Which digital scale is accurate?

Gadjet

Lil-Rokslider
I've been doing some reloading and I'm seeing some inconsistencies between my old RCBS magnetic scale and a brand new RCBS digital scale. I'm not putting a lot of trust in the new scale. I'm sure plenty of people are using digital powder scales these days with great accuracy. Anyone have any suggestions on a digital scale that you can trust to be accurate?
Thanks

B23

WKR
Like many other reloaders I have multiple RCBS CM 1500's and I have an older Dillon D-Terminator scale. They do a pretty decent job but my A&D FX120i is the one I rely on to be the most accurate and for me where the FX120i really shines is when I'm loading that tiny flake powder in small amounts for my 17 Hornet. The FX120i will register tiny little increases when you trickle it in but with my other digital scales it takes a lot more before it even registers any increase at all.

Do you leave your digital scale turned on all the time or wait 10-15 minutes for it to warm up after you turn it on? I have all of mine plugged in to surge protectors and leave them turned on 24/7 365 and never turn them off. Before I started leaving them turned on all the time my Dillon and CM 1500's would take 10-15 minutes before they settled down and would stop drifting around on weights. I don't really know if the FX120i needed it or not but as soon as I got it I just left it plugged in and turned on 24/7 like I do with the others.

Rich M

WKR
In my experience, they are all like that. I use mine to set a powder measure device and weigh the charges at least 10-15 times to feel good about it.

OP
Gadjet

Gadjet

Lil-Rokslider
Hmmm. Not sure if I'm sold on these digital scales. Seems to me that the old style may be more accurate.

CBB1

Lil-Rokslider
Wow! $722 dollars for a digital scale is a ton of money. I thought the auto chargers were expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tahoe1305

WKR
Scope these out. A few threads around on them too.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Hmmm. Not sure if I'm sold on these digital scales. Seems to me that the old style may be more accurate.
I “trust” the older scales more. I have an M5 I got and a 110. They are both good down to about .05gr of fidelity. And I can dial that easily but it takes time.

The digital scales will read closer to .01gr accuracy and it’s quick. The issue is they drift a bit sometimes. Good news is it’s easy to see and normally just need to re-zero.

I’m still building confidence in my digital by checking every 5 or so on a beam. It’s still faster than all beam and I feel more consistent.

I have an RCBS ChargeMaster Link and a Frankford Arsenal Platinum series scale. Checking charge weights against each other on them has always given the same weight. I’ve never checked against a beam scale. But I feel if two different manufacturer scales are giving the same weight reading then they are likely accurate.

sdupontjr

WKR
I have a simple Gemini 20 from AWS that reads to .00 grains. I'm not a bulk loader and enjoy the process so I still use my Tuned Ohaus Beam scale, why, because gravity is undefeated. I have poured the charge from my beam scale to this little digital scale all the time and every time I do, the charge is damn near dead nuts!! 71g H-1000 is either 70.98 or 71.01 on the Gemini 20. My beam scale is also 1 kernel of Varget sensitive and the Gemini 20 picks that up as well. You don't need a $700 scale system to load good accurate consistent ammo.

bradb

WKR
Fx for me also. If mine would somehow die today i would find the money and order another instantly

AkRyan

WKR
I own a cannabis company and I have used my fare share of scales. I can tell you that when I get my 3k$ scale certified I also have them check my cheap $40 scales I use to weigh nutrients and they are always good to go. I think with reloading the biggest issue is static and grains of powder getting under the tray or plate. Just my thoughts.

OMF

Lil-Rokslider
With reloading scales I like to consider precision vs accuracy. It's important that if the scale says it will measure 1gm down to ".xyz", that it does. I like to use check-weights to verify that. To me, if it's accurate that's good, but then it must also be consistent or repeatable - the precision part. And that's the area where I've seen some problems with digital scales. It's great when a scale measures down to .01 vs .05 of a grain (accuracy). But if it doesn't do it consistently (precision) it's value is questionable. Electronic scales have come a long way in both areas. I agree with someone's comment "buy once cry once". The under $100 digital scales I have used were either not accurate down to what the manufacturer claimed, or it wasn't consistent (precise). Most of the times, both.

It will be interesting to see more reviews of the Creedmore Sports scale.