Which Caliber Ridgeline FFT??

BigThig09

FNG
Hi everyone,

Long time lurker, seldom poster. I have a unique opportunity and wanted the opinions of the hive here. I have the opportunity to get an essentially free Christensen Ridgeline through my second job at a local gun store. I may have to pay a slight difference in price for the FFT versus the regular Ridgeline, which I have more than likely already decided upon doing and don't mind doing so whatsoever. My only hang up are the calibers available through the distributors I will be able to select the rifle from. I had already decided on just going with the FFT in .308 with a 20" barrel because that's what it says on Christensen's website, but after some discussion with reps from both distributors and a Christensen rep, the .308 is a 16" barrel. I am getting this gun for future hopes of western hunting up to and including elk 500 yards and in. I figure this is the best opportunity at having a lightweight and accurate rifle that could cover a wide range.

Here are the calibers available for me to choose from and barrel lengths:

7mm PRC, 22" barrel
300 PRC, 22" barrel
6.5 PRC, 18" and 20" barrel
300 win mag, 22" barrel
.308, 16" barrel

So which one would y'all choose and why??

Thanks!

MThuntr

WKR
7PRC...The 7PRC will cover 100% of hunting situations though it's on a long action if that's a dealbreaker for you. Recoil won't be horrible especially since it's has a brake. You could toss on a light suppressor and it won't be too long of a setup.

300WinMag is a close second because of component availability.

Even though I have a 6.5PRC on order, I don't think it's different enough from a 6.5CM. This weekend I loaded some rounds using Stabal6.5 and was able to close the distance between the two to around 100fps (without pressure issues) using a 140gr bullet using 20grs less powder and cheaper brass. Of course if you go for heavier bullets then the 6.5 PRC have a significant advantage.

Crawl79

FNG
I have the 6.5 PRC in an FFT Mesa that shots .5 MOA but due to the fact that you want to eventually use it for ELK I would choose the 7 PRC or the 300 win mag. Just look at bullet availability and decide what suits you best.

That being said I believe all are great options and all will kill an ELK!

rootacres

WKR
1st - 7 PRC
2nd - 300 PRC

Not sure your recoil sensitivity but these would be my picks. I built out a 7 SAUM a few years ago to be my elk hunting rig out to 600 yds. It has performed flawlessly for me on deer and elk. The 7 PRC has a ballistic advantage over the 7 SAUM at the expense of more recoil. Still mild, but more. I recently won a Griffin and Howe full custom rifle package. I am having that rifle chambered in 300 PRC. The way I see it, this will be compliment to my SAUM and will be there if I decide to use it on elk size game and larger.

OP
B

BigThig09

FNG
7PRC...The 7PRC will cover 100% of hunting situations though it's on a long action if that's a dealbreaker for you. Recoil won't be horrible especially since it's has a brake. You could toss on a light suppressor and it won't be too long of a setup.

300WinMag is a close second because of component availability.

Even though I have a 6.5PRC on order, I don't think it's different enough from a 6.5CM. This weekend I loaded some rounds using Stabal6.5 and was able to close the distance between the two to around 100fps (without pressure issues) using a 140gr bullet using 20grs less powder and cheaper brass. Of course if you go for heavier bullets then the 6.5 PRC have a significant advantage.
Thanks for the response! I am leaning 7 PRC at the moment for the reasons you said. My only hesitation is factory ammo availability at the moment. Even working for a gun store, factory ammo is hard to find. Plenty available in 300 mag and 6.5 PRC however. Thanks again!

MThuntr

WKR
Thanks for the response! I am leaning 7 PRC at the moment for the reasons you said. My only hesitation is factory ammo availability at the moment. Even working for a gun store, factory ammo is hard to find. Plenty available in 300 mag and 6.5 PRC however. Thanks again!
That's the tough one especially if you're not a reloader. It's a small offering right now. It's definitely something I'd reload or try to link up with a buddy that has all the gear and load 100 at a time.

