and sent me a better option instead for my setup.

Was hoping to get the rifle out this weekend to sight in and break-in, so it looks like I’ll be looking locally for some sort of mounting option..

Be careful when looking for a rail because the Ultralite has 8-40 holes, whereas most savages use smaller screws.
It was a pain for me to find the right rail for my Ultralite but that was 2 years ago When they were pretty new. So hopefully for your sake that has gotten better

KenLee

WKR

See my comment above. Their help on proper rings is no longer valid

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
Be careful when looking for a rail because the Ultralite has 8-40 holes, whereas most savages use smaller screws.
It was a pain for me to find the right rail for my Ultralite but that was 2 years ago When they were pretty new. So hopefully for your sake that has gotten better

Great tip thanks a lot