Which kuiu fleece

Dustin B.

FNG
I am looking for a mid layer fleece that I could layer under my peloton 240 or wear by itself in temperatures that the 240 would be too warm. I originally bought the 240 to use as a mid layer but I've come to realize that it is more of a softshell than a mid layer fleece. I was considering the peloton 200 and peloton 97 hoodies. I was wondering if anyone could help me decide which hoodie would be best to layer under my 240 or if it would be worth having either being that I have the 240 already.

I have both the 97 and the 200, like them both but use the 97 more like a t-shirt for when the weather's hot. For layering I'd do the 200. I had a 240 zip and didn't care for it, tried to layer it and didn't seem to add anything and wind seemed to cut through it as an outer so I finally just sold it. You seen the new Strongfleece pieces? I don't have the new ones but use the older 210 quite a bit, again more as a thick t-shirt but it works great layered under other things.

OP
D

Dustin B.

FNG
I have both the 97 and the 200, like them both but use the 97 more like a t-shirt for when the weather's hot. For layering I'd do the 200. I had a 240 zip and didn't care for it, tried to layer it and didn't seem to add anything and wind seemed to cut through it as an outer so I finally just sold it. You seen the new Strongfleece pieces? I don't have the new ones but use the older 210 quite a bit, again more as a thick t-shirt but it works great layered under other things.
I thought about trying one of the new strong fleece layers but I thought they might be too warm for what I'm looking for. Did the 97 fit tighter than the 200? I know kuiu has it listed as a base layer but I feel like it would work better for a mid layer.

*zap*

WKR
I think that anyone hiking/packing/moving constantly in colder temps will like the 97 hoodie by itself, jmo. Mine do not fit loose...

Dustin, I do not see where you said what activities you would be using it for?

I thought about trying one of the new strong fleece layers but I thought they might be too warm for what I'm looking for. Did the 97 fit tighter than the 200? I know kuiu has it listed as a base layer but I feel like it would work better for a mid layer.
One definitely fits tighter than the other, but I don't remember which. I'll go try them on here in a bit.

Agree with zap on the hiking, the 97 is great for that. I'm usually wearing a FL merino base and tend to just hike in that then put the others back on when I stop, but that merino can cut a chill real quick if it's windy. 97 would be great for that.

Bump79

WKR
200 is quite a bit more durable. The 97 is so light & breathable it's awesome too. I prefer a little bit more durability so the 200 is great for me. Warm, light enough & dries super quick.

OP
D

Dustin B.

FNG
I think that anyone hiking/packing/moving constantly in colder temps will like the 97 hoodie by itself, jmo. Mine do not fit loose...

Dustin, I do not see where you said what activities you would be using it for?
I plan on using it for active and stationary hunting. I want to wear it as an outer layer while active and layer over it once I'm stationary.

OP
D

Dustin B.

FNG
97 is a bit more snug. I wanted to say it was shorter in the torso also, but I put them back to back and they're not. It was snug enough that the tightness just created that illusion as it rode up a bit higher on my waist.
Thanks! I figured it would probably be more of a snug fit being that kuiu had it titled as a base layer.

*zap*

WKR
I wear just a 97 hoodie walking in to set up for whitetail down into the 20's (depending on wind/rain). Then add on top of it.

ChrisAU

WKR
I don't go on a hunt without a 97. Its the perfect piece over a thin baselayer for actively moving in the cold. Breathes extremely well but won't over-heat you. I typically wear it over a thin merino base in temps down to single digits when hiking to a glassing spot in the mornings when elevation is involved.

I ordered both the 97 and the 200. I kept the 200 and returned the 97.

Neither would come close to fitting under my 240. My 240 is very snug in the arms and would have nothing other than a t-shirt beneath it.

I don't believe any of their fleeces are made to stack with others unless you are intentionally buying different sizes.

Base>Fleece>Puffy>Shell

Bump79

WKR
97 is a bit more snug. I wanted to say it was shorter in the torso also, but I put them back to back and they're not. It was snug enough that the tightness just created that illusion as it rode up a bit higher on my waist.
I had the same experience. My 200 is tight but ok in large for my 5'11' 195# atheletic build. 97 was too small and I'd need a large.

One thing that drive me absolutely nuts about Kuiu is their sizing being all over the place. Then they charge you shipping to exchange. Unacceptable for an online retailer IMHO. SKRE is awesome, Pnuma, Etc.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think they fit the same but they run about a half size smaller than the merino

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
The patagonia R1 air is the best truly breathable fleece mid layer on the market. I just wore one for 5 days straight on a hunt here in AZ. Performance is unmatched when comparing to any of the hunting branded fleeces.