Which pack? I don't get it

Bluto

WKR
Okay, I've spent literally months reading everything I can find, here and elsewhere. I've figured enough out that I'm going with Kifaru or Stone Glacier, and that's as far as I can get. How on earth does anyone pull the trigger on (let's use one number for sake of discussion) a $650 pack and never put eyes on it or check it out in person? Videos just don't cut it, pictures tell even less.

How did you guys do it? Especially considering what I think I know:
Kifaru: Cadillac ride with the belt, heavier of the two options, more modularity/options - but bags include none so you're actually looking at 700-800 by the time you're done.
SG: Great function if not as "soft" of a ride, slick design that's simple and super light, some options but not quite the modularity (if wanted) as the Kifaru, but you get what you buy - $654 gets you the sky archer 6200 as advertised. Done. Go hunt.

Am I way off base? Is the new Kifaru suspension a gear junkie thing or worth forgoing a good deal on a bikini frame? (For reference, I still shoot a Hoyt Alphamax and wouldn't dream of a new bow for quite a while - I'm the opposite of a gear junkie.)

Back to the shadows and reading until my eyes bleed.

Sometimes you've just gotta jump in the deep end of the pool. Seriously, can this many guys be wrong? I bought my Kifaru (bikini, 4800 Highcamp) without having ever seen one other than pictures and videos, and have never regretted it. You need to talk to Aron Snyder, he'll get you on the path to a pack that will make you happy. Looking through some of the threads, you should find his number, he gives it out pretty freely. You can always call Kifaru and ask to speak with him as well.

husky390

WKR
I believe both packs offer a 30 day trial. It's tough to go wrong with either of them, I know since I own both.
Here's what I can tell you from my experience.
I like the Kifaru belt better since it has pals webbing.
I won't own a Kifaru bag without center zip access.
My SG is more comfortable than my Kifaru but I have the older Duplex and the new frame looks similar to the SG and more comfortable than the old Duplex.

Good luck in picking one.

1hoda

Banned
Take your time. Call customer service at the pack companies. Ask questions about methods, materials, R&D, field testing, and common uses. Ask about common complaints. Tell them what you are looking for. Narrow it down then order some different models. Try them around home. Send the ones you don't like back and keep the one that you like best. Paying the extra shipping is a bummer but you will wind up with the right pack for you, and that's what you are ultimately after.

Also, I don't know where you're located, but assuming that there are some guys on this site near you, reach out to them, I'm sure they'd be willing to let you check out a pack, try it on and walk around the block.

colonel00

WKR
^^^This! Post where you are, in this thread or perhaps another with your location in the title. There are very good odds that someone is within a decent driving distance that has a pack you can check out in person.

tttoadman

WKR
I have the SG and 2 different bags. It is so comfortable to hunt with, you forget it is even on. I have the new Duplex frame with one of the bigger bags. They both pack heavy good enough for me. I would not hesitate to buy either. I think one item that makes a difference is the belt attachments. The SG has a 2" belt and any std stuff that slides on a belt is good to go. The Kifaru belts have the Pals mounts, and takes a little more searching to get stuff mounted on the belt.

Let us know where you are from. There is likely someone close by that can give you a hands on.

Full disclosure: I haven't used a SG, but I have a new Kifaru frame. You can go for a used frame if you can't afford it, but if you can but the new frame. I would look at older/used packs as a way to save a little money (like the highcamps). There are several packs that work out of the box so you only really need the modular pieces if you go with the cheaper more modular packs like the Highcamp, AMR, Rambler, Arghili, Markhor, and Tahr. But the EMR2, T1 and T2 are ready to go out of the box.

To me, which I think is kind of overlooked is what is your intended loads. If you physically are never going to be able to carry over 120lbs then both will work fine. With my Kifaru I can barely tell the difference between a 40lb pack or a 70lb pack (other than putting it on). You should watch episode 1 of Gritty Bowmen if you haven't watched it yet titled "Why are Kifaru Packs so Expensive".

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I've been down this road a couple times, so I'll geek out a little if it helps you decide - biggest thing I can say is the bag matters, but buy your pack based on the frame. End of story in my opinion. If it isn't comfortable, or you can't get it dialed to you, then it doesn't matter how good the bag is, you'll never be happy, especially if you train with it as well.

I know from personal experience that Kurt will work with you on fit over the phone, etc to get you dialed, have no fears about getting that right. I am SUPER impressed with their company. Never heard anything but praise for Kifaru as well.

I haven't handled a Kifaru in person, but if I was buying another pack, I'd sure get one mailed out to me to at least try out. You can jump off the deep end and just buy one.....but if you're that torn, the 30 bucks in shipping is well worth the piece of mind.

The consensus from reading a ton of pack threads is that they both (duplex old, new, and Krux) carry heavy loads well. I've run an MR NICE frame and the Krux. They both did very well, but the Krux has better adjustability, albeit you'll have to know what you're doing. It is very much ultralight (I smile every time I pick it up) and you make a couple sacrifices going that way - the SG is foam and webbing, with no shaping/stiffener material in the belt or harness. It costs weight, but I think it helps distribute load a little better. No idea if Kifaru has that, my guess is yes? The new MR frame has it, and it's done very well. The great thing I've found with the Krux frame is loading meat is very easy because you can lay it flat on the ground with the belt and harness down. The downside for me (I have a short torso) has been the actual frame stiffeners, which are super strong, but it can feel like a board on your back at times. It carries very heavy weight well, but does have flex, so you have to take care with how you load it to manage barrelling. Their dry bag works perfect if you use the load shelf.

