Which jet boil?

So, I have been running just a simple stove and stainless mug with a homemade wind screen for years. Thinking about upgrading to jetboil. Thoughts? Which boil? Thanks!

Listen to the Gritty Bowmen and South Cox pod casts. They discuss gear in-depth and is very interesting. Some folks love their jetboils while others had them melt or simply not last the beating of backcountry hunting. From what I hear Jetboil isn't very hunter friendly. The MSR reactor gets very good reviews. I still use a pocket rocket and titanium mug, but was doing some research to see if I should upgrade, so just passing along.

I have the Jet Boil Sol but am on my 2nd pot as I burned up the fins on my first one trying to melt snow and they wouldn't replace it. If I had it to do all over again I would get an MSR Reactor.

If your only boiling water like me a Sol TI is perfect if you can find one. They're getting harder to find being they're discontinued. The way I use mine it's 9oz.

I got the Flash pot only and cut slits in the bottom of it to fit on my existing Snow Peak stove. This has worked very well and I did this so I could still use other pots and pans on my stove if I wanted. I also recently picked up an Pocket Rocket to see if it's any better for boiling as the Snow Peak stove directs it's flame out more than up. I can't turn my stove up very high though as it is much more powerful than the Jetboil one and will shoot out the side and I melted the handle strap off within the fist couple times of using it. It's not really needed though as the neoprene allows you to grab the pot anywhere (assuming you have big enough hands).

Let me start by saying I have never used a Jet Boil. My wife had one for backpacking but gave it up in favor of a Snow Peak. It was too big for her ultra lightness. If you want to boil water fast the MSR reactor is absolutely the fastest at all elevations, regardless of wind! Not sure the weight comparison between Jet Boil and the MSR maybe the MSR is a bit heavier?
I have the small Snow Peak Ti one that works well but needs a windscreen for best operation, not much simmer. Have used a MSR International for many years and still take it depending on what I want to cook/ where I am going.
Have used Espit & alcohol stoves, they all work.
Some are much more efficient/faster/reliable than others , which might matter when conditions are less than ideal and when you're really hungry!

Thanks for the post, Buglebrush. I'm trying to make the exact same decision, so will follow this thread to see the experiences and opinions. The MSR Reactor will definitely get strong consideration.

I can not find anything to complain about the Primus ETA Express. Able to use any pot, mug, or pan. Compacts down just as easy as a jet boil but you are not attached to the gas can. Can loose weight if you dont bring the mesh bag or the plastic bowel. Worth looking at.

If your looking at just Jetboil then their MiniMo is hard to beat as you can regulate the burn temp. Has an igniter which is handy and the pot is actually well thought out. The Flash is also good but I like the MiniMo better because of the pot and flame regulation. Not to thread jack but if somebody has some facts on their hunting stance I'd sure be interested to hear them as I'm sure others would also.

After having several jetboil models as well as some standard pot/mug combos I have found for 2 or more that the Jetboil sumo with the Soto Windpro stove combo is extremely fast and efficient for cooking enough water for 2 even 3 meals at once. Or two meals and two hot drinks. Much nicer to only have to fill and boil once even if the one boil takes a bit longer with more water to heat up only going through the motions once per meal sure is nice.

I've been using the original Jetboil (Flash) for years and love it! I have the pot stand and the java kit also. It's by far one of the best coffee makers and stoves for the back country. The only thing I've noticed is the plastic cup on mine cracked/split. But they sent me another one for free. It uses fuel very minimally. I've never ran the valve wide open and haven't seen a need to do so. That may have been why other people were melting the heat exchanger. Not sure though. But I'll fight you for my Jetboil!

One other thing, if you run out of fuel you can still use the Jetboil pot over some coals.

Thanks everyone! I think I am going to look into a few things mentioned here. Not sure what I will do yet. Appreciate the input!

I have one of the original Flash Jetboils.
Has served me fine for several years now.
That said, if I were replacing it, I'd probably get the small 1.0L MSR Reactor.
Hunt'nFish

I just recently moved from the Jetboil Sol Ti to the MSR Reactor 1L. I'll put it to more use this fall but I like it better in the few times I've used it thus far.

Whilst I have only ever used the first generation JetBoil, if there is any wind the JetBoil will likely either stop "burning" or your boil time and gas usage will be greatly increased.

The Reactor, 1L version being what I currently use, is superb and has yet to let me down. I now use it instead of the XGK, unless I'm travelling to an area that does not have access to gas canisters.

Another vote for the Primus ETA. I have the ETA Spyder version. I also have the Jetboil Flash. I prefer the Primus for a few reasons. It boils very quickly, has the option to convert to liquid fuel, and allows you to use a variety of pots and pans. I've found that it also has better heat control allowing you to simmer. Nice feature when you want to cook up the fresh trout you just caught:D

That ETA Spyder looks like a sweet setup but a bit bulky just for one person. I guess it depends on how you are using it too. As you mention, it can simmer which leads to the assumption that you are doing more than just boiling water for dehydrated meals. As with most gear discussed on this forum, it eventually comes down to how a person uses the gear and what works for them. I'm intrigued by the Spyder setup but only for group adventures or at least two people. But again, it depends on what is being cooked and how much hot water you need at a given time too.

Back