Which pack? I don't get it

The problem is that some try to cut every ounce they can and those 2oz are unacceptable to them. Also, even though the pack compresses very well some don't like to have to deal with the extra fabric. Running such a big pack primarily as a day pack may get annoying, so there is that to consider. I personally have an EMR2 and a 22Mag and feel it covers both purposes quite well, but that's a lot of money and many would prefer to find a single pack to do it all. I think that you will be very happy with the setup you layed out. The spotting scope pocket is longer and narrower than the large side pocket so it all depends on how you plan on using it. If you plan on using it for an 80mm+ spotting scope you will prefer the spotting scope pocket because the taper is cut to better fit it. The spotting scope pocket is also 2.5oz lighter and that doesn't even account for the fact that you will need mallice clips or 550 cord to attach a side pocket.

As far as the load shelf goes, I think they made a universal one for a short time out of the Ku material. However, Aron discourages using larger packs like this and suggests putting the meat in a garbage bag inside the pack. If you did still want a load shelf I think that the Exo one could be modified to work. http://exomountaingear.com/shop/meat-shelf/

i agree with everything you said,,

i was just looking at the large side pocket again and i would change my setup to a spotter instead,, also the extra material may be annoying as well with the agile

maybe the markhor would be better

I would go with the Argali if it were me. It compresses very well. You can't add fabric, but you can always compress it. As long as you are getting a guide lid you will rarely be using the main bag as a day pack except for the things you will rarely need. Everything else will be in the pockets or the lid.

very true, just compress the argali
can you use a guide lid, spotter and a large or medium pod on the bottom on the very back of the argali?
the guide lid would just come over the top of the spotter it seems from the pics on this thread...

CC

FNG
thank you for clarifying that
i had watched the videos as well and thought thats not correct

seems like they could put a simple shelf for all those bags or even a separate purchase

call it the "SHELF"

maybe the "grab it" could be used in between the frame and the bag if someone wanted another option

I've never put my hands on one of these packs, so i am guessing based on reading and pictures

not that i want a meat shelf, but the versatility of a pack that can accommodate that as well,,seems pretty good.

seems to me the kifaru packs are without question the most versatile and option oriented on the market

which is a great thing,,just makes it harder to decide which options to go with

i mostly day hunt, but do backpack camp with my family.

i keep changing my mind but i am leaning to this setup

hunter duplex 26"
argali with guide lid
large side pocket (less expensive than the spotter pod and more ci)
2 small belt pockets

i read the argali has a place to hang a bladder inside???

this to me would be a very versatile pack with so much room to grow (7000ci)

other than the meat shelf I'm not sure why someone would choose the tahr over the size the argali is capable of.

weight is only 2oz penalty for the argali but almost double the ci

any thoughts?

I'm new to this type of backpacking and gear but to me it seems more ci for the $$ and versatile as well

I have yet to use mine in the field, but I think you would be very happy with that choice. Believe it or not, the Argali can get real small!!! and with two side pockets it can be Huge! With this setup you can cover many situation with one pack. I will be using very similar to you, family camping carrying kids gear in the summer and also hunting via spike camp and compressing to nothing for day hunting in fall. I did find after getting the pack I like the belt pouches in the back over the spotting scope/side pocket on the side but this is a personal preference thing. Good luck with your search, I think your headed in the right direction

Ranger04

FNG
I went down to Kifaru yesterday and met with Aron and Frank. They gave me some great advise on frame and pack options. I walked away with the right frame size and pack that will work best for me. They are great guys and very approachable. Give them a call before you buy a pack!

I went down to Kifaru yesterday and met with Aron and Frank. They gave me some great advise on frame and pack options. I walked away with the right frame size and pack that will work best for me. They are great guys and very approachable. Give them a call before you buy a pack!

i have been emailing back and forth with frank

he has been very helpful for sure.

so many choices

I have yet to use mine in the field, but I think you would be very happy with that choice. Believe it or not, the Argali can get real small!!! and with two side pockets it can be Huge! With this setup you can cover many situation with one pack. I will be using very similar to you, family camping carrying kids gear in the summer and also hunting via spike camp and compressing to nothing for day hunting in fall. I did find after getting the pack I like the belt pouches in the back over the spotting scope/side pocket on the side but this is a personal preference thing. Good luck with your search, I think your headed in the right direction

what size belt pouches are you using on the bak of the pack?

also what about the frame size

24 or 26 pros/cons???

There really are no pros/cons; the choice should be made based on your torso length and preferences. There are shorter guys on here that still run a 26 because they prefer more lift with heavy loads. Also, with the new adjustable height load lifter this can be adjusted as desired (some people like lower angles when using as day pack). I like to run my pack a little low, plus I have a very long torso, so the 26" is almost too short for me. It all depends on how long your torso is and if your hips can handle a low running pack.

after some thought going into this I'm leaning this way
coyote brown for everything
hunter duplex 26
mountain warrior
2 small belt bags(will medium belt bags fit on belt?)
grab it ll
k kit compression kit
1 meat bag

I'm thinking this bag will be able to haul more than i am capable of weight wise
also i like the versatility of the entry options to the main bag
i bought the meat bag for a couple reasons

mainly to be able to strap gear to the outside of the bag with the k clip compressions straps, and or also to put meat in inside the pack

i don't think you can go wrong with any of their setups though

Looks like a solid setup. Some people prefer the tactical frame for a little more rigidity, but that's a personal preference. Plus the back is CB if you're a fashionista and would prefer CB EVERYTHING. You can get the compression kit with the Grab-it to save a little money. The meat bag may be a little excessive as you could accomplish what you want with the grab-it and compression straps and TAG BOMB bags alone, things will just get a little bloody. You might prefer just getting a dry bag or bringing a trash bag if your goal is to prevent this.

so i can get the k compression kit with the grab it ll?
i figure i could separate the pack from frame and drop meat in between and i could use the meat bag for this and or other things,i f i had a full pack
good thoughts on the trash bags
i usually have a few of those in my pack...

tttoadman

WKR
I have the 35L OR dry bag. You can get 1/2 of a boned out elk in it and it goes into the MT Warrior bag pretty nice.
Lay it flat and use the grabit to push it up as far as possible. The lid holds everything nice and snug from the top. I don't have any extra compression straps , and I don't have any complaints. It was a nice setup.

Yes, you can get the compression kit with the Grab-it but they call it a "Lash Kit". So, what I would do is take the Warrior off of the frame. Put the Grab-it on the frame and then put a BOMB bag or 2 in a trash bag right on the frame. Use the grab-it and lash kit to strap it tight to the frame. Then use the compression straps to lightly compress the Warrior over top of the meat and hold it in place.

CC

FNG
I have 2 larges and 2 Medium I also have 2 smalls on the belt. I will be playing around with it this year to see what works Best

if i am not hauling more than 40lbs 95% of the time is their a advantage to just getting the ul frame 26" instead of the hunter frame 26"
for the argali setup i mentioned

oldgoat

WKR
There was a thread about pockets a while back, I found the small to be a little smaller than i wanted, medium will hold stuff with more room to rummage through without dropping stuff out, plus at the end of the day they allow me to store gloves, tab, calls etc so I know exactly where they are when I need them the next morning. I personally run a medium on the left and on the right I have a mini and a nalgene bottle. Last year we went to primarily drinking from nalgene and stayed way better hydrated, still had bag of water, but we just refilled the nalgene, have you ever noticed getting winded sucking on a bladder, doesn't happen with the nalgene. It was a serious improvement for us and we learned about it from seeing guys like Aron and Frank using the nalgene asked why it was done. It was hard to believe how much of an improvement it made to hydrating, plus if you use drink mix, it's much easier with a nalgene and then washing mix out when done is easier. And for your last question, if the arrows don't work, which they do, you can buy standard stays, only a ten dollar gamble if arrows aren't comfortable. My wife hauled right around that weight in her UL and she's in her fifties and getting arthritic. I plan on buying one for myself maybe

thank of the info oldgoat

great idea on the medium much on ones side and nalgene on the other

i kinda figured the ul frame would be sufficient for my use and at least i can upgrade it if i needed to