The xpac fabric is awesome, that's a huge plus for the SG bags/frame. The actual system is done extremely well, very well thought out, and easy to use. They don't have a ton of exterior pockets besides the access bag and belt pouches.....but their new bag this year has side pockets built in if you like exterior organization.

Hope that helps you decide. Call both companies, I'm sure they'll help.

hunt1up

WKR
If you aren't a gear junkie, but want something premium, then buy lightly used or perhaps an older model.

I have a 26" duplex frame and love it. There's always some used ones around.

also with this in mind, You can always sell your system if it doesn't work well for you on this site. There are always guys looking to buy on here. You loose a little if you do this but it's ussually only 10 percent or less if it's a current year pack. I'm on my third system still looking for my perfect setup. I'll ditto an above comment: it's the fit of the frame to your body that makes all the difference. Since every body is shaped differently, different systems will feel different depending on the person.

ams

WKR
It's tax season so I would watch the classifieds and ebay. You can pick some stuff up at good prices if you're quick and usually turn around and sell it for the same if you don't care for it.

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
Whoa - much appreciated info, gents! Thanks for the suggestions and insight. Definitely a couple of things here to take a peek into.

I have gotten a recommendation from Aron (and Frank) which fits about what I would have said (Markhor bag for weight/simplicity.) I haven't talked to Kurt, honestly I'm pretty sure about the SG options.

Great idea about location - especially this week. I'm leaving Modesto, CA headed cross country (thanks Uncle Sam). Vegas tonight and tomorrow, then Flagstaff-ish, then Albuquerque, Amarillo, Ft Worth, somewhere in Louisiana then Mobile and finally ft Walton Beach, FL. Let me know if I'm strolling through your town and you're a kifaru/SG owner!

Last question for now. Does anyone actually use the UL hunter frame with arrow stays? This one boggles my mind with the previous frame stay shapes.

Cheers fellas.

209hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I've got the UL frame and mountain warrior bag on order right now, should be here around the end of the month. I live in Tracy, CA so if you're from Modesto you can try it out no problem

I've been using the UL Hunter frame for months now. Train 4-5x a week with loads of 40-100# (depending on the work out). It moves very well with light loads and handles 100# like a champ. It's a super comfortable frame at any weight and modularity puts it over the top. Obviously using 1 arrow per side gives a little more flexibility while 2 arrows per side offer less flexibility. Either 1 or 2 arrows per side give me the same feeling of vertical rigidity when carrying up to 100#. I have no doubt this frame will carry anything I'm man enough to strap to it.

dotman

WKR
The UL Hunter is more then capable, I run two sets of arrows and it is more comfortable then my bikini was. You can always swap out stays as the only diff between the UL and Hunting frame is the stays.

Whoa - much appreciated info, gents! Thanks for the suggestions and insight. Definitely a couple of things here to take a peek into.

I have gotten a recommendation from Aron (and Frank) which fits about what I would have said (Markhor bag for weight/simplicity.) I haven't talked to Kurt, honestly I'm pretty sure about the SG options.

Great idea about location - especially this week. I'm leaving Modesto, CA headed cross country (thanks Uncle Sam). Vegas tonight and tomorrow, then Flagstaff-ish, then Albuquerque, Amarillo, Ft Worth, somewhere in Louisiana then Mobile and finally ft Walton Beach, FL. Let me know if I'm strolling through your town and you're a kifaru/SG owner!

Last question for now. Does anyone actually use the UL hunter frame with arrow stays? This one boggles my mind with the previous frame stay shapes.

Cheers fellas.

Im in Modesto myself , if you want to try on a Kuiu ultra , im here for you. Their show room is just up the road in Dixon so if you like you can go get fitted. Its a lower price pack and has been real good and comfy to me. i like it so far in the year and a half Ive had it.

Mosby

WKR
I just ordered a Stone Glacier pack. I decided to focus on one primary feature. Weight reduction. I want to reduce the weight of the pack I am slinging around when elk hunting. I went with the SG Approach. I wanted a simple, small bag that I can carry my stuff for the day and load a quarter out on. I had different requirements when I was younger but I am now a middle aged hunter. I used to be a bigger is better guy but I am reducing the weight and amount of gear I use and carry going forward. Everything is getting a weight reduction, including me.

I would determine what your main priorities for your pack are and buy based upon those and how you hunt. At least, that is what I did and that made my decision easier for me.

I ordered SG, paradox and a demo HPG. Was able to try them all at the same time under weight. All three companies were very attentive and wanted their pack to work for me, but we're very interested in my thoughts on all the packs. Returned two, kept one. A lot to shell out at once, but being able to try them side by side was great.

mfolch

WKR
Come on, man, you gotta tell us which one you kept!

I ordered SG, paradox and a demo HPG. Was able to try them all at the same time under weight. All three companies were very attentive and wanted their pack to work for me, but we're very interested in my thoughts on all the packs. Returned two, kept one. A lot to shell out at once, but being able to try them side by side was great.