Which cartridge tikka .308 action

magtech

WKR
I acquired a tikka ctr in 308 a while back. It was used and looked like it could use a new home. I already have a CTR in 6.5 so i was thinking about just barreling this one in 6.5 as well, then i'll have a gun for the wife or anyone who wanted to shoot. It would save me from buying new components.

Then I got to thinking..... So now im torn.
Should I buy something new and have the fun of reloading for it?

I have 300 wm, 270, 6.5, and 223, but I was looking at something like a 6.8 western/270wsm for long range flat shooting. Then someone said im not a real shooter unless I have a 6mm manbun. I could just throw the old 308 barrel on it that it came with and run 308 (new cartridge to me) but that feels like a cheapened version of the 6.5 I already have.

Maybe i'll just get a different barrel a year and make this my switch setup. I do not know

So, tell me how to spend my money. :ROFLMAO:

wesfromky

WKR
I acquired a tikka ctr in 308 a while back. It was used and looked like it could use a new home. I already have a CTR in 6.5 so i was thinking about just barreling this one in 6.5 as well, then i'll have a gun for the wife or anyone who wanted to shoot. It would save me from buying new components.

Then I got to thinking..... So now im torn.
Should I buy something new and have the fun of reloading for it?

I have 300 wm, 270, 6.5, and 223, but I was looking at something like a 6.8 western/270wsm for long range flat shooting. Then someone said im not a real shooter unless I have a 6mm manbun. I could just throw the old 308 barrel on it that it came with and run 308 (new cartridge to me) but that feels like a cheapened version of the 6.5 I already have.

Maybe i'll just get a different barrel a year and make this my switch setup. I do not know

So, tell me how to spend my money. :ROFLMAO:
I just bought a 6.5cm ctr with the plan to maybe turn it into a 6cm sometime next year.

OP
M

magtech

WKR
I just bought a 6.5cm ctr with the plan to maybe turn it into a 6cm sometime next year.
I'm looking at all the data and 22 cm vs 6cm are pretty close longer range. I'm thinking 22cm is more for a yote gun where you are caliber restricted.

They seem to have similar recoil, similar 1k yard drop, but 22cm has more speed=less barrel life, less support component wise, etc, etc.

Although i like your choice, i'm still wondering why choose any of these over just staying with a 6.5 prefit. I have the 6.5 components, i guess i just need some actionable information why something is better.

I'm looking at all the data and 22 cm vs 6cm are pretty close longer range. I'm thinking 22cm is more for a yote gun where you are caliber restricted.

They seem to have similar recoil, similar 1k yard drop, but 22cm has more speed=less barrel life, less support component wise, etc, etc.

Although i like your choice, i'm still wondering why choose any of these over just staying with a 6.5 prefit. I have the 6.5 components, i guess i just need some actionable information why something is better.

6CM is desirable in 2 ways vs 6.5 CM - Lower recoil and higher velocity. The velocity in particular achievable from an 18" suppressed setup, is attractive. 22 Creedmoor is just another progression from the 6 with the same tradeoffs extended further.

wesfromky

WKR

My thoughts of why 6cm vs 6.5cm is mostly more speed with a bit shorter barrel. I have suppressors, so being able to shoot monos with enough velocity to expand at reasonable distances out of a 16 or 18 inch barrel is a good thing. Along with somewhat less recoil as a bonus.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Depends what tickles your fancy in terms of reloading tinkering, ballistics, etc. I have a couple standard bolt face tikkas on deck, when the 243win gets shot out I want to switch it to a 6creed at the moment. The other down the line I feel like it wants to be necked down 284 variant (6, 25, 6.5).

I can't readily hunt with 22cal so outside a 223 for target work stuff like the 22creed doesn't catch my interest.

bpeay4

Lil-Rokslider
also considering changing my .308 tikka into a different caliber. I personally have never done something like this.

say I want to change my .308 to 6.5cm or some other caliber with the same bolt face...What else do i have to do other than getting a new prefit barrel for it.

OP
M

magtech

WKR
also considering changing my .308 tikka into a different caliber. I personally have never done something like this.

say I want to change my .308 to 6.5cm or some other caliber with the same bolt face...What else do i have to do other than getting a new prefit barrel for it.
Pull off older barrel and screw on new barrel (prefit). Get go/no-go chamber gauges to verify that the chamber is correct and shoot it.

There's a few more things to it, like assembly, but that's the basics of swapping in a new barrel with the same bolt face.

Im starting to wonder if a new barrel/cartridge a year is more along the lines of what id do... Then again, I could use a 223 bolt face gun and play with that too.

OP
M

magtech

WKR
My thoughts of why 6cm vs 6.5cm is mostly more speed with a bit shorter barrel. I have suppressors, so being able to shoot monos with enough velocity to expand at reasonable distances out of a 16 or 18 inch barrel is a good thing. Along with somewhat less recoil as a bonus.
I took some anecdotal evidence offline for what people were getting in fps from a 26" barrel. People said they could get 3200 fps from an 88eldm in 22cm. I also saw people saying they could get 3200fps from a 6mm with the 108 eldm.

If i put this information into my Ballistics calc, using sea level i get:
22CM 88 eldm hit 1800 FPS at 870 yards/ Info at 1000: -238.5" drop 1635.2FPS 522.5Ftlb
6cm 108 eldm hit 1800 FPS at 865 yards/ Info at 1000: -240.4" drop 1616.2FPS 626.3Ftlb

What are we shooting at between 865-870 yards where one will make the difference over the other?

What did i get wrong?

wesfromky

WKR
I took some anecdotal evidence offline for what people were getting in fps from a 26" barrel. People said they could get 3200 fps from an 88eldm in 22cm. I also saw people saying they could get 3200fps from a 6mm with the 108 eldm.

If i put this information into my Ballistics calc, using sea level i get:
22CM 88 eldm hit 1800 FPS at 870 yards/ Info at 1000: -238.5" drop 1635.2FPS 522.5Ftlb
6cm 108 eldm hit 1800 FPS at 865 yards/ Info at 1000: -240.4" drop 1616.2FPS 626.3Ftlb

What are we shooting at between 865-870 yards where one will make the difference over the other?

What did i get wrong?
22cm isn't really on my radar. I have a 556 already, and if I get something new, want it to be legal in more states.

For the 6cm vs 6.5cm, monos need 2000+ and the BC isn't as good, so they drop below that 2k much quicker, esp from a 16" barrel. From what I remember looking at the barns charts, 6cm lrx give an extra 200-300 fps vs the 127 6.5cm lrx. With guesstimating speed on a 16", the difference is 400 yards vs 300 for the 6.5. But, this is all "ballistic masturbation" on paper, the real world might not be as big a difference and the odds of me shooting past 300 are kinda small anyway.