Which Puffy Vest

Trial153

WKR
I never thought about Simms. How is the length/fit in comparison to the Kelvin Lite?

I have the the Kelvin vest not the lite.
The Simms is lighter and thinner, it rolls down and pack pretty close for what it is. The fit is true to size and not overly slim at all..length is just at or a hair below your waist. I wear XL and it earlier fits over my first two layers and then under a hard or soft shell. In the winter its a go to item over a sweatshirt wearing it for everyday stuff.

For the money, ( 85 ish on eBay new) it's a hell of nice piece. Honestly I like a lot of what Simms puts out, some of there soft shells with windstopper are nicer for hunting then a lot brands that just label hunting clothing.

OP
C
It sure looks plenty long enough for the guy in the pic. How do you wear your vests and jackets......covering your ***? I really prefer a shorter mid-layer so it's not hanging out below my outer layers. And most my outer layers probably ride higher than they do on the guy in the pics.

Agreed, but short on us is still long on others. I like a vest to ride right at the middle of my belt or maybe a hair lower. I like an outer layer to ride about an inch below my belt; right about in line with the pocket. Honestly, the Eddie Bauer is actually too long by almost 2 inches.

I have the the Kelvin vest not the lite.
The Simms is lighter and thinner, it rolls down and pack pretty close for what it is. The fit is true to size and not overly slim at all..length is just at or a hair below your waist. I wear XL and it earlier fits over my first two layers and then under a hard or soft shell. In the winter its a go to item over a sweatshirt wearing it for everyday stuff.

For the money, ( 85 ish on eBay new) it's a hell of nice piece. Honestly I like a lot of what Simms puts out, some of there soft shells with windstopper are nicer for hunting then a lot brands that just label hunting clothing.

I saw that a fly shop up in Cherry Creek says they have them on their site, so maybe I'll run up there this weekend and check it out. I got their Gore-Tex gloves (with fleece fingerless liners) this winter for ice fishing and they are by far the warmest gloves I have ever worn and not very bulky at that.

Madnik

Lil-Rokslider
Patagonia Nano Puff Vest is another option. While expensive at full retail, Patagonia runs sales and their August sale is among them best.

LostArra

WKR
If you can find a sale the Outdoor Research Transcendent Vest is nice. The brown one usually can be found at a good price

Last edited: