22k hornet

eyeguy

Lil-Rokslider
I have a new to me 22k hornet and the gun shoots well with h110 and 35 gr vmax. I have some lil gun on the way so think I have full powered loads covered. Looking for advice on some reduced loads so I can use my 22mag rated suppressor for some light plinking loads. My research so far says imr 4198 and accurate 5744 are safe to load down a bit can get them down to about 200 fps. trail boss probably would work too but does not meter well. A faster type powder that the pressure curve is down by the time the bullet clears the barrel would be ideal. Blue dot seemed like a good choice to me but saw a few posts from a guy who said he tried it and it was very erratic in the hornet. Any suggestions?
Some old reloading manuals show really slow powders like 4831 for like 1700 fps but my thought or concenr would be the pressure would still be up with that slow of a powder?

OP
E

eyeguy

Lil-Rokslider
After looking some more online it looks like unique in that 4.0 gr range should get me what I am looking for. 1750 fps range. I found a small lee dipper that along with my scale and a bit of trickling in powder isnt to time consuming. Was hoping for a powder i could just throw out of my rcbs but not sure on these tiny charges that is a good idea anyway. Unless you guys think the pressure curve would be low with those slow burning powders like 4350 and 4831 that are listed in my older reloading manual? If the pressures are low as the velocity would suggest then the worst that could happen is I would have a bit of inconsistent velocity

OP
E

eyeguy

Lil-Rokslider
As an update i tried 2 blue dot loads with the 34 gr nosler hp at 3.7 and 4.5 gr. Both shot well very near .5 inches at 50 yrds. Report was mild and i did not get velocity reading this trip out. Tried some reduced loads with 5744 but much louder as would make sense. Slower and more powder. Accuracy was poor with that load but did get it down to 1800 fps. Unique loads shot very well also just under .5 inches at 50 with 4 gr.

Sadie

FNG
My experience with Lil gun in the k hornet was pressure spikes and poor accuracy.