Which one...

OP
G

GRAYLIGHT

FNG
Good Info boy's... As far as the 20 in. barrel. I spoke to an Engineer at LaRue this morning, he said I'd loose less than 200 fps with a 14.5 barrel and still remain very effective at 800 yds... Feedback?

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
How much MV you lose is really dependent on the barrel, but 200 is a lot when you get to 800 yards, IMO. I would actually think you would lose a little more than 200 dropping 5.5 inches off the length, but I am definitely not an engineer.

I ran some JBM numbers and the same berger 168 at 2750 vs. 2550 had 8 inches more drop, 9 inches more drift (10mph), and 140 FPS lower impact velocity.

It would be worth the extra barrel length to me, and you wouldn't have to pay the Tax Stamp fee to the Feds either.

Definitely go 16" or longer for barrel length. You really start seeing greater losses with hotter calibers than you do with the .308, but anything less than 16" is considered an SBR (short barreled rifle) and requires a class 3 stamp. I'm not even sure SBR's are legal in California???

If you want to be smacking steel at 800 yds with your rifle, go for the 18 or 20" barrel. It's still not hard to shoot and swing close range for CQB with an 18" barrel. 18" is a good compromise for the long range and CQB stuff in my opinion without losing very much at all in that 308.

Mike

TCREED

FNG
My current favorite bolt gun is my GAP Gladius - 18" barrel and will hold damn close to MOA to 1K.

You will lose some velocity going shorter, but you get a handier package. Just know ahead of time that your W/E adjustments will be greater than you might expect.

OP
G

GRAYLIGHT

FNG
I believe I have made up my mind on a 16" PredatOBR, modified in 7.62... My problem now seems to be wether I want to go with a long range scope solution or something like the DR... That's my issue now... Not sure what to do because I don't believe that there is an all purpose scope solution that I have seen so far that will allow for CQB to 800 yards... You gotta pick one and that sucks lol... I'd bet I would only get 500 yards MAX outta the DR 1-6 MAG...

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I believe I have made up my mind on a 16" PredatOBR, modified in 7.62... My problem now seems to be wether I want to go with a long range scope solution or something like the DR... That's my issue now... Not sure what to do because I don't believe that there is an all purpose scope solution that I have seen so far that will allow for CQB to 800 yards... You gotta pick one and that sucks lol... I'd bet I would only get 500 yards MAX outta the DR 1-6 MAG...

That's an excuse to build two weapons;)

Build a larue 10" suppressed m4 for qcb!

OP
G

GRAYLIGHT

FNG
Mike, IDFG site sucks A$$... site's been down all day, so the suspense continues lol... Congrats on your 18 tags though! That's awesome... I hope you boy's slam a couple gagger bucks!

Thanks man! I guess their site is supposed to be up at 10 AM tomorrow so get there early!

Did you get my text today? Not sure if I had your work number or your cell # in my phone...

Mike

I like 16" mid-length as well. Just don't get a heavy barrel because by the time you add a bunch of crap to it it weighs a ton. Plus, your bayonet will fit whereas a shorttie in 16" won't. :)