Which headlamp you use.

Princeton tec Vizz now. This is the best I have found now for my needs compared to the Petzl's, etc. I have previously used.
These are completely redesigned from the older Princeton tec's that had easily broken battery compartment lids. In fact, I find this to be better (more sturdy and waterproof seemingly) now than all of my Petzl models. The highest setting will eat the batteries, but it is not needed for general trail travel, since there are other settings...and I like the red LEDs.

That sounds good. I really like my Princeton Tec light but it did break at the battery compartment

OP
M

mauidiver

WKR
Right on Rok Slide!! Really appreciate you narrowing it down for me. I love this site and help yall give...I'm surprised i didn't hear hear one streamlight suggestion. I've been using their flashlights for years and never an issue and great rechargeable batteries. Thinking the head lamp might be a little heavy for everyone. I'm definitely not into the extra battery deal on the back either. Gonna look at Zebralight and Princeton. Pretty big price difference too. Thanks again

muleman

WKR
Black Diamond Storm
Princton Tec Byte*, Sync*, Fuel*, and Fred*
ZebraLight H52Fw, H600w Mk II*
Nitecore HC90*

* Used by me or my kids when hunting/hiking. I always have a Princeton Tec Byte in my emergency kit.

I like ZebraLights, other than two things, availability and lack of red light. Years ago I ran a Streamlight with a green and white lights. I loved the green for hunting use. After that light broke I always used red for hiking in the dark. I picked up a Nitecore HC90 and really like it except for the switch which is easily activated. It has red, green, blue, and white LED. The real advantage for me of the HC90 is that it has a built in 18650 micro USB battery charger. This means that on longer trips I can refresh my 18650 batteries with only a micro USB cord and my solar charger, no seperate 18650 charger needed! If it were not for the switch being easily activated it would be the best head light for my hunting needs.

Petzl for me. The one with the bright orange case and strap. It's been two years now and I haven't lost it yet so it's perfect for me :)

Muleman and others....

The ZebraLight H600w Mk II (uses one 18650 battery) specs show a high (H1) output of over 1,000 lumens unless I'm totally misreading something. Is this really accurate? I've looked at ZL in past years but never bought one. Now I'm curious. Thanks

muleman

WKR
Muleman and others....

The ZebraLight H600w Mk II (uses one 18650 battery) specs show a high (H1) output of over 1,000 lumens unless I'm totally misreading something. Is this really accurate? I've looked at ZL in past years but never bought one. Now I'm curious. Thanks

Yep, they are bright! I don't have a meter to measure the output but they seem comparable to other ~1000 lumen lights I have. the "w" lights have a neutral light output that may not seem as bright a cool white light of equivalent specs.

Browtine

WKR
I have Zebras and Petzls. I've run a Petzl Tactikka XP every single night for the last 7-8 years doing farm chores and it's still going strong other than the headband is starting to show some wear.

dotman

WKR
Muleman and others....

Just say it is bright enough you could spot light and get a 30yard shot with a bow, that was the joke my buddy said this past year when I turned it on in the dark woods. He had some other light and didn't even turn his on as the zebra completely washed his light out anyway.

I have the older version that puts out about 150lm less I think.

I have been using a Petzl Tikka XP 2 for about 5 or so years now. Bombproof and Realiable. The fact that it uses AAA batteries is a huge plus.

Ray

WKR
Vizz now for three years. Works and has more than one function. I don't tend to loose things, but if I loose the Vizz ,its easy to replace.
I also have several cheap Engergizer head lamps stashed in the house, truck, and boat. In Alaska you just can never have enough light at times.

KMT

WKR
Black diamond spot. 4 years, $30, no problems, and all the light that i will ever need to walk out in the dark.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Used a Tikka XP and XP2 for a long time. Started using the Zebra light the last 2 years. They are simple and VERY tough!

lpart

FNG
What is the difference between cool white and the neutral white on the Zebra's and which do you prefer?

muleman

WKR

Richf

FNG
Wow the zebras look awesome. I have been using a Princeton tec 100lm TAC model for a couple years now and love it but these zebras look impressive.