Which for the 10x Itch?

Arcticmanak

Lil-Rokslider
I've been happily using Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32's for the last 8+ years and absolutely love them.
I'm getting the itch for a little more magnification and considering adding a 10x unit. I want to stay at the same optical quality as the Zeiss, so seems like a no brainer to get the same bins in 10x. I could and may do that, but just wanted to throw this out for comments and recommendations of other models of at least equal quality and similar (or lesser) price. I do not have many options in local stores to see and handle other models. GPO, Maven, Tract are just a few I hadn't even heard of till recently. Thoughts?

The Zeiss Conquests punch above their weight in the $1000 price point. I’ve scoured numerous reviews for $1K binos and the Conquests are consistently at the top.

I have the Conquests HD 10x42. Great glass, ok eye cups.

ZDR

WKR
Swaro CL 10x30… mini ELs. Although I do have a pair of 10x32 Conquest HD on the way for comparison purposes.
The CLs are really compact, clear and superbly made.

The Zeiss Conquests punch above their weight in the $1000 price point. I’ve scoured numerous reviews for $1K binos and the Conquests are consistently at the top.
Completely agree. Conquests are a serious contender at their price point. But making a recommendation on a specific binocular would be easier if the OP let us know what he would be using the 10x for, does he wear glasses, is size/weight a concern, etc? Maven B Series, Nikon HG, and a number of others are also serious competitors in this price range.

This same question keeps repeating, and folks might often find more comprehensive and better targeted responses in some older threads. It’s a good read that offers a lot of differing perspectives. But remember going in that there is no such thing as a perfect binocular and every optics purchase is a compromise of features to some degree.

OP
Arcticmanak

Arcticmanak

Lil-Rokslider
Good points. Usage will be some open country hunts for Alaska big game. I don't wear glasses. I've felt a little underpowered with 8x looking across some big expanses, glassing river drainages and open country for moose and sheep. I'd like a little more light gathering at twilight, but don't want to end up with a big, bulky set of glass that are uncomfortable or irritating to carry, or that get in the way bowhunting. The 8x32s are just the perfect size to carry, I hope they didn't wreck me. I will certainly be keeping them to use for other situations.
I have a trial set of Maven B.6's in 10x50 on the way. I'm looking forward to trying them out. I appreciate all the good info here and have read quite a few related threads.

Thanks. That makes things a bit clearer. Yes, in big, open country like Alaska I prefer a 10x as well. Surprisingly, as big and open as it can sometimes be, I‘ve often found myself trying to peer deep into varying light and even heavily shadowed areas at considerable distance, so high contrast and resolution are a must. Would also recommend at least a 42mm, and you’ve already mentioned size/weight must not be excessive. Another factor is Alaska (have hunted there a number of times but there are many here with vastly more experience) can be very rough on gear, so a robust build is another factor.

At the ~$1k mark you’ve already identified a few great options. It’s no secret that I’m a huge fan of the Maven B6 10x50 - it is the smallest, lightest, best handling 50mm I’m aware of, and the image is very crisp and full of detail. Good call on the trial set as you can compare for yourself. The Conquest HD Line offers incredible performance & value - IMO the 8x32 you already own is the cherry of that lineup.

thewileyone

Lil-Rokslider
I loved my Zeiss Conquest for several years then they wouldn’t focus. Had issues with their warranty department and after 4 times, I’ll never own another pair.

Leica Trinovid is great and around that price point. Another less known glass is Pentax dcf-Ed. Their or Ed glass is clear. Meopta makes good glass as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Arcticmanak

Arcticmanak

Lil-Rokslider
After comparing the Maven B6 10x50, Kowa Genesis 10.5x44 and GPO Passion HD 10x42 I decided to keep the GPO's.
They are all of excellent optical quality, and honestly, I could hardly tell any difference between them in various conditions and time of day. I really could have been happy with all of them, but the GPO'S felt the best in my hands, have the best eyecups that felt most natural for me, and provide stunningly crisp and clear view that seemed the best for my eyes. Lots of subjectivity when it comes to optics but I am very happy with my decision and think these optics will work great for me.
I sure appreciate all the input I received and questions answered here and in private messages. 👍

Last edited:

TheGDog

WKR
I loved my Zeiss Conquest for several years then they wouldn’t focus. Had issues with their warranty department and after 4 times, I’ll never own another pair.

Leica Trinovid is great and around that price point. Another less known glass is Pentax dcf-Ed. Their or Ed glass is clear. Meopta makes good glass as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hmmph... that's interesting to hear you say that... because I bought my 15 Conquest HD's used.. and then at one point oopsie'd with them (dropped from like 36" to concrete and knocked an eyecup out of colimation) at the house and had to send them in for repair, and it was rather painless to send them in. Other than printing the form and filling it out and shipping it.