OP
B

BigThig09

FNG
I have the 6.5 PRC in an FFT Mesa that shots .5 MOA but due to the fact that you want to eventually use it for ELK I would choose the 7 PRC or the 300 win mag. Just look at bullet availability and decide what suits you best.

That being said I believe all are great options and all will kill an ELK!
Makes sense, with ammo availability being the only real downfall to 7 PRC but hopefully that will change. Thanks!

sylvest

FNG
Get the 7PRC. That 308 barrel is too short for long shots out west. Depending on where you live I can sell you some 7PRC ammo

Lou270

Lil-Rokslider
I would go 6.5 prc. I have done light 7/300 mags and dont like them. That is me though. If I wanted something bigger than 6.5 prc on your list I would go 300 Win. if I wanted to stretch to suoer long ranges (beyond 500-600) would poasibly do a 300 prc but otherwise regular 300 Win

Lou

SwiftShot

WKR
The 7 PRC is a nice cartridge. Think of it as a 7 Rem Mag set up for heavy bullets. That being said I find myself going with shorter and shorter barrels as I run a can on everything. A 18 or 20 inch 6.5 PRC would be really nice can or not.

WoodBow

WKR
6.5 prc is a phenomenal round. Thats what my ridgeline is. I may never own another bolt gun. I have taken pigs, oryx, and nilgai. I shot a 308 forever. When i went shopping for a new round i just looked at ballistics chart and compared everything against the 308, which i knew what to expect from. 6.5 prc was a clear winner for me. More energy out further, even with a lighter bullet.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

jreyna

FNG
What a great situation...getting a nearly free gun! I hope whatever you select you enjoy!

I live out west and run a 20" .308 Christensen Ridgeline. I haven't taken anything larger that cow elk and stay within 400 yards.

If I'm in your shoes, I'd lean toward that 7 PRC. Ik there are concerns about availability, but I'm starting to see more inventory crop up. My second would be the 300 PRC. I have zero experience with either, but I do a lot of lurking and researching as well and when it's time to go magnum I'll be looking at those two.

It sounds like it's not an option, but I've thought those Christensen Ridgeline FFT 20" 300wsm rifles sure look handy, but again it'd come down to ammo.

gelton

WKR
This thread piqued my interest enough to have another look at Christensen and in trying to find out what size mag box or bottom metal they used I had a look at their owner's manual and it says that using hand loads or reloaded ammo would void their warranty.

I am guessing that with a statement like that in the owner's manual then there is no chance that it would be oversized like what Seekins offers which for me is a deal killer.

K1jerry

FNG
I believe that CA includes the muzzle break in its barrel length. So I'd look at one of the two 300's or the 7mm. Frontal diameter is pretty important. The 300 win have the best selection and pricing of ammo. The 7mm ammo is ridiculousness at this time and your pretty much stuck with Hornady. That's going to be a super light rifle though. The break will help but your going to feel it. So, Id go with the 7mm and hopefully ammo will drop and the selection will increase.

I believe that CA includes the muzzle break in its barrel length. So I'd look at one of the two 300's or the 7mm. Frontal diameter is pretty important. The 300 win have the best selection and pricing of ammo. The 7mm ammo is ridiculousness at this time and your pretty much stuck with Hornady. That's going to be a super light rifle though. The break will help but your going to feel it. So, Id go with the 7mm and hopefully ammo will drop and the selection will increase.
Ammo has already been dropping by me and becoming more available.

$48-$53 bucks a box... local store had 15 boxes on the shelf the other day.

Idamuley

FNG
I personally would go with the 6.5 PRC. The Ridgeline FFT comes in at 5.3 lbs so it’s a fairly light weight gun. The recoil of the 6.5 PRC will allow for the best shooting and it has plenty of energy for elk to 500 yards. I have killed my last two elk with my 6.5 PRC both were killed with one shot each. If your wanting a little more knock down I would go with the 7 PRC there’s starting to be more and more ammo and if you reload you just need some brass to get you started.