Which Kifaru packs fit my use case?

Movadius

Lil-Rokslider
Most of my trips in the woods will be one of three scenarios:

A: 1-3 Day backpack camping trips (sometimes carrying my camp further each day). Sometimes in winter.

B: One Day/Night hunting trips out of a treestand where I would have to haul meat if I get a kill.

C: Day trips scouting and clearing trails where I would need to carry akward tools like axe, saw, possibly chainsaw etc.

Is there a Kifaru pack that would suit all three use cases, or would I need to have at least two different packs?

I live in Eastern Canada and would be hunting primarily whitetail and black bear. None of the long range stuff that I would need glass or tripods or other equipment for.

I like the look of the hell bender, but I'm wondering if I'd be able to get my down sleeping bag, inflatable sleeping pad, and other camping gear in there without having to use the meat shelf. (except in winter when I would compress my insulation layers in a dry bag on the shelf).

Any recommendations?

I used a Kifaru Highcamp 4800 for a similar set up when I worked for the forest service and did week long backcountry trips for trail work. I was able to carry my personal goods in the pack, then put tools on the outside. With a few pockets attached to the outside I carried what I needed for a day scouting or hunting and had room inside for a pack out if needed. The only issue is that this needs a Kifaru frame.

Now I use a MR CrewCab, which I have modified by having the “wings” professionally taken off. It works really well for my daily trips to the woods, I have hauled sheds, tools and meat in it with no real issue. For backcountry trips I put my camp in a waterproof bag and my hunting essentials in the main bag. Get to camp and pull the waterproof bag out and I am ready to make camp.

This set up may or may not work for you. I have multiple packs, but there are generally for folks who come out to hunt with me.

Good luck finding what works for you, its an adventure!

kowboy

FNG
I have the Hellbender now and really like it. No problem with a KUIU down sleeping bag and pad inside plus other stuff. I also have the medium pocket and Sherman pouch to hold ancillary items. Great pack especially with the expandable 'bane pouch' on the outside

OP
M

Movadius

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Hellbender now and really like it. No problem with a KUIU down sleeping bag and pad inside plus other stuff. I also have the medium pocket and Sherman pouch to hold ancillary items. Great pack especially with the expandable 'bane pouch' on the outside
That's what I was hoping to hear. If I can get my sleeping bag and inflatable pad in there along with a few other items im fine with strapping my tent on the bottom, winter layers in the meat shelf, rain or shell jacket in the stuff pocket on the front ill be pretty happy.

Are the straps on the bottom big enough I could attach a small tent there? Something like 5"x16"

kowboy

FNG
I'd use one of the side pockets to put the tent it and use the side buckles to keep it close and secure. The pack has so many attachment points on it that you could hook a D9 dozer to that thing!..

Kenneth@Kifaru

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
The Hellbender would be a great choice. You can also use the load shelf with a camp bag/dry sack to add more gear for multiple day trips as well. The Stryker XL can be used the same way well, but wont have as much cubic inches in the bag.