Which Fletch Jig to get?

Steeliedrew

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a pile of arrows that need re-fletching and I'd like to start doing it myself. I shoot Easton FMJ's with wraps and 4-fletch Blazers. My question is, what fletch jig is best and what sort of adhesive would I want?

Should I just start buying Blitzenbergers and eventually end up with a few on a lazy susan?

Drew

I have a couple Bitzenbergers that I use. I like them but haven't tried anything else. By the time you get one vane glued, the other one is dry when using quick dry cyanoacrylate types of glue.

I use a few varieties of glue and some work better on different vanes and different arrows whether it was a wrap, alum, or carbon. I use Loctite gel in the blue bottle. Also Goat Tuff but have had issues and not sure it was shelf life or what. Also fantastic luck with the AAE Max Bond when using AAE vanes on wraps. It's a cyanoacrylate ester which I believe is slightly different chemically than some of the other glues I used where I had probs with the vanes popping off easily. Also occasionally use Fletch Tite Platinum but usually with feathers and I don't really like working with it.

Hope that helps.

You may know but it's said that cyanoacrylate adhesives have a short shelf life to begin with. I've read up to a year unopened and maybe only a month after being opened. I have some that still works good well beyond this but something to keep in mind when buying a new bottle or using one you've had sitting around for a while.

I closed my archery shop and there will be an online auction in a week or so. There will be about 9 Blitzenbergers for sale at that time. If you want to wait a little you might get a good deal on a whole bunch. Info will be posted in classifieds when the auction action starts.

I owned a Multi-Fletcher for many years and considered it one of the better and easier jigs to operate. I wouldn't call it a high-end tool however. Eventually I found a decent deal on Bitzenburgers and bought six at once. It was an investment that paid off nicely for me. Bitz jigs are very precise and easy to use after adjusted. I don't use tape or cyanoacrylate glues, preferring a slow-setting adhesive myself...hence the use of six jigs. The good part is knowing I can recover their cost when I'm done with them.

MattB

WKR
For 4 fletch, the answer is easy - Bitz. If you ever decide to go with 3 blazers, the Arizona EZ Fletch is the ticket, super easy to use and it offers a high degree of helical.

japple

FNG
Vane master pro from last chance archery is the best jig out there by far. I have been using Bitz for 20 years and purchased a vane master last winter and it is far superior to the bitz. Bitz is a great jig and has been the mainstay for years, but the vane master beats it in every way.

kodiakfly

WKR
Every archery shop I've worked in, I used Bitzenberger. But I picked up a Jo-Jann several years ago for basically free, so I gave it a shot, and I've been fletching my personal arrows on it since then. I've been very pleased with it. Holds six arrows and by the time I've gone down the row, the first arrow is plenty ready to do the next vane. I can casually do a half dozen arrows in an episode of Archer.

CaseyU

WKR
The Blitzenberger is definitely the best jig on the market but when it comes to archery, I think everyone would agree that consistency is the key!!!. I have been using the Arizona mini fletch for quite a while. when it's a one piece jig that does all the fletchings it's pretty hard to mess up. No matter how many beers it takes you to finish the dozen arrows ;). There is one adjustment you can do internal, I have it marked right where I keep it and have no worries. Year after Year I know it hasn't moved and all those fletchings are going to sit in the exact same spot!

MattB

WKR
The Blitzenberger is definitely the best jig on the market but when it comes to archery, I think everyone would agree that consistency is the key!!!. I have been using the Arizona mini fletch for quite a while. when it's a one piece jig that does all the fletchings it's pretty hard to mess up. No matter how many beers it takes you to finish the dozen arrows ;). There is one adjustment you can do internal, I have it marked right where I keep it and have no worries. Year after Year I know it hasn't moved and all those fletchings are going to sit in the exact same spot!

Buy 2 minis and you won't have time to finish a beer while fletching a dozen arrows. I can get a dozen out in ~15 minutes. Love it!

boom

WKR
I closed my archery shop and there will be an online auction in a week or so. There will be about 9 Blitzenbergers for sale at that time. If you want to wait a little you might get a good deal on a whole bunch. Info will be posted in classifieds when the auction action starts.

i'll keep an eye out for this one.. i know you on an elk forum. :)

and the AZ EZ, cannot do four vanes right? moot point if not.

Brodie

Lil-Rokslider
It can do 4 fletch you have to do them one at a time.
I just started using one for my blazers and it puts an impressive helical one them

OR Archer

WKR
Vane master pro from last chance archery is the best jig out there by far. I have been using Bitz for 20 years and purchased a vane master last winter and it is far superior to the bitz. Bitz is a great jig and has been the mainstay for years, but the vane master beats it in every way.

Very nice looking jig. But the price tag though. OUCH!! lol

I have used the AZ mini for blazers as well as a couple other vanes. Last batch was with the Bohning pro fletch. (the red pllastic one.) I have done feathers, blazers, vanetec 4" and the Bohning Xvanes. Paid $49 at cabelas for it.
They all worked will with that tool, It takes a bit of time to get used to it doing one vane at a time but with CA glues it is still pretty fast. I last fletched up 6 easton x7s with the x-vanes in about an 45 min.

I use the AZ for most all alum arrows with the 1deg offset. I also have the carbon tool in straight and 3 deg helical tool for blazers.

boom

WKR
It can do 4 fletch you have to do them one at a time.
I just started using one for my blazers and it puts an impressive helical one them

was listening to a pod cast. pro shooter shoot 4 vanes. got me thinking. without sitting down and doing a sketch. by the time you need to do the last of four vanes..isnt the vane holders going to get in the way of 2 of the 3 vanes you already installed? gah!! my friend has an EZ..i might want to try this!!

Brodie

Lil-Rokslider
There is a tutorial on their website, you only use one arm and hold it with your fingers.
I use 10s gorilla crazy glue which really keeps the fletch struck on

charvey9

WKR
I have a Jo Jan multi-fletcher, but ready to try something else. It has worked well for me on lots of arrows, but fletching blazers on the Injexion size FMJ's is nothing short of a major pain in the ass. Seems I get about 1/3 on there right.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
SouthEastID