Which camera to get?

I need a new camera cause mine broke. I digiscope a lot, and have came to the conclusion that video is way easier to get to look good through the spotter when you are a long ways from your subject.

So with that said all the talk on here about the new little mirror less dslr cameras has me interested in those, instead of a point and shoot since they will take hd video.

What do you guys suggest?

Should I go with a semi pro camera, or just stick with a point and shoot?

Thanks Branden

My Harem

FNG
I have the same question and in the same boat - old camera died a good death
Dirty tough - not looking to hijack this tread but you beat me by an hour and i believe we are looking for the same answer.
I am new to Digiscoping and have read every post in this section. I have a Zeiss diascope 65. I will be setting this (new) camera up on the same set up as Bitterroot Bulls recomended. This camera will be for my outdoor adventures. I am looking for a good camera - but I am not a total camera junkie. It must be able to do great video as well as pictures and must be able to digiscope without being dificult.just got back from the mall and looked at 3 different models.

1. New 2012 Sony RX100. - $650 - semi pro?
2. Canon Power Shot S100 - $400 - semi pro?
3. Sony wx50 -$200 - really good point & shoot?

I really like the sony for a panoramic pics.Canon does not have this feature. Bitterroot you sold me on that pic of the billy

Couple of questions - the RX100 is 20 mega pixels but you have the ability to switch it to lower mega pixels.
1. will this work or will there be distortion
2. this is a just released camera (in Canada)- does anyone have it and have they tried digiscoping with it.
3. it looks to have the items required to digiscope - any opinions as this is a lot of $$$ and probably more camera than i need
4. will the new larger sensor card in this model make it that much better than the WX50 for digiscoping, video,pictures?

I really like the Canon and it is about the $$ range i expected to spend but no panoramic pics.
The Sony WX50 looks like it will do the trick but at the price point is it old tecknowlogy??
Quality you only pay for once!!!!

Thanks for the help

My Harem

FNG
Bitterroot and other experienced digiscopers/camera buffs - eagerly waiting your opinion on this. I value your opinion as you know a heck of alot more about this than me.

I can not speak to digiscoping, but I can tell you that the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 (with Leica Lens) $450 is widely regarded as the best point and shoot camera on the market. You can do your research, and you will find professionals will carry this camera and often compare it to a DLSR.

BTW, do not get caught up in the Megapixel hype. You can spend 5 minutes with a professional and they will tell you that smaller point and shoot really suffer when you get above 10 mega pixel. Anything from 5 to 10 mega pixel is perfect.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry guys, I missed this thread.

I am experimenting with the Nikon J1 right now. Handheld digiscoping results are impressive, and with the lens of the 10-30 zoom vignetting is eliminated from 18-30mm. However, with the tines up adapter threaded to the filter threads, the lens is too far away from the eye relief of the eyepiece. The result is vignetting unless the eyepiece is at 20x and the lens is at 30mm.

So now I am breaking out the epoxy and I am going to try to epoxy 58mm threads to the body housing of the lens, and use spacers to get the lens close to the eyepiece. I iwill be photographing my progress on this experiment for Rokslide.

I had a PM about the Canon ELPH HS 100, and really like the specs for digiscoping, and it is a really small, affordable camera too, but I haven't actually tried it for digiscoping.

the WX-50 should work well, but it has a lot of megapixels for a compact sensor, and a downgraded lens from the WX-1.

The Panasonic FH-1 is also recommended for digiscoping. I have seen some impressive online results with that camera.

Juan_ID

WKR
Classified Approved
I just got my ELPH 100 HS and think its gonna work great for digiscoping. I hope I'll have some pics to post next weekend...

Hardstalk

WKR
Bringing this thread back. Hows the j1 coming bitterroot? If you were to upgrade today would you go with the same model and lenses? And how does everyone else like their cameras is there something else i should consider under the 1000 dollar price range for great video at home images and digiscoping?

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Bringing this thread back. Hows the j1 coming bitterroot? If you were to upgrade today would you go with the same model and lenses? And how does everyone else like their cameras is there something else i should consider under the 1000 dollar price range for great video at home images and digiscoping?

hardstalk,

The camera is doing great! The video is broadcast quality. That big sensor really does a number with it. I am never done looking for cameras, however, the Sony RX100 looks like a great choice too. While it doesn't allow for switching lenses, sometimes that is a good thing in the field. It has the same size sensor as the J1, a bright lens, and a good focal range for digiscoping.

swat8888

WKR
Any of these cameras you guys are talking about water/shock/dust proof? I want something to digiscope with that I don't have to worry about babying all the time...probably at the expense of some quality.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Any of these cameras you guys are talking about water/shock/dust proof? I want something to digiscope with that I don't have to worry about babying all the time...probably at the expense of some quality.

I have had the J1 in some rough weather, and it is doing pretty well. The really water, dust, shock proof ones, don't typically have a really digiscoping friendly lens. Compacts like the Canon ELPHs and Sony WX series are pretty durable. My WX-1 has survived three hard seasons.

slim9300

WKR
I have both the Pentax WG-2 and FujiFilm Finepix XP100. They are both waterproof, shockproof, coldproof and crushproof PAS digital cameras. They both take HD video and very good pics. I wouldn't go back to a conventional PAS camera after owning both of these. If I was more of a photographer I would probably own a dslr. For the kind of hunting that I do, it's impossible to justify the weight and size.

Hardstalk

WKR
Ended up pulling the trigger on the rx100. Never even owned a digicam. Did alot of research (as always) and found this to be what i am looking for. Going scouting with a buddy close to home tomorrow. Plan to fill the memory card asap!! And see what this compact really has.