Which Protein Bars do you use that DON'T Invoke Acid-Reflux???

TheGDog

WKR
ATM I've been using MET-Rx Big 100 bars. Because there were a couple flavors of them which didn't turn into a complete melty-mess whenever I'm in high heat.

But... unfortunately they seem to cause me pretty strong Acid-Reflux later-on with the pack back on and cinched on my guts.

So, figured I'd ask around and get some ideas of what Protein Bars a bunch of others use, so that over the next year I can try them out on outings to figure out which ones might be a better replacement in terms of not causing Reflux.

Bonus points if you can recommend bars you know for sure don't turn into a nasty mess in high heat situations.

Thx,
-G

JStol5

WKR
I like Think bars, pure protein bars, fitcrunch bars… if I think of more I’ll post here.

Edit- quest cookie dough are awesome. And do well in heat (I live in Southern California and I’ve never seen one melt).

Last edited:

Cynoscion

Lil-Rokslider
Quest bars cookies and cream flavor have been and still are my favorite. I’d hate to think about how many I’ve eaten over the years but they still taste good to me.

Power crunch have been good for me

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
Here's to hoping one of these dang brands can help with the Reflux! Thanks people... I really appreciate everybody taking the time to weigh-in like this!

We know a couple where the Husband had a surgical procedure done where they put an expandable ring of Neodymium magnets in place over the sphincter above the stomach. He seems to be doing just fine these days.

But such an invasive step gives me great pause. Cause once you get that procedure done, you've got magnets in you from now on. You can't get an MRI. You need to carry a special card with you to the airport as well that explains why he sets off the machine.

The no-MRI's thing is the big one that gives me pause. With my back issues... the bulging discs. That seems like a no-go to me.

Last edited:
ATM I've been using MET-Rx Big 100 bars. Because there were a couple flavors of them which didn't turn into a complete melty-mess whenever I'm in high heat.

But... unfortunately they seem to cause me pretty strong Acid-Reflux later-on with the pack back on and cinched on my guts.

So, figured I'd ask around and get some ideas of what Protein Bars a bunch of others use, so that over the next year I can try them out on outings to figure out which ones might be a better replacement in terms of not causing Reflux.

Bonus points if you can recommend bars you know for sure don't turn into a nasty mess in high heat situations.

Thx,
-G
OP this doesn't address your question, but gives you something else to consider...

If you're not opposed to NOT having protein bars, you might consider reserve most of your protein intake for the main meals (B, L, D). Protein is notoriously challenging to break down in the gut...especially in combination with fat/fiber (which most bars include...even if it's sweetening from chicory root...).

Focusing on easier-to-digest foods mid-day while hiking may eliminate the gut-issues you're having related to reflux. Protein intake at the meals should provide sufficient amounts to recover during the hunt itself.

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
OP this doesn't address your question, but gives you something else to consider...

If you're not opposed to NOT having protein bars, you might consider reserve most of your protein intake for the main meals (B, L, D). Protein is notoriously challenging to break down in the gut...especially in combination with fat/fiber (which most bars include...even if it's sweetening from chicory root...).

Focusing on easier-to-digest foods mid-day while hiking may eliminate the gut-issues you're having related to reflux. Protein intake at the meals should provide sufficient amounts to recover during the hunt itself.
Well... I do know that if I'm good about drinking down some Aminos mid-day that helps a DANG lot with not being sore or tired by end of day.

Typically because of this Reflux issue I avoid that MET-RX Big 100 bar until it's time to go back home, so I'll eat one on the hike-out. But this last time at bat, I was just raw climbing up the face of this mountain, so I really needed to be good about stopping to eat and drink at intervals so I didn't end up all exhausted at the top like I was when I made the hurried decision to opt to take the only shot opportunity that I had on this buck. Which was not a good angle. It didn't end well. He got back up and trotted a ways away... and this was on very steep terrain and I was almost out of water, so after a couple hundred yards of searching/scanning I couldn't continue to pursue him. I had to call it and begin my descent. The T-storm and rain and sleet were also a factor in that decision as well.

So anyway... been reflecting on all the choices made around that day. And now realize if I'm to continue on in that zone, in this same area, I'm going to need to modify my pre-prep load-out so I have more than enough fluids to support that type of harsh frontal-assault just straight-up the mountain like that. The Acid attack happening in that scenario was the last thing I needed.

BT_707

FNG
Rx bars have been my favorite lately. Quality and limited ingredients is a major plus!

lamarclark09

Lil-Rokslider
I love quest bars in almost all the flavors. But my favorite ones are chocolate peanut butter and ofcourse cookies & cream.