Which game bags? (Brand/size)

Macintosh

WKR
Ive always used the gauze alaskan game bags. Are the lighter game bags like argali, tag, black ovis, etc significantly less bulky or lighter? Any difference in durability or quality between these (or other brands)? Ive found a few threads but not much detail and figured Id ask in case anything new is out there.
Most of my use is deer. I normally get an entire bone-in deer into 2 of the gauze bags, assuming the above mentioned bags are not stretchy, what size and how many do folks use for a deer normally?
Any recommendations and reasons you prefer those are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

DB29

Lil-Rokslider
For deer I use 2 Black Ovis large size and a spare parts bag, 1 front and back quarter per bag. For elk 4 black ovis large size and a spare parts bag.

My set are about 4 seasons old and don’t have any issues.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
I have only 2 suggestions, one positive, one negative. Positive, Black Ovis, I love them. Negative, Allen, they are complete garbage. I think I ripped every one of them the first time I used them on a moose hunt. Of course, this coming from a guy whose half inventory is old pillow cases.

manitou1

WKR
I have been pleased with the Kuiu game bags, but they are pricey like many brands out there.

Blackbird

FNG
Another vote for the black ovis bags. They are on there 4 or 5th season and still going strong

OP
M

Macintosh

WKR
@DB29 @NRA4LIFE @Blackbird looks like they make 2 different weights. Are you guys using the ultralight or the standard “light” black ovis bags? Any thoughts between those, as well as sizing and what you generally use for a deer?

gman82001

WKR
Caribou bags and black ovis bags aren’t lighter by any means but way way better than the Alaskan bags for keeping flies from blowing through onto meat through the stretched out holes in the alaskan bags at least of the old days. I’d like to find a lighter weight bag set but my caribou are in their 7-8th season and have hauled lots of elk and deer in them and just keep working.

Ditt44

Lil-Rokslider
+1 for Black Ovis. Elk bags were great for me and more than capable for multiple seasons.

SDHNTR

WKR
No cheese cloth or expandable bags like Alaskan. They are terrible with bones out meat. They just expand and the loose weave allows flys to easily penetrate and lay eggs.

Black Ovis, Kuiu, Tags, or Caribou Gear synthetic bags.

wapitibob

WKR
Not a fan of Argali, Allen back country are OK, Caribou Gear Wapiti lasted for a decade before I swapped them out for their Magnum set. I vac seal mine into a cpl small pieces.

OP
M

Macintosh

WKR
@wapitibob what dont you prefer about the argali bags? Ive never used (or even seen) meat bags like this so not sure what to look for or avoid.

I have a few from most of the various brands.

Started with TAG BOMB in 2013 and every single bag is still going strong, packing a few animals per year with at least one elk. Only complaint is the small diameter which is intentional to help keep structure to the meat.
TAG are the lightest or thinnest I have found, Argali might come close but I haven’t used them on game yet.

KUIU have been great and I like the size options and medium zip bag. I use the medium (20”x30” ish) for elk bone in hind quarters. They cover all the meat and stop just shy of the hock. I also use these when I debone because the 20” opening is big enough to get the meat into after removing the bone and I don’t have to cut a bunch of the muscle groups apart. Construction techniques and design features are improvements over other traditional rectangle shaped bags.

Caribou are fine, rectangular shape. I find these are a courser material and tend to imprint and stick to meat on me leaving the material grid on the meat surface imprinted. Little heavier material, durability has been good and I also use these for HQ elk bags because they are sold as singles and the small is 20”x30”.

Allen backcountry. Very economical, seem like a caribou knock off, durability has been fine and they work with HQ capable size.

Black Ovis they have some neat features, little heavier material like the Caribou, good size to keep some structure with a decent opening size but can be awful tight for bigger hind quarters. No durability issues and they just work.

Argali I picked up a set and gave most to my friend as a gift but kept a few for myself. Lighter weight bags and excited to try them out. I got an appropriate size for HQs. No on game use yet

Any of these you can set a bag straight on any dirt or sand with meat in it and your meat will remain clean unlike the cheese cloth bags. Bugs cannot get through and they all cook meat well with TAG being the best due to the lightest material in my experience but I don’t think any one of the bags I listed above will make the difference in getting your meat cool. They all do what they should. I’ve had most for awhile with TAG being the longest and most well used.

Black ovis. Have a deer set and a elk set. After use, soak in a 5 gallon bucket with dish soap and warm water. Rinse inside and out. Use hydrogen peroxide on blood stains that are persistent. Mine are 6 or 7 seasons old.

I have 2 TAG bag sets. One is deer sized and the other elk. They have lasted a long time and have been great. Roughly 6 seasons.