Which Binos???

Snipershirt

Lil-Rokslider
Looking at upgrading my binos for next season...I know for most, hunting season is just getting underway however I only have one hunt left for this year and then the darkness will be here. I've been using the same set of leupold cascades since 2003 and they've done a great job and are still in good shape considering the adventures they've been on. Most of my hunting involves packing in a few miles so weight is somewhat of an issue. Looking at leaving the spotter at home more and relying mainly on my binos. My budget cap is $1200 however I'm all about spending less. Recommendations please?

Thanks!

$

blb078

WKR
Razor HD 12x50 would prob work for you if you don't want to use a spotter, might need a tripod for them. They're right around your budget I believe. Can also look at Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42, can get them for just under a grand I think. I've looked through both of them in 8x and went w/the Zeiss, love them.

boom

WKR
my 10x50's feel big and heavy at times.

i'd go 10x42 on the next go around. for $1200, i get Razor 10x42..or used Swarvos..i see them for sale all the time.

Daniel_M

WKR
A few weeks back I had a chance to glass with Lukes' Vortex 10x50's in the field and compare against my Swaro 10x42 SLC HD's. To say the least I was very, very impressed with the quality, clarity and low light gathering ability. Luke was picking out game in the hills that the rest of us had to really eyeball.

If my memory servers they were the Viper 10x50's.

For most hunting applications here in Alaska, a good set of bino's will serve well without the need for a spotting scope unless your going after sheep and counting rings. Or if your moose hunting requires definitive judging from a long distance. Other than that, I'd dump the coin into a quality set of bino's and welcome the addition of a spotter later. That's the route I'm in and will spend the next several months reading and getting more scope time before deciding.

Last edited:

Backstrap

Lil-Rokslider
Bausch & Lomb and now Bushnell under license plus Nikon make a small straight tube spotter in 15-45x with a 60mm objective that is very lightweight and easy to pack. Midway Shooter's Supply has the only online review (that I could find) of the Bushnell version. One these plus a set of Vortex Vipers makes a great combo that is lightweight and economical.

Zeiss Conquest or Vortex Razor in 10x42 is the best in your price range.
Eagle Optics has next day free delivery on both.

OP
Snipershirt

Snipershirt

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the info....looking hard at the vortex razors or viper hds in 10x50. I'll have to make a run to sportsmans warehouse and get some hands on with both to make my decision.

I have vortex viper HD's and Swarovski EL ranges, both in 10x42. While the swaros definitely top the vipers in low light, the difference in performance is far less than one may expect given the huge price difference. Bottom line, viper HD's are top for value, can't imagine better bang for your buck!

luke moffat

Super Moderator
A few weeks back I had a chance to glass with Lukes' Vortex 10x50's in the field and compare against my Swaro 10x42 SLC HD's. To say the least I was very, very impressed with the quality, clarity and low light gathering ability. Luke was picking out game in the hills that the rest of us had to really eyeball.

If my memory servers they were the Viper 10x50's.

For most hunting applications here in Alaska, a good set of bino's will serve well without the need for a spotting scope unless your going after sheep and counting rings. Or if your moose hunting requires definitive judging from a long distance. Other than that, I'd dump the coin into a quality set of bino's and welcome the addition of a spotter later. That's the route I'm in and will spend the next several months reading and getting more scope time before deciding.

Nope they were 12X50s Razor HDs...very impressed with them given they weigh as much as the 10X42 Swaro ELs I had. That said a spotter is an essential tool when glassing for me regardless of what I'm hunting usually, but espeically moose sheep with antler/horn configuration decides legality.

Daniel_M

WKR
Nope they were 12X50s Razor HDs...very impressed with them given they weigh as much as the 10X42 Swaro ELs I had. That said a spotter is an essential tool when glassing for me regardless of what I'm hunting usually, but espeically moose sheep with antler/horn configuration decides legality.

Roger that, thanks for clarifying. Awesome glass at damn near half the price for a pair of Swaros.

Moe.JKU

FNG
If you looking to spend less what about Ziess Terra ed 10x42. But if you want to spend closer to that then meopta meostar 10x42 or kowa genesis 10.5x44. If your going to go new. Thought i would through some different ones out that i have used.

I have been using my 12x50 Razor HD's since early July and they are freakin awesome... 28.7 oz for a 12X bino? You bet... definitely usable without a tripod, I've only had them on my tripod once and while they were very nice they weren't required. I doubt I'll go back to a 10X binos ever. May look at getting an 8X for sometime in the future but for the kind of country I hunt I don't see myself needing them.

Mike

ams

WKR
There's some pretty killer deals on brunton icons on ebay going for about 700. 11x44 and 8x43's. Comes with quite a bit or extras like included tripod adapter and retal is some where around 2200 I think. Made in usa and no question no fault life time warranty. I have the icon spotter and the glass is top notch. I called brunton looking for a scope cover to fit the spotter and they sent one priority for free. I will be buying some of there binos before next season.

10x42 viper HDs are the best bang for the buck, the difference between these and my buddies swaros convinced me that there is no way I would ever pay the swaro price. Are they swaros? no are they real close? Yes. Buy them and put the extra money towards a spotter or whatever else you want

Titaniumman

Lil-Rokslider
I just got back from a 5 day mule deer hunt in New Mexico and had the opportunity to use a pair of Swaro EL 10x42's. We did a ton of glassing and the Swaros are great. The interesting part is I aloso had my new Vortex Viper HD 10x42 with me. Several of us compared the two and quite honestly none of us could see any difference visually. The Swaros are longer body wise which make them a little more comfortable for me, but not $1800 worth. Here's another vote for Viper HD's