Which one...

GRAYLIGHT

FNG
Okay, so I am narrowing it down here... As far as an AR platform, which one and why? All will be most likely in the 16" version, possibly 14.5"...

Novseke

LMT

La Rue Tactical

Anyone have any experience with these?

BuckSnort

WKR
You can wait till you see parts and components go on sale and build an AR for cheap.. Buy a lower and install all the parts yourself..Very easy.. Then wait for a decent upper to go on sale..

If I was gonna spend the kind of money that the above mentioned companies charge I would get a Dtech upper.. See websight http://www.dtechsuperstore.com/ Also, Hells Canyon here at rockslide should be able to help you or at least point you in the right direction..

OP
G

GRAYLIGHT

FNG
Mike at Hells Canyon is looking out for a couple options but I am pretty well set on one of the above as they are highly regarded by my spec op's friend and my cousin who is still active Army Ranger. They have tried them all and both agree that the above rifles are the cream of the crop... I just wanted to get others opinions for the hell of it... Money on this project is not a barrier. I want the best and closest to MOA rifle I can buy.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can't go wrong with the ones you mentioned marlon. I literally wouldn't be able to decide between them, what logo do you like the best? What are you goin to do for optics? Which one is Commifornia legal? Oops I meant California, my bad. Those bullet buttons suck almost as much as 10 round magazines!

TCREED

FNG
LaRue

I have also spent time in the same community as your friend and have trigger time on LMT (MWS is the UK Designated Marksman Rifle), and the LaRue (just take a second and see how many of the SOCOM sniper competetition guys used the LaRue). The LaRue has an edge in my opinion for both accuracy and quality. The LaRue is a custom built weapon, the LMT is a production line, mass produced gun, an impressive one, but still not a 'true custom.'

OP
G

GRAYLIGHT

FNG
I had pretty much made up my mind on LaRue for the reason stated above. The platform will be built in .308 not 5.56 or .223 and there will be a Elcan SpecterDR scope put on it... TCREED... Any thoughts to that pairing?

TCREED

FNG
LaRue/Elcan

I think the Elcan is a great optic for a weapon that needs to have the capability of transitioning between CQB and moderate distances. I think if you go that route you will eventually be frustrated with the lack of mag. The OBR will reach out and touch someone at 800+, well outside the practical mag range of the Elcan. What do you want the weapon to be able to do? If its work outside the 300m range, I would recommend the NF 2.5-10X32 or similiar lighter weight optics with a higher top end mag. If its more of a 300 and in gun, then I would say the Elcan is great, but brings up the question of why go the Larue route.

Im a NF fan due to their bomb-proof construction and ease of use. Ive run NF's at work on the Mk-12 and XM-3 (I believe it was the F1?).

I would also say that the 2.5-10 NF's offer quite a bit in terms of ZS, decent mag range in a lightweight package, Mil-Mil relation between reticle and knobs, and as I stated earlier - bombproof construction.

Good luck putting this together, sounds like you are doing it right!

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider
I have Noveske 10.5" upper built on an VLTOR upper receiver and I love it. I've never had a malfunction of any kind, regardless of what I feed it. I have to agree with what others have said - you can't go wrong with any that you have mentioned.

One other option is to pick up your lower receiver locally, then buy a gently used upper receiver made by one of the companies you mentioned from the ar15.com forums.

OP
G

GRAYLIGHT

FNG
The reason I wanted to go for a top end/custom built rifle comes from the fact that I want it to perform better than average downrange... Essentially I want a tack driver at 800 yds... Hence the 7.62/.308 platform.

I chose Elcan because of it's 1-6 MAG and has the ability to switch to red dot capability with the flip of a lever and you're ready for CQB... It appeared most adaptable, better than an ACOG, not quite as good as a 10 MAG rifle scope but somewhere in between. I want an all around, capable platform.

Is there a more advantageous scope solution? I want to ensure I have both close quarters and downrange accuracy, without compromising one or the other... In between is okay.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I am also curious as to the uses for the rifle. This has more to do with the specs and less to do with the manufacturer. As mentioned before all of these are top notch gunmakers.

OP
G

GRAYLIGHT

FNG
I am also curious as to the uses for the rifle. This has more to do with the specs and less to do with the manufacturer. As mentioned before all of these are top notch gunmakers.

For (IF) the world goes to $hit lol... Not going hunting with it aside for a couple coyotes MAYBE... Just the gun range...

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry Marlon,

Your post answered my question before I got it posted.

For CQB to 800 yards, I think the 1-6 scopes would work well. I would look at the SWFA SS 1-6 FFP as a good option. The 1-4 has a great reputation, and the 1-6 should be available soon.

Also a scope like the above mentioned NF would work well, and you could mount a micro dot for CQB work.

For 800 yards and a .308 velocity is important, so I would look at 20 in. barrels.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
If it was for target work only, I would look at an even longer barrel and a dedicated LR scope with a little more magnification in the 4-16 or 5-20 range. You could still mount the micro dot also.

Marlon,
As mentioned you are getting some great advice in this thread. If you are going semi custom/custom route, I forgot to mention the GAP 10 last night to you. You're very likely to get 1/2 MOA capability out of it, and GAP has one of the best reputations for custom guns anywhere. The famed Chris Kyle (Former seal sniper with 165 + confirmed kills) uses their bolt rifles now that hes in the civilian world. There are many guys rocking these Gap 10's in full on long range competition. That tells you what kind of accuracy they are getting out of them. Check 'em out here:
http://www.gaprecision.net/ga-precision-2012-custom-rifles/ga-precision-g.a.-precision-gap-10-.html

Another option to explore would be the PWS line up of rifles. They are a little different breed as they are a gas-piston rifle setup, but they are phenomenal rifles as well. I'm sure you can google up some reviews on them. They are more of a custom rifle than a production rifle as well and are made out of Boise ID. If you want I can get you one of these through myself but its going to take a few months (Not always a bad thing to have a gun back-ordered. They are popular for a reason!).
http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=25

None of the guns listed or mentioned in this thread are going to treat you wrongly!

As far as optics go, Nightforce is always a top choice because like mentioned, they are literally bombproof. If you are wanting to engage targets out there at 600+ then I would definitely look at something in the 6x magnification range. I doubt you'll be able to hold 1/2 MOA at 800 yds with a 4x scope. I'm a big fan of the Vortex optics. The razor is right up there in my opinion with the Nightforce, and you get more features for the price point. A solid FFP, Zero Stopped, illuminated, mil/mil or moa/moa scope at a better cost. If you wanted something that WORKS at a fraction of the cost... check these out:
http://www.hellscanyonarmory.com/in...-1-5x24-30mm-illuminated-ffp-rifle-scope.html

They have gotten nothing but stellar reviews and was deemed the "Surprise of SHOT 2012" by the SnipersHide.com crew for CQB optics. I have a few in stock and if you don't like it, return it and I'll throw it on my personal rifle. Only thing I like better about Vortex is their reticle choices are more applicable. The mil-Dot reticle for the Nightforce will work nicely though I still prefer the Vortex reticles.

Good luck with your decision man and like I said let me know if I can help!

Mike