Which E rated tire?

gibby97

FNG
I have Ridge Grapplers right now and they have 43,000 miles on them with decent tread left. I will get another 10 out of them, probably.

I have found with tires a lot depends on the vehicle and how/where it is driven.
Very true, I should've mentioned I spend a lot of time traveling gravel.

Squamch

WKR
01 f350 SRW, usually loaded with tools and/or materials. Mild tune, I'm not a diesel ricer, but I like to reach cruising altitude quickly. My shop access road is pretty sloppy, so good tires are needed, and the bush around here, roads are built with fresh blasted granite, or shale. Sharp rock. Where it isn't rock, it's clay, or floodplain silt.

I've run nitto Terra grapplers, they were awful. Garbage traction in all conditions, and wore fast.
Toyo m55s were good, tough tires, but towards the end of their life it was like a light switch from tires that work great, to tires that sucked.
Currently on hankook dynapro MT. They are wearing about how I'd expect for an MT, traction is fantastic on and off road. They are LOUD though. Doesn't bother me, I've daily driven TSLs before.

Squamch

WKR
Same......with a manual transmission, and I've never gotten more than 45k on a set of tires, and that was with the Michelin LTX's that I just replaced. Currently have the Cooper AT3's that I just got a few months ago.
Mine is also a Mexican transmission. Fact is, it's a heavy truck with decent torque twisting rubber off the tires. If you want bit mileage, you gotta sacrifice offroad traction, and I cannot afford to do that.

JLane330

Lil-Rokslider
GY Duratracs are great on Toyota’s and Jeeps. Lousy wear on anything bigger.
Yep, perfect for small trucks, not so much the HD's.
I’m running Falken Wildpeake AT3 on my 3/4 ton Duramax. Have right at 60k on them and will probably get another 15-20k before needing replacing. The mom and pop tire shop that I got them from said they’ve been pretty impressed by the performance and wear they’ve seen.
Carli Suspension wrote an article about tire pressure and mentioned these tires, and seems to be getting good performance out of them as well. Their standby of the Toyo MT usually.

OP, what kind of terrain are you typically driving? What might work for one may not work for you. If you're mostly highway/payment, Toyo MT's may not be the best choice. On the other hand, lots of mud...Michelin LTX wouldn't be my choice. I've ran the Nitto Terra Grapplers and replaced around 35K miles (I had to go to 18" wheels to fit my brake kit). They still had 5-10K left in them most likely, but were chunked from some of the rocky areas around here...they EAT tires. Been running the Nitto Ridge Grapplers now and so far they're great. Only have about 15K on them, but wear is good. I'm rotating in my spare this time. They perform well in snow and mud too, although not a MT.

GF has Toyo MT's on her Cummins, and Coopers on the Jeep. The Toyo's seem to wear well. The Coopers are noisy, and didn't perform well in some snow a few months back. They have a good reputation, but I wouldn't run those having seen how they've performed the last couple years.

If you need mud at times, but are mostly asphalt, maybe consider a less aggressive tire and use chains when needed?

OP
Fatcamp

Fatcamp

WKR
Yep, perfect for small trucks, not so much the HD's.

Carli Suspension wrote an article about tire pressure and mentioned these tires, and seems to be getting good performance out of them as well. Their standby of the Toyo MT usually.

OP, what kind of terrain are you typically driving? What might work for one may not work for you. If you're mostly highway/payment, Toyo MT's may not be the best choice. On the other hand, lots of mud...Michelin LTX wouldn't be my choice. I've ran the Nitto Terra Grapplers and replaced around 35K miles (I had to go to 18" wheels to fit my brake kit). They still had 5-10K left in them most likely, but were chunked from some of the rocky areas around here...they EAT tires. Been running the Nitto Ridge Grapplers now and so far they're great. Only have about 15K on them, but wear is good. I'm rotating in my spare this time. They perform well in snow and mud too, although not a MT.

GF has Toyo MT's on her Cummins, and Coopers on the Jeep. The Toyo's seem to wear well. The Coopers are noisy, and didn't perform well in some snow a few months back. They have a good reputation, but I wouldn't run those having seen how they've performed the last couple years.

If you need mud at times, but are mostly asphalt, maybe consider a less aggressive tire and use chains when needed?

Primary use will be to pull a fifth wheel and a boat, but the areas we hunt can be rough and have a persistent type of mud and we will take it out there. Never drive into mud if I can help it.

I have chains from my current truck that will fit the new one. For the most part we use the 4runner to hunt but when the weather gets really bad it's nice to have a longer vehicle for highway travel, and the new truck has a rear locker so should get around pretty well.

In the end they all cost about the same. We will rotate 5 tires and honestly won't do more than 5-10k a year.

OP
Fatcamp

Fatcamp

WKR
I'm also considering doing a level kit prior to tires which brings up the whole issue of size. Pretty staunch proponent of using factory sizing, but.......

OP
Fatcamp

Fatcamp

WKR
I have 285/75/17s on my truck. Perfect mix of stance and practicality. I did put 2" springs upfront

Ya, waiting on a bid for Toyo AT II. I think those and a level kit will make me happy.

After two sets of Duratracs on a '17 Duramax, I was about to buy a set of Cooper ST (or whatever the model is), but ended up getting a set of Toyo RTs instead. They are much quieter and are wearing much better than the Duratracs did. Also, it's worth mentioning that the Duratracs only lasted about 25k miles each, and I seldom tow heavy.

nebhunt

WKR
I was very happy with Yokohama X-AT . Several of the guys in our area are using them on 3/4 ton service trucks and they are happy

Sandstrom

WKR
Another vote for the Cooper AT3. I have had several sets on our work trucks. Great life and traction with little road noise.
Ryan

I put Toyo open country AT3s on last year. 285/75/18 on factory wheels. 2017 ram 3500 srw. Went from Maryland to Nevada and back with truck camper on, then out to Colorado empty. Absolutely love everything about them. Quiet and smooth, great offroad and in snow. And made in the USA.

If a lot of snow and ice Toyo AT3
if not Toyo RT.

We usually have a lot of snow and ice around here from about Oct. into May, and I’ve been pretty happy with the RT’s over the last couple years.
Picture of our current conditions as of today.
c97b9e5707fec528eee094b4927b5207.jpg

I haven’t tried the AT3’s though, so maybe I’m missing something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We usually have a lot of snow and ice around here from about Oct. into May, and I’ve been pretty happy with the RT’s over the last couple years.
Picture of our current conditions as of today.
c97b9e5707fec528eee094b4927b5207.jpg

I haven’t tried the AT3’s though, so maybe I’m missing something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AT3 are sipped more/better. I run RT’s on my F250 and love them, but ATIII on suburban stick better on pack and ice IMO.

one of my friends had the middle tread of his RT’s sipped for winter and said it made a huge difference. Im scared to sipe mine, figured I’d let him continue to be the test pilot.

cjdewese

WKR
I would vote for the Wildpeak AT3W. So far for grip and snow I haven't found something I have enjoyed more. I have them on my 2017 4Runner and have had 0 complaints so far.