Which coyote round

bullmtn

FNG
5.56, with a 55gr expanding bullet, unless your more comfortable with the 6.8 or Grendel, familiarity beats trajectory 90% on coyotes.

Northpark

WKR
5.56/.223 has always worked well for me driving a 40gr vMax when I was pelt hunting. Other entertaining options include a .300 Winchester magnum or 12ga scatter gun.

I've used all those and several more calibers. I liked the 110 Vmax out of the 6.8 or Sierra 85s for the 6.5. I've always favored the 6.8 though. You can tell it hits harder.
If using a 5.56/.223 I stick with a 55-60 gr Ballistic tip. If shooting Vmax I'll use 60gr. The 55s tend to splash. I've had more than a few run off to never be found. I know shot placement is king but coyotes don't always cooperate. I have some Sierra 62 SBT I want to load and try along with some 69 TMK's.

Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using Tapatalk

TheGDog

WKR
Hornady makes a .223 w/ a 35gr NTX lead-free projectile that's 4000fps at the muzzle!

Made a shot on one I called-in at about 15yds I'd say?

Bit at wound while doing a twirlie, then leaped over 2.5ft branches of the deadfall burnt log behind it.. ran 10yds, busted thru a tall bush, hooked a left and then only made it... maybe...20-25yds? Before piling up.

Definitely give that .223 NTX 35gr a try!

Uhhh, that’s pretty poor bullet performance from a shot that was almost point blank. It probably splashed on impact causing more trauma than organ damage. I’d be looking for a different bullet with a little more ass and less gas.

TheGDog

WKR
Uhhh, that’s pretty poor bullet performance from a shot that was almost point blank. It probably splashed on impact causing more trauma than organ damage. I’d be looking for a different bullet with a little more ass and less gas.
If you were replying to my post, the shot exited out the other side as well. No problems there.

I've shot a lot with 223 and 55gr vmaxs. Most drop, but i've had several runners with good hits. The 60gr vmax seemed to do better. I switched my thermal over to my 22-250 for this season and out of a dozen or so so far they've all dropped right there, except one longer shot made it about 10 yards. I do have a bunch of 95gr vmaxs loaded up for my grendel for once my 30 cal can gets approved.

Samson7x

WKR
I ordered up a 22-250 for this purpose.

Any suggestions on bullet selection to minimize fur damage? Was looking at the 50gr vmax superformance loads but haven't bought anything yet.

TheGDog

WKR
I'd be curious to see what the difference is realworld in terms of drop vs run comparing the .22-250 kills, against the .223 Rem w/ that 35gr NTX @4000fps.

Cause I shot this last yote at maybe 15yds from me.. double lung w/ a TON of blood.. and he STILL jumped and did a twirlie biting at the wound, then jumped over the 2.5ft high sticking up branches on a downed log.. sprinted 10yds to a tallish bush.. crashed thru it... hooked a left.. and still managed to go another 25-30yds.

So I like the sound/idea of immediate drops. Is there particular regions on the animal you try to aim for to make drops vs running away? Is standard lung vitals shot not the best way to go in that regard?

Others have said it well - bullet selection is key. If you use a rapid expansion bullet, just about any cartridge will make a mess. If you use a controlled expansion bullet, and avoid major bone hits, most holes will be very reasonable to patch. Since you don't care about pelts, shoot whatever you have. Out of your listed options, 223 makes the most sense economically.
This! Especially the last sentence

I'd be curious to see what the difference is realworld in terms of drop vs run comparing the .22-250 kills, against the .223 Rem w/ that 35gr NTX @4000fps.

Cause I shot this last yote at maybe 15yds from me.. double lung w/ a TON of blood.. and he STILL jumped and did a twirlie biting at the wound, then jumped over the 2.5ft high sticking up branches on a downed log.. sprinted 10yds to a tallish bush.. crashed thru it... hooked a left.. and still managed to go another 25-30yds.

So I like the sound/idea of immediate drops. Is there particular regions on the animal you try to aim for to make drops vs running away? Is standard lung vitals shot not the best way to go in that regard?
Have you tried shooting them in the neck? Works really well on